Part II: Smilefan's Axe II Patch Thread

smilefan -- I'd like to add my thanks to everyone else's for the work you've done in these threads and patches. It is a tremendous learning experience for me. I'm curious, do you have go to sites for finding out about what equipment was used on a particular track or by a particular artist? I often don't know where to start when trying to put together a patch.

You're thinking of high-gain amps with master volume controls. On other amps, and those without MV knobs, you'll usually want to crank your Axe-FX Master Volume prameter to push the power amp sim.

Judging by the tones, I'd say smilefan got 'em right. :)

Thanks for the answer!

-Ken

Smilefan - I ran through a lot of your patches last night and they're great - gives me lots of info and ideas. The Stone in Schon patch is great also - really gets me much closer to what I was looking for. Thanks for you time in working on these - invaluable information.

Smilefan - another question, in regards to the AC30 Glory patch. Its the school of thought to crank the master on the AC30 most of the time? I was getting some more chimey clean tones with the master about 6.5 or so and the gain up a little bit more - does that make any sense? I know to go with what sounds good to you, but I was wondering if perhaps I had something else different with the EQ or need to play around with boosting prior to the amp. Just wondering what you thought.

This is a very cool thread. Thanks Smilefan.

Edit: OK, I went back and actually played through these patches now... Holy shit, they are great! You are a master tweaker, Smilefan. Great job on these. Very fun.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great patch idea, Rick! Try some leads on the bridge PU with the Tone rolled
off a bit.

Thanks Smilefan! Really awesome to read.. you worked @ the infinity tour? Wow.. man you really have experienced a journey hehe! ;) Cool man.
The patch is awesome, thanks!! Do you know if the fernandes sustainer effect can be simulated? His tone on the Bad English records is pretty solid as well, think he used a Mesa for that (not sure).

I'll give you another idea... the screaming, roaring lead tone of Steve Rothery (Marillion) just been @ 2 concerts this week of Marillion, amazing live sound... almost blew my head off, lol! Love 2 see the Groove Tubes Trio pre-amp on the axe.. a highly underestimated pre-amp(!!!).

smilefan said:
A youthful Neil Schon? Or Ben Stiller doing a 70's parody?
(That's Neil and his 'fro in 1979)

This one is for new member Rick Axis. He wants early Journey, and that's a sound I know up close
and personal. I was working concert security when they were on the "Infinity" tour, and saw Neil's
rig in detail. So this patch is a pretty decent representation of his live tone at that time.

Neil was a gear hound, and changed guitars often, but it was mostly Les Pauls thru a rather unusual
amp for a pro of his stature, a Peavey Mace. The Mace was a 180W amp with SIX 6L6 power tubes
and a solid state preamp. It sounded like ass at anything less than concert volume. He got almost
all his distortion/sustain from pedals.

One of the trademarks of his sound in those days was the use of a "cocked wah".
A wah in the 'on' position but not played, just left at the EQ notch position he wanted,
for a middy, sing-y, vowel-like effect. He also used a compressor pedal, and a British-made Colorsound Overdriver (made famous by Jeff Beck). I was amazed how much smooth gain he got out of that rig even thru the super clean Peavey.

I used a Hiwatt Normal model to simulate the Mace, as it is the most powerful "clean-ish" amp we have
in the Axe. We don't have a Colorsound Overdrive in the Axe (Cliff!! Please!?), so I used a maxed out
Tape Distortion to simulate its warm, urgent sing. Note that I've got the Hi Cut down to 767Hz.
This is how you dial in a warm, vintage-style distortion with clarity using our drive blocks. Set the Hi Cut very low and leave the treble register clean (I used this same trick on the Duane Allman patch).

Thanks for the great patch idea, Rick! Try some leads on the bridge PU with the Tone rolled
off a bit.

Skynyrd also played through Maces well. Gary rossington certainly got plenty of gain out of his Mace.
I may have to snag one off ebay so i can profile it!

I have a strange patch request for ya! Steel drums. There is a way cool youtube vid from EHX where they get a pretty convincing steel drum patch using a pog and poly chorus. The pog just did an octave up so that should be doable in the box. The poly chorus had a mode called filter matrix or simlar that gets the metalic tone.

Been messing around playing some reggae and want to vsit jamaica in january hence the weird request!

I have a strange patch request for ya! Steel drums. There is a way cool youtube vid from EHX where they get a pretty convincing steel drum patch using a pog and poly chorus. The pog just did an octave up so that should be doable in the box. The poly chorus had a mode called filter matrix or simlar that gets the metalic tone.

Been messing around playing some reggae and want to vsit jamaica in january hence the weird request!

I've always thought a steel drums patch would be cool too

I've held back making any requests mostly because I'm in awe of the amount of time smilefan has taken to share so much history and dial in all those sounds. But, regular forumites know I've got a thing for the sounds of a Little Walter, so smilefan, if you're so inclined, how about taking a whack at it? Here is a demo by Dan Tyack--> Little Walter Demo Clips, and another of Paul Franklin with the Time Jumpers--> Sweet Memories.

Dear smilefan

Huge thank you for all this effort and sharing the patches

If you have spare time(no high priority) could you have a look into Santana's Abraxas sound(just guitar,eventually instead of SG's HB's with Strat single coil

thanks

Roland

(Also obsessed by the old stuff)

Smilefan - another question, in regards to the AC30 Glory patch. Its the school of thought to crank the master on the AC30 most of the time? I was getting some more chimey clean tones with the master about 6.5 or so and the gain up a little bit more - does that make any sense? I know to go with what sounds good to you, but I was wondering if perhaps I had something else different with the EQ or need to play around with boosting prior to the amp. Just wondering what you thought.

Yes, on our sim the master should be close to '10' for any AC-30 tone. Note that, even though this is a very clean tone, the master is still at '10'. Real vintage AC-30 amps were never completely clean. They always had a little treble grind happening at volume, even on clean settings. If you like the master set lower, by all means. But to my ears, this is what it takes for our sims to sound accurate (played many vintage AC30's).

Note also in the patch, that I've got a hot compressor, plus a Tape Drive into the AC-30 input stage, in addition to master on '10', and its STILL very clean-ish (as the preamp drive is at 1.59).

EDIT: 01/09/2012, improved version of "AC30 Glory" with optional Klon booster and a very uniquely voiced trem posted:

Attachments

• AC30 Glory w Klon + Trem.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Yes, on our sim the master should be close to '10' for any AC-30 tone.

Thanks for that info. I was wondering why the AC30 preset #6 that comes with the II would have the master on 6.35 when everyone seems to say to crank it.

But thanks for the patch! It sounds great. Yes, very clean even with all those cranked components. I shall study it.

I was looking in the ballpark of this but with some more drive for a "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" patch. Have any expertise there with Mike Campbell? A crunchy AC30 seems to get in the ballpark but wondering if you had any of your masterful insight on that one.

Here you go. Santana Abraxas tone. Abraxas was the first record to feature the
then revolutionary Mesa Boogie Mark I amp. The patch is dual amp'ed, the upper for the trademark singing "Lead" channel, the lower for the "Rhythm".

This is just a slightly reworked version of my 'Santana Latin Rhythm' patch on pg. 11,
without the drum beat section (that patch was so complex because of the Synth drum circuitry that I don't think many got it to download successfully). Don't forget to try some jazzy Latin-style chords on the lower rhythm amp with your neck PU. Its very accurate to a real Mk. I.

THANKS A LOT

Give it a serious try tomorrow

Best regards

Roland

1404985_300.jpg

Forum members toasterdude and theblogjammers wanted steel drums.
Here is my crack at it.

In broad strokes you simulate steel drums sounds with a detuned, octave up
Pitch Block into a wide Chorus (around 40ms delay), with all the modulation dialed out.

Play single notes without bends, up around the 12th fret. If you have a Les Paul,
try the middle position with the neck tone rolled off. See what you think.

Attachments

• Steel Drums.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
images

keith_richards_afp_224601g-721260.jpg

Keith Richards with his famous '53 Tele, "Micawber"

Another labor of love for me today. And a reminder/refresher course for
you younger players who might not have been well exposed to him.
The immortal Keith Richards. He’s a little forgotten these days, but he
is almost certainly the greatest “riff” guitarist who ever lived. A pillar in the Temple
of Rock ‘n Roll. To be a well-rounded guitarists, you simply MUST spend
some time with “Keef”.

The Rolling Stones had probably the greatest career of any rock band.
They released over two dozen studio albums. Ten of those albums are among
Rolling Stone magazine's The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time, with their 1972
double album 'Exile on Main St.' placing seventh. My personal fav Stones albums
are Beggar’s Banquet, Let It Bleed, and Some Girls.

Keith has a massive love affair with guitars. He has a collection of over 3,000 instruments.
He is most associated with a 1953 Telecaster, which he named “Micawber” (after
a character in Dicken’s novel ‘David Copperfield’) – pictured above. He used many
different tunings but is most famous for his use of Open G.
He tunes D-G-D-G-B-D, then removes the low E string. He summed up his playing
as follows, “5 strings, 4 bars, 3 chords, 2 fingers, 1 asshole!”. He takes most of
his playing style from Chicago blues, and 50’s-60’s American Country music.
Not surprisingly, his two biggest influences were Chuck Berry and Muddy Waters.
He detests flashy playing, and praises players with “unpretentious” styles.

He seldom uses effects (but is famous for his use of the very first fuzz pedal,
the Maestro Fuzz, on "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction"). He states his formula for great
sound as, "the right guitar thru the right amp". For amps he has been most famous
for his live use of Ampegs, Mesa Boogies, and Fender Showmans (and lately Fender
Tweed Twins, like Clapton). But in the studio he always favors small to mid-sized
Fender tweed amps. So that’s what you’ve got in the below patch. A stereo pair
of honky, grind-y, mid happy tweeds. Enjoy.

EDIT: 01/06/2012 Amended patch to include very big-sounding vintage trem, ala' "Gimme Shelter".
You must bypass both Drive blocks and un-bypass both Trem blocks, at the end of the signal chains,
for it to work as intended.

Attachments

• Keef's Tweeds.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Have any expertise there with Mike Campbell? A crunchy AC30 seems to get in the ballpark but wondering if you had any of your masterful insight on that one.

campbellpetty.jpg

Here you go. A Mike Campbell-style, driven AC-30. You should be able to play open first position
chords, and still be able to hear every note. There is an optional FET drive for leads in the patch
as well. Try turning off one or both of the compressors to get cleaner tones. Helps if you play it
with single coil, or vintage style pickups (which Mike generally uses).

I have a fun, trashy anecdote about these guys. About 15 years ago they were
recording in L.A. My tech, and good friend, was hired to do some work to Tom
and Mike's guitars at the session (they are both vintage guitar freaks). He invited
me to come with him, as a tag along, for fun. When we opened the doors to the
studio they were in, we were practically knocked flat by a giant mushroom cloud
of pot smoke that billowed out. They were the biggest stoners I have ever seen.
I was amazed they got anything done.

EDIT: Effective 01/09/2012 improved version of patch posted:

Attachments

• Mike Campbell AC30.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Smilefan - thanks. I'm playing around with both Campbell patches you posted. I like the one you took down with the Fulltone drive as well - why did you pull that one? It actually seems to have a lot more life to it.

Thanks again for the patches! You are such a great resource - really appreciate the help and insight (and stories).

Back
Top Bottom