Part III: Smilefan Patch Thread

Great sounding Steel String patch, but man does it ever clip on my setup even with your output level at -13.6!!!! Anywhere you suggest to cut some level without destroying the tone? I cut back about 10db's on the amp level to get the clip light to stop coming on, but it doesn't sound quite as awesome......

Lots of folks noting the very hot levels. Unfortunately, if you turn it down, you lose the tone. There really isn't a way to
reproduce the clean Steel String Singer sound at a low listening level. The real thing will rattle the windows on "1"!

Lots of folks noting the very hot levels. Unfortunately, if you turn it down, you lose the tone. There really isn't a way to
reproduce the clean Steel String Singer sound at a low listening level. The real thing will rattle the windows on "1"!
Help us understand that, smilefan. Can't levels be scaled in the Axe-FX without changing the tone? In other words, does there have to be output clipping in order to make it sound right? :)

By the way, huge props for this thread! You're passing along wonderful stuff. This kind of advice is hard to find...anywhere. And you're bringing it, massaged for the box we play with. Bravo!

Help us understand that, smilefan. Can't levels be scaled in the Axe-FX without changing the tone? In other words, does there have to be output clipping in order to make it sound right? :)

By the way, huge props for this thread! You're passing along wonderful stuff. This kind of advice is hard to find...anywhere. And you're bringing it, massaged for the box we play with. Bravo!

There are nuances (mostly in string attack and compression) that volume brings out, that do not survive a significant drop in level.
The same is true of tube amps, especially with clean signals.

Sure, but I think he's asking why it's not the same if you increase the volume of your external amplification or on the outside of the Axe? It really should be, no? (that's what I suspect Cliff would say)

Sure, but I think he's asking why it's not the same if you increase the volume of your external amplification or on the outside of the Axe? It really should be, no? (that's what I suspect Cliff would say)
This.

I totally get the volume thing. You need volume to make the tone dance. But you should be able to accomplish that without clipping the Axe's output.

For me, it's no big deal. Once I figured out the weirdness that happened to the patch, the clipping was minimal and easily tamed. Mott had to drop his amp level by 10 dB to stop the clipping. In fairness, he may be having the same weirdness I had.

Mott: try reloading the patch and see if the clipping problem is fixed.

NOTE: Effective 01/27/2012 all patches on Smilefan's Patch Thread are now fully updated to Firmware 5.0!
This man never sleeps! I couldn't get better service if I were paying someone to update patches. Thanks, smilefan!

****NOTE: EFFECTIVE 01/27/2012 ALL POSTED PATCHES ON PTS. I, II, & III OF THIS PATCH THREAD ARE
NOW RE-WRITTEN AND RE-EDITED FOR FIRMWARE 5.0!!***

You'll see a couple missing. I'm not happy with them, and they'll be back after an overhaul.
Most patches got a detailed re-edit, and now have 'feel' qualities absent in earlier Firmwares.
I believe 5.0 is a real step forward in realism, and tutorials on how to get the most from it are coming.

Here's my 5.0 updated Zip File with all 90 of my patches (and 2 IR's for the top row cabs
of "Gibson FlatTop" and "Axe Cello", as their names will imply). This includes a couple
retired patches no longer posted on the threads:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/42749093/Smilefan 5.zip

****NOTE: EFFECTIVE 01/27/2012 ALL POSTED PATCHES ON PTS. I, II, & III OF THIS PATCH THREAD ARE

Here's my 5.0 updated Zip File with all 90 of my patches (and 2 IR's for the top row cabs
of "Gibson FlatTop" and "Axe Cello", as their names will imply). This includes a couple

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/42749093/Smilefan 5.zip

Oh great, more totally non-productive time for me. I'm still trying out the new V5 factory presets and now have to try all of yours again! The worst part is that almost every one of them I find to be useful for something, so I never get to a place where I can say "that's enough!"

I've had my II for almost six months and I'm still just having fun auditioning and using other people's presets. I have my Bank A reserved for my own presets and user downloads; so far, I have ten of my own and the rest of the bank seems to be filled mostly with yours. Thanks a lot!

Seriously, thanks a lot! It's a ton of work and time for you to do this, and it's greatly appreciated.

Danny W.

smilefan said:

You'll see a couple missing. I'm not happy with them, and they'll be back after an overhaul.
Most patches got a detailed re-edit, and now have 'feel' qualities absent in earlier Firmwares.
I believe 5.0 is a real step forward in realism, and tutorials on how to get the most from it are coming.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/42749093/Smilefan%205.zip

You are the man! Thanks so much for taking the time to rework all of these great patches for us!

I have just started creating tutorials, a very 101 beginners concept that spawned from describing the effects of the new dynamics features, and it's all in hopes to bring more people up to speed to share what their experimenting with in the pursuit of tone. Guys like yourself, Austin Buddy, who can forget Mark Day (where have you been Mark?), and so many others, make this community what it is and inspire us all. My contributions are very basic, but it's my attempt to give back for those just starting out. The advanced topics, I feel, are covered very well all throughout the forum so I'm trying to bridge the distance from the person 'just starting out' bringing them to the intermediate level where they can get the get the most out of their purchase.

One day I hope to pick you're brain on the finer aspects of your approach to creating great tone.

Maybe we should have an 'Axe Fest' (or some name for an Axe FX convention) at some point in NH where some of the contributes can do clinics? This would really be useful for everyone and a small admission could even cover the cost of renting a nice location. Having it close to Fractal headquarters would increase the possibility of the participation of that team...

Thanks again!

Smilefan thanks once again for the update, can't wait to try them out.
Have you ever tried the emulate a Niles Rodgers funky sound, I think he went straight into the desk and through a twin ( I'm probably wrong)?

This man never sleeps! I couldn't get better service if I were paying someone to update patches.

Except he's not getting paid, or even getting any official recognition, that I have seen.

Still can't get over that. Smilefan, why, with all the tutorials, advise, and demonstration patches,
do you devote this much time giving free aftermarket customer support for a company that
doesn't know you exist? If I had your level of knowledge, I wouldn't give it away (but eternally
grateful that you share with us!).

Spent time with your 5.0 patches today. Unbelievable. Why aren't you a staff patchwriter
for Fractal? Your patches showcase the Axe II's abilities and range alot better, as a whole,
than the stock patches. Amazing creativity. I vote for a "Smilefan" bank to come stock
with Axe II! (in fact, you just about have a full bank!)

You've been continuing your amazing threads for about 6 months now. Hope some company
person takes 5 minutes out to at least give you an "attaboy" for all the time and thoughtful
effort you've put in.

Except he's not getting paid, or even getting any official recognition, that I have seen.

Still can't get over that. Smilefan, why, with all the tutorials, advise, and demonstration patches,
do you devote this much time giving free aftermarket customer support for a company that
doesn't know you exist? If I had your level of knowledge, I wouldn't give it away (but eternally
grateful that you share with us!).

Spent time with your 5.0 patches today. Unbelievable. Why aren't you a staff patchwriter
for Fractal? Your patches showcase the Axe II's abilities and range alot better, as a whole,
than the stock patches. Amazing creativity. I vote for a "Smilefan" bank to come stock
with Axe II! (in fact, you just about have a full bank!)

You've been continuing your amazing threads for about 6 months now. Hope some company
person takes 5 minutes out to at least give you an "attaboy" for all the time and thoughtful
effort you've put in.

+1

I'm sure Fractal knows what smilefan has been doing for the community. It would be impossible for any forum regular to miss, and a lot of Fractal folks are forum regulars. As for me, I'm just sitting here grateful for his talent and generosity.

Last edited:
Also need to add my appreciation and admiration for Smilefan's work, both on making patches and the fabulous information he adds to the patches. Thank you very much. I hope you realize that you really touch a whole community of people who loves what you do.

Smilefan thanks once again for the update, can't wait to try them out.
Have you ever tried the emulate a Niles Rodgers funky sound, I think he went straight into the desk and through a twin ( I'm probably wrong)?

Nile Rodgers uses Japanese-made Tokai Strat replicas (really good guitars) with Music Man amps,
or direct into the board. He plays mainly on the 2nd position (Bridge & Middle PU, out of phase).
All his effects are post production tricks (like gating his guitar track for use as a trigger for horn
sections and such).

He's a fascinating guy. He started as the staff guitar player for the world famous Apollo Theater pit band in Harlem.
He and his bass player partner, Bernard Edwards, are one of the most famous production teams of all time.
He has great taste in his Funk playing, almost never playing rhythms with the chord roots, but only
extensions notes and chord fragments. Very jazzy.

Last edited:
TUTORIAL:
AMPLIFIER ‘ADVANCED’ PAGE PT. 3
IN THE BELLY OF THE BEAST

I know everyone wants to hear about the new 5.0 parameters now. Having
spent many hours last week working with the new Dynamics and Bias settings I
can tell you these controls are subtle “icing on the cake” for an already well-designed
patch. You can make noticeable changes to string attack, and ‘feel’ with them. However, there
are more important and basic parameters to first master. So, I will do a Dynamic’s Page
tutorial shortly, but we are going to learn to ‘walk before we run’, and finish the Advanced Page
discussion. In our last tutorial we got thru reviewing the Power Amp Bias control,
and what it does sonically. The following settings down the Advanced Page menu
are some of the most critical for your amp model’s sound:

DAMPING – In an amplifier circuit, negative feedback refers to the "feeding back" of a small amount
of signal from a later part of the circuit to an earlier part, usually from a tap on the output
transformer back to the phase inverter. The applied negative feedback improves amp performance
in a number of ways, but what concerns us is the damping factor it produces. Because the feedback
decreases output impedance, it causes the amp to react less to the speakers. This is ‘damping’.

Our Damping control ranges from 0.00 to 10.0. Sonically, the closer you set
the value to 0.00 the more ‘old school/vintage’ and smooth the string feel will be.
Amp volume will seem to drop. As you turn up towards 10.0 the response becomes
much louder, tighter, and punchier. More reminiscent of modern hi gain amps.
This is one of the most powerful controls on the Advanced page for determining
amp “feel”. If you were trying to create a small, old Fender amp, you’d want
your settings around 2-3. For a modern gain monster, 7-10. Some vintage amp
models also, will sound very realistic with higher Damp settings, like Twin (Double
Verb) and Hiwatt (Hipower) models.

MAINS IMPEDANCE (SAG) – In a tube amplifier there are physical components
of the amp which impede the flow of power in the instance of large transient
signal spikes (like slamming a hard power chord). Principally, the transformers,
filter capacitors, and rectifier (if it’s a vacuum tube). The power supply voltage
falls off in the spike, producing a momentary ‘squish’ in the signal, known as “Sag”.
Solid state amps do not produce this effect, only Class AB tube amps (there is no
sag in true class A amps as full output power is always present).

Sag is what makes old tube amps sound/feel cool. That dynamic reactance
to your playing. Our control goes from 0.01 to 10.0 (a 0.00 setting turns the
power amp emulation completely off, leaving you with just the preamp
portion of the simulation). The closer to 0.01, the tighter and more solid-state
like the attack will be (essential for extreme hi gain settings). The closer to 10.0,
the looser the feel and string attack. I personally love sag (being an old guy),
and wish we had an even greater range with this control. Try dialing more Sag
into your next patch!

B+ TIME CONSTANT – “B+” refers to one of the high voltage ‘taps’ or outputs
of the main power transformer. This parameter controls the nature of its
interaction with the amp’s rectifier (to which this ‘tap’ is attached in real amps).
The range of our control goes from 1ms to 100ms. Setting the value towards
1.00ms will increase the ‘vintage’ feel, giving your string attack more sweetness
and bounce. Closer to 100ms will make attack more aggressive, tighter, and
slightly louder.

TRIODE 1 & 2 PLATE FREQUENCY – These are a couple of my favorite controls
on the Advanced page. I use it to dial out sharpness in string attack to make the
amp models in my patches sound smooth and sweet. Their range goes from
400-40000Hz, which is huge. Generally, they are preset to the top of their
range (some amp models are preset to lower values), but I usually drop
them down below 10000Hz. On some of my Tweed-style patches clear
down around 2200Hz! If you are going for a sweet, sing-y lead tone,
these controls are the fastest way to get it. Try playing with these, and
setting them by ear in your next patch. You’ll be surprised how exactly
you can dial in your desired ‘smoothness/cut’ with these controls.

Back next week with more Advanced page mysteries. If Cliff keeps evolving
the amp models, and adding parameters, like he has been, we may never be
done reviewing this page! ;)

Last edited:
Smilefan--can you go into detail on the difference between Triode 1 & Triode 2? What does each separately do?

I've copied the table of contents from the formatted version of these threads (available HERE) to give you an idea of just how many presets Smilefan has posted here, along with a wealth of background material and an increasing amount of tutorials. Unfortunately the formatting of the TOC is mostly lost when posting here.

Thanks again for all the hard work, Smilefan!

I keep the formatted version up-to-date on a more or less daily basis.
Code:
[FONT=Helvetica][B]Preface    5
[/B][/FONT]Tutorial: Programming Secrets Of The Stars - Amp Parametrics    5
[B]Part I    5[/B]
Blonde Bassman -  '62 Blonde Bassman.syx‎    5
Custom IRs    5
Blonde Bassman Lead –  Blonde Bassman Lead.syx‎    6
Custom IRs    6
Matchless DC30 Chime –  Matchless DC30 Chime.syx‎    6
Custom IRs    6
Jumbo Jet Plexi –  Jumbo Jet Plexi.syx‎    6
Custom IR    6
Jumbo Jet SLO –  Jumbo Jet SLO.syx‎    6
Custom IR    6
Are U Fuzzvibed? -  Are U Fuzzvibed.syx‎    7
Custom IR    7
Galloping Delay –  Galloping Delays.syx‎    7
Custom IR    7
Brit Flavor Feedback Loop –  Brit Flavor Fdbk Loop.syx‎    7
The Flange Gods -   The Flange Gods.syx    7
Eaten BY Flangers –  Eaten By Flangers.syx‎    7
The Naughty Wah –  The Naughty Wah.syx    8
Custom IRs    8
’58 Tweed Deluxe -  '58 Tweed Deluxe.syx    9
Brownface Deluxe –  Brownface Deluxe.syx    9
Custom IRs    9
True Vibrato –  True Vibrato.syx‎    9
AC-30 Glory –  AC30 Glory (stock).syx‎    10
Custom IRs    10
THE BLACK SPEECH –  The Black Speech.syx‎    10
Marshall JTM 45/100 –  Marshall JTM 45 100.syx‎    10
Custom IRs    10
Gibson Flattop –  Gibson FlatTop v2.syx    11
Custom IR    11
Mini-Tutorial - PEQ    11
Jimi’s Bad Trip –  Jimi's Bad Trip.syx‎    12
’59 Tweed Bassman –  '59 Tweed Bassman.syx‎    12
Fun Bassman Tidbits    12
Custom IR    12
Klingon Bird of Prey –  Klingon Bird of Prey.syx‎    13
Tasty Brown –  Tasty Brown.syx‎    14
The Devil’s Trem –  The Devil's Trem.syx‎    14
Axe Cello –  Axe Cello.syx‎    15
Blowtorch Plexi –  Blowtorch Plexi.syx    16
Custom IRs    16
Alien Warning –  Alien Warning!.syx‎    16
Tone Doctor + Klon –  Doctor Z + Klon.syx‎    16
Custom IRs    16
Big Fender Trem –  Big Fender Trem.syx    17
Custom IRs    17
Budda Twinmaster + Klon –  Budda Twinmaster+Klon.syx    17
Custom IRs    17
Fender P Bass –  Fender P Bass.syx    18
Fender J Bass –  Fender J Bass.syx    18
HiWatt Rig with Big Muff –  Hiwatt + Big Muff.syx‎    19
Custom IR    19
Morley Power Wah –  Morley Power Wah.syx    20
Custom IRs    20
Suck It (Dry) –  Suck It (Dry).syx‎    21
Suck It Flangers –  Suck It Flanger.syx‎    21
Suck It Chorus –  Suck It Chorus.syx‎    21
50W Plexi + Fuzzface –  50W Plexi + Fuzzface.syx‎    22
Custom IRs    22
50W JMP with Rat Pedal –  50W JMP + Rat Pedal.syx‎    23
Custom IRs    23
50W JCM800 Rock Rig –  50W JCM800 Rock Rig.syx    24
Custom IR    24
Fear Made Flesh –  Fear Made Flesh.syx    24
Vintage ADA Flanger –  Vintage ADA Flanger.syx‎    24
Code:
[B]Part II    25[/B]
Eric Johnson’s Singing Plexi    25
Moog Synth    27
Big Brown Fender    28
Magic Funky Filter    30
Night Falls    31
Chop Trem Filter    32
Electric Organs    33
Vox Continental Organ    33
Farfisa Organ    33
Stevie Ray Vaughn’s Vibroverbs    34
Interesting SRV Facts:    35
Terminator Wah    36
Ship Ahoy Filter    37
Indian Raga Band    38
Night in the Taj    39
MK Ultra    41
Duane Allman - Fillmore    42
The Amps    42
The Guitar    42
The Effects    43
The Man    43
Technoid Delays    44
Adrian Belew’s Elephants    45
Rock Drummer    46
Terrifying Thirds    47
‘Til Summer Comes    47
Space Trippin’    47
Santana Abraxas    48
Santana Abraxas Redux    49
Brad Paisley’s Dr. Z    50
More Brad Paisley    50
Neal Schon/Early Journey    51
AC-30 Glory    52
Custom IRs    52
Steel Drums    52
Larry Carlton’s ES-335    53
Keef’s Tweeds    54
Orange Kay Fuzz    56
Ritchie Blackmore    57
Interesting Blackmore facts    57
Rock ‘n Roll Fender J Bass    59
Who’s That Lady    60
Pat Metheny Roland Gr300    61
Gibson J45 Flat Top Redux    61
’64 BF Deluxe Reverb    62
Code:
[B]Part III    63[/B]
Tutorial: Forbidden Secrets of The Drive Blocks!    63
Drive Blocks Pg. 1:    63
Drive Blocks Pg. 2:    63
Drive Blocks Pg. 3:    64
Getting creative with the Drive Blocks:    64
Neil Young’s 59’ Tweed Deluxe 5E3    65
Version 2    65
Neil Young - Tweed Deluxe with Magnatone    65
Fascinating Neil Young Facts:    66
Gear!    66
Lincoln Brewster    67
Tutorial: Amp Model Speaker Impedance Page - The Programmer’s Paint Brush    68
How to Control the Curve Shape:    68
The Pay-Off:    68
Acquiring Surgical Skill(z):    69
Matchless DC30 Chime Redux    70
Warm Bath Clean    70
Gibson Flattop Re-edit    70
Tutorial: The Amp Model “Advanced” Page    71
Part 1: The Full Monty Geek-Out    71
Part 2: Mastering Your Machine    73
50W JCM800 Rock Rig - now with Dumble Tonestack    74
Brian May’s “Deacy” Amp    74
The Guitar    74
The Amps    74
Effects    74
Stereo Dejavibe    75
John Mayer's Dumble Steel String Singer    76
Tutorial: Amplifier ‘Advanced’ Page    78
Part 3: In the Belly of the Beast    78

Smilefan--can you go into detail on the difference between Triode 1 & Triode 2? What does each separately do?

There is a slight difference in the sound of each, but its SO subtle, it hardly bears discussion.
The best way I've found to conceptualize it is, if the lower Triode 2 is set higher than Triode 1
the more "Marshall-y" it will sound, adding in upper midrange emphasis. If Triode 2 is set lower
than 1, it will tend to sound more "Fender-y", with a smoother, lower midrange emphasis.

I recommend you take a basic, low-to-mid distortion amp patch and give these a careful listen
in a quiet room. Take each Triode setting thru its range and listen to how they interact.
Its subtle, but hearable.

Thanks again for all the hard work, Smilefan!

I keep the formatted version up-to-date on a more or less daily basis.

Thank YOU, LMO, for all your diligent work keeping up with my ramblings!

Stay tuned. Patchmaker-extraordinaire, AustinBuddy, and myself have a few
"famous player" patches in the works that will really show the kind of string
'feel' and attack dynamics you can get out of 5.0!

EDIT: 02/15/2012 Another sneaky update of my Larry Carlton "Steeley Dan"-era
tone. Alot of folks were having problems with the patch using excessive CPU.
Should be fine now!

Attachments

• Mr.335-Steely Dan v2.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom