Part II: Smilefan's Axe II Patch Thread

Wow....
I never paid attention to this thread because for me there are enough free sources on the net to make presets but it is invaluable.
Pictures, story and howto wow....
Thanks a lot, this is the best thread i have ever read on FAF.
You should write a book and sell it on amazon or ebay, i will buy it.

Thanks smilefan for the hard work,
mba.

w_Pat_Metheny__william_ellis-2.jpg

Pat Metheny with Roland's GR808 synth guitar.

Forum member, Patzag, had a great thread a while back concerning jazz guitar
legend, Pat Metheny, and his use of the Roland GR300 guitar synth. I was so intrugued with
Patzag's GR300 patch, that I used it as a starting point to do my own take on Pat's
beautiful synth tone on his famous song, "Are You Going With Me?":

Pat comes in at 3:12 -
Are You Going With Me - Quality Version (Rare Video) - YouTube

You'll be surprised to know that Pat has won 18 Grammy Awards since his
breakout album, "Bright Size Life".

This patch is not going to be able to exactly match the sound/capabilities
of the Roland GR300, as that is a polyphonic unit. Our synth's are only monophonic.
But it sounds pretty good anyway.

EDIT: Effective 01/02/2012, per conversations with Patzag, patch has been
rewritten to sound more "trumpet-like".

Attachments

• Are You Going With Me.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Love Metheny! My favorite is "The Road To You". It's a live album recorded in Europe, simply sensational. The entire crowd sings the last song with the band, just great.
Looking forward to your 4.0 patches!

Thanks as always Smilefan. This thread deserves a sticky. There is just too much knowledge here to ever be lost in the back of the forums. :)

hello Smilefan. Have just joined the forum site and and have recently bought the Axe FX II. I have just stated reading your threads and am staggered by your knowledge and commitment! Anyway, i have a pre-set request, and although it might seem embarrasing (particularly to all the hard rockers out there) it is for the guitar solo sound in Donna summers 'Hot Stuff'. I think it is a great sound but i cant seem to get anything like it at all. I would grearly appreciate it if you could have a stab a it. Also, if you have time, what about Mike Sterns clean chorusy lead sound? Hope you have a great new year - Nozza

although it might seem embarrasing (particularly to all the hard rockers out there) it is for the guitar solo sound in Donna summers 'Hot Stuff'. I think it is a great sound but i cant seem to get anything like it at all. I would grearly appreciate it if you could have a stab a it.

Thanks so much for the support. I am really happy you guys want to know all the otherwise useless guitar
info in my head. Donna Summer's famous "Hot Stuff". Do you know who played that bad-assed solo?
Jeff "Skunk" Baxter of the Doobie Brothers! It was quite the scandal for a pro of his stature to play on
a Disco record, at the time. Did you know that Jeff played with Hendrix for a while? (Jimmy James and the
Blue Flames). That solo has more to do with his chops than this tone.

I can tell you that Jeff is almost certainly playing a stock 70's CBS Strat to get that hard, cutting, aggressive
tone. And he almost certainly used a mid-sized Fender Brownface (like a Concert model), or Tweed.
That tone he's getting in that solo isn't a Marshall.

Last edited:
Really appreciate the "Old" Story's(as beeing part of that time)

An learned a lot from your patches

happy New year

Roland

And pls keep them coming

... I am really happy you guys want to know all the otherwise useless guitar
info in my head. ...

Useless? You're kidding, right? Where else could I go to obtain the knowledge you've dumped here? I'd love to sit down and listen to your music collection with you dumpping real time about what we were listening to. I think my head would explode though.

Attachments

• scanners_exploding_head.gif
    scanners_exploding_head.gif
    834.2 KB · Views: 7
DlxReverbFront.jpg

Yet another vintage amp history lesson today. Up to bat is
the immortal Fender Blackface Deluxe Reverb. Manufactured
from 1963-1967, at the time it was released, it, along with the other
amps of the Blackface series, were game changers. It sounded great for
every kind of then-popular music, and had the two most desirable amp effects
of the day, tube-driven tremolo and reverb. It is hard to put into words just
how woven into the fabric of American popular music the BF Deluxe Reverb is.

The essential and most successful Blackface models were the Deluxe, the Super,
and the Twin. But Leo had his marketing act together for the BF’s. There was a
Blackface amp for every speaker and power tube configuration, and every
price point. The Fender Blackfaces were far and away the most successful
tube amplifier series ever designed. An instant smash to the point that
musicians were spray painting older Tweed models black, rather than suffer
the humiliation of playing an amp that looked like your Grandma’s luggage.

The Deluxe Reverb is legend. I doubt there was a ‘60’s/‘70’s/’80’s Country star
that didn’t use the Deluxe. Blues players made it their own. Pop players,
R&B, Soul, Funk guitarists all loved it. Any pro who played small clubs had one.
Its 1x12” speaker with 2 6V6 power section got right into its sweet spot in a
50-200 seat room. Sweet, snappy, and trebly with a sing-y, blues-y midrange the
Deluxe could do anything but hard rock/metal, and do it well.

Every pro I ever knew changed out the very average sounding stock Oxford 12”
speaker, they generally came with, to something better. Jensen C12Q’s, C12N’s,
JBL’s, Altecs, early Electro-Voice’s, even Celestion Blues. A BF Deluxe with an
upgraded speaker and a pair of RCA Blackplate 6V6 power tubes is one of the
all-time classic amplifier voices. If you can’t get a good sound out of one,
maybe electric guitar isn’t your thing!

Also, one of the most recorded amps of all time. My personal favorite example
is Chris Isaak’s “Wicked Game”. It is a little known fact that the Beatles used
BF Deluxes in the studio, heavily, on every record after “The White Album”,
not Vox’s as was generally assumed. The most famous current user is probably
Trey Anastasio (Phish) – his is modded to use two Celestion Greenbacks.

The patch features an optional Klon Centaur-style booster in front of the amp,
for some vintage grit. Twang on!

Attachments

• '64 BF Deluxe + Klon.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
As a 'veteran' player (tunring 61 this year), I can't tell you how much I've been enjoying your threads. The amount of historical information is staggering and thoroughly enjoyable, plus all these great patches. In fact it's so good that I'm planning on printing out the entire threads and putting together a 'reference' binder..

I'm still waiting for my II but I've been going through your threads and downloading all your patches to a folder so I can hit the ground running when my II arrives. I'm sure your patches will save me a huge amount of tweaking time.

Huge thanks!! and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Smilefan.

Thank you again for sharing.

I am still waiting my Axe FX II ...

My best wishes for the New Year 2012 to all .

I played a Deluxe Reverb for a time,long ago-->I made a patch allready from AXE STD onwards (usually Smilefans is better) and I can compare close --> what I will do in next days*

Happy new year

Roland

*Sorry still cannot mic and record it
Apart having modern non junk parts the MV is illegal not original

I haven't posted much but have been a long time lurker and recent Axe II owner. Sad to say I haven't got to spend much time playing due to illness & treatments. I really appreciate Smilefan's work and sharing along with everyone else who makes this community special. I've assembled all of Smilefan's info & pics for all the patches on this second thread into a PDF for everyone to go along with the patches he has generously shared. Sorry all the formatting isn't cleaned up but I will try to do that over the next few days. If I have missed anything in his posts please let me know. In the meantime have a happy new year.

Download PDF at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/55208512/Smilefan's Axe II Thread Pt2.pdf.zip

Edit 1/3/12:

I used LMO's Word file and created a PDF from it as Word files tend to reposition photos and can be erratic on different systems. On my system photos had moved and there were no page numbers. I hope LMO doesn't mind (since he posted the file for all anyway) as he had info from both the I and II threads.

Here is the link to the new PDF file and again a special thanks to LMO for all his work.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/55208512/Smilefans_Patch_Comments Numbered.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks for your work trsaudio and obviously thanks to Smilefan for the usefull patches.

Back
Top Bottom