Pardon my ignorance if I just realized this.....

ptgold

Inspired
Low volume or extremely low volume playing sounds better (bigger) scooping the Mids

High volume playing sounds better (IMO) cranking the Mids

At least for the styles I play. I should have realized this earlier, its probably why the V eq shape is so popular in home stereos and such.

yeah I always kept hearing about fletcher munson curve but didnt realize how it worked.

Im not really the type of player who likes scooped mids as I play no metal.....recently though Ive been playing till late and had to lower the volume to around 60-70 decibels. I couldnt get the same big feeling on my tone unless I started dropping the mids...........I just rediscovered the wheel.

Ha
Well done on your discovery. There is a whole fun journey of discovery like that in learning the Axe Fx and learning more about sound engineering along the way.
I have learned a hell of a lot since being on this great forum.
It's another reason why music can be a lifelong passion. You never stop learning ...

Actually as mentioned in this thread >fletcher munson.
This IS the reason why the old loudness control on old stereos existed in the first place.
This gave a boost for lows and highs (smiley face EQ) and was to be used at low volumes.

The bottom line for adjusting your guitar tones is to do this at the volume you intend to play out at.
For the studio>Look into Bob Katz K-system to calibrate your VU and monitor levels.
Set up your monitoring levels at a correct reference level and tweak your AXE-FX II for this level.
This method will help ensure your tones will work across the wide variation of playback systems.....

I prefer to refer to them still as the Fletcher Munson curve, because they deserve the recognition. Not only were they the first to measure this , but read this quote from the Wikipedia page:

" new set of curves standardized as ISO 226:2003. The report comments on the surprisingly large differences, and the fact that the original Fletcher-Munson contours are in better agreement with recent results than the Robinson-Dadson, which appear to differ by as much as 10–15 dB especially in the low-frequency region, for reasons that are not explained."

Back
Top Bottom