Parker Fly Owners and Fans

Not in the least. However, when the battery starts to go and the LED lights, it won't last long and the tone definitely starts to fizzle and thin out.

Here is a good resource for parts, advice, even a line with Ken Parker. And this is a decent spot for Parker fans to "meet".
https://flyclone.com/index.php

Yes likewise, what @Patzag said.

Thanks guys...I only play the Classic here and there these days but am going to install a new battery and spend more time with it.

That forum is awesome; thanks for the link and recommendation!

I wonder if you can even get a replacement flex wiring system if needed....???

That's answered here (!); a great resource that forum is:
https://flyclone.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=145

I remember when I first got mine, I didn't realize that plugging the instrument cable in turned on the guitar. A couple of days later, after leaving it plugged in all the time, the battery died and I was angry (the guitar was only like 4 days old). Then it dawned on me that I was just being a big baby, it had to turn stuff on somehow and started unplugging the guitar. When I was playing regularly with a group of guys, the battery slowly faded and I didn't really notice it until it was completely dead and the piezos stopped working (I had been playing exclusively on the mag pickups). Got a new battery in it and was so astounded that I recorded a screw-around track during a session break that I ended up naming "New batteries are awesome!" or something.

All these Parker images made me post these. Image of my beloved. And a close-up of the damage that led to my first post, damage to the thumb-side, between frets 5 and 6. The chair to the left is where the stoopid AC window unit was precariously placed. Cigar humidor to the right. Gas fireplace is in the background (power has gone out in the past and that fireplace saved my bacon (and bits)), don't use it otherwise.

Attachments

• IMG-2214.jpg
    IMG-2214.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG-2216.jpg
    IMG-2216.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 35
Oh, and the white trash bag contains a ~1996 10" Phoenix Gold XMax suboofer that some local "audio tech" blew 8 or 10 year ago. Tore the rubber surround from the basket, but I suspect the coil and everything else is okay. It's brother is fine. I'll try gluing the surround to the basket and make a boom box for my workshop. Or add it for kick bass to my 2018 4Runner Limited massive car audio build (JL Audio 12W7AE3, JL VX 800/8 and 1000/1 amps, 150 sqft of SoundSkin dampener, nice Pioneer head unit and JL C2/C5 speakers).

Shit man that’s ugly. Looks like the fretboard lamination is damaged as well. As a luthier and Parker enthusiast, I’d recommend not playing that any more, and having it repaired. Shazrock if you want a complete refund, though I don’t know if she can repair the fretboard for you or now.
To continue to play the guitar will further contaminate the damaged area with oils and other crud, which will make a successful repair less likely.

All these Parker images made me post these. Image of my beloved. And a close-up of the damage that led to my first post, damage to the thumb-side, between frets 5 and 6. The chair to the left is where the stoopid AC window unit was precariously placed. Cigar humidor to the right. Gas fireplace is in the background (power has gone out in the past and that fireplace saved my bacon (and bits)), don't use it otherwise.
She's a beauty. And the crack is not as drastic as @Musikron makes it sound. These guitars are very, very strong. Shaz can definitely fix that without problem.

Thanks everyone! That's not a delamination of the fingerboard. I think it is a glue/epoxy layer that binds the fingerboard to the neck exoskeleton. All the issues I heard about over the years with frets popping off doesn't seem to be an issue on mine - that AC unit hit the end of the 6th fret and if that didn't knock it loose, it ain't goin' nowhere!

I just got a couple custom pickups for my 96 Parker Fly from Peter @ Vintage Vibe Guitars.

A new hb for the bridge and a P90 for the neck.

Im stoked. Can’t wait to breath some new life into the old girl.

I’ll keep everyone posted when I have some results.

Attachments

• 8201D267-47BB-4D75-B8B8-26836054205E.jpeg
    8201D267-47BB-4D75-B8B8-26836054205E.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
I just got a couple custom pickups for my 96 Parker Fly from Peter @ Vintage Vibe Guitars.

wow. I am VERY interested in your results. I've been jonesing for a P90 for my Classic so this is definitely high on my radar.
Please let us know the results. Or better yet - Samples!

wow. I am VERY interested in your results. I've been jonesing for a P90 for my Classic so this is definitely high on my radar.
Please let us know the results. Or better yet - Samples!
@Patzag. I’ll be sure to keep you informed. You’ve been such a help to me through this forum as well as the old and new Parker forums!

Just trying to wrap my head around wiring the p90. I’m assuming if I wire the hot from the P90 to where the original HB was soldered to I’ll still have both pickups on in the middle position of 3 way switch.

My fly has the octopus ribbon wiring.

Wow, cool...a P90 for a Fly???? Are they specially built to mount the same as the exisiting Fly pickups (where two of the polepieces screw down to fasten them to the body)?

I've toyed often with wanting to change the pickups in mine but finding ones that will work with the unique way Parker mounts them hasn't presented too many options over the years. A P90 in the neck would be very sweet indeed....am curious how you'll find them too.

@Stratoblaster. The P90 and the HB from Vintage Vibe fit right into the Fly with no mods at all. Very slick.

Ive played my Parker’s to death for the last 20 years but with the improvements in the Axe3 I’ve really started to notice that the pickups aren’t quite there. I keep trying other guitars to get the tone, but I always miss the playability of the Parker.

Now I’ve got the best of both worlds and I’ll probably keep playing Parker’s until I’m 6 feet under.
Here are a couple of quick clips.

Thread 'Parker Fly and Cygnus'
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/parker-fly-and-cygnus.171164/

That P90 sounds great! Full bodied with nice chime....exactly how I love my P90 tones.

The HB sounds quite rich with a lot of fat mids, much different then my stock Fly pickups (which seem to be a bit mid-scooped overall). It sounds like it could be a fairly high output pickup...??

But yea, I looooove how that P90 sounds and works the the Fly....nice tone for sure (and playing...Pipeline is a great tune to show off it's character).

My all time greatest pawn shop score was a USA Parker Nite Fly for $450. The pickups and output jack needed to be replaced but it was all worth it.

Necro-bump!

I bought the same P90s as XRocker.
They do sound amazing. The problem in MY universe, is that I can't seem to get the FEEL I want each time I play single coils. It's really weird. My Southern, amazing as it was, remained unplayed for a year before I sold it. My Single 2 (SSH), as fantastic counding as it was (custom pick ups wound by The Seymour Duncan himself) - sold it. Could not FEEL it. But my 2 Flys with HBs are just the thing.
I even had a Custom Parker - 3 single coils, 22 frets, best fretboard I ever played. Could not bond with the feel of the single coils. Weird!

Anyways, long story short, if anybody wants my P90s (Neck and Bridge) PM me. They are for sale. I got my old HBs back in my Deluxe.

Back
Top Bottom