Parametric EQ tip - 'Contouring your sound'

I'm not necessarily looking for free, but free's always nice. :roll:

$800, or even $400 for the "Standard" version which I'm sure is also quite capable is a bit off budget for me.

I'm just looking for something to help point out whatever peaks & valleys there might be in my Axe programming... :ugeek:

I've tried iSpectrum and that seems to work, but I'd like something that displays semi-stable bars instead of squiggly lines...

WoW.. just wanted to thank you about this thread...This Para-Eq is really amazing... It transformed one of my so-so tones to ones that I reaally really dig... I couldnt stopped playing yesterday :shock:
It took the low end fuzz that was in my tones using the Powerball amp... to a more clear, articulate and "toasted" metal tone that I wasn't able to get using the Graph Eq or playing with the amp's drive, master, etc... Now I am a happy Axer :) , btw, I am using a Mesa Mark IV as poweramp and a 2x12 with V30... hope the FR I am buying will bring more fun to the equation hehe...

Thanks a lot...

joeymexico said:
WoW.. just wanted to thank you about this thread...This Para-Eq is really amazing... It transformed one of my so-so tones to ones that I reaally really dig... I couldnt stopped playing yesterday :shock:
It took the low end fuzz that was in my tones using the Powerball amp... to a more clear, articulate and "toasted" metal tone that I wasn't able to get using the Graph Eq or playing with the amp's drive, master, etc... Now I am a happy Axer :) , btw, I am using a Mesa Mark IV as poweramp and a 2x12 with V30... hope the FR I am buying will bring more fun to the equation hehe...

Thanks a lot...

Excellent - glad this thread has been helpful. I'm hoping these different approaches to contouring tones will result in some new killer AFX presets being posted - something even more impressive to show off the AFX's potential to the world.

funny thing is i have designed some pretty different sounding high gain patches using EQs through headphones but when i put them through a real 4x12 at high volumes they sound very similar to one another... life's never easy is it lol. :lol:

Radley, thanks sooooo much for this post. For me, this has been by far the single most useful piece of information concerning the Axe. It's funny, I use techniques like this all the time in Pro Tools, but for some reason, up until now, I had not been able to wrap my head around it with the Axe. It's been a quantum leap in quality for all of my patches and also provides a great uniform starting point for both the clean and gain patches.

Again Radley, many thanks! :D

Radley said:
Hello again, fellow Axers -

Here’s another technique I’ve been using lately to get the most out of the AFX’s Parametric EQ - Cliff’s version of the classic 5-band parametric EQ is QUITE versatile, but some aspects of it’s versatility may not be so obvious, and hence this thread.

How many times have you wanted to filter some ultra-lows or ultra-highs from a patch without losing the ‘overall personality’ or ‘punch’ of the sound? You know - remove some cumbersome low end and fizzy highs, without losing fullness or hi-end articulation. This has never been an easy thing to accomplish, but with the AFX we have been given an incredible tool to do just that - it is the AFX Para-EQ....

The real magic for accomplishing this is found in the first (1st) and last (5th) bands of the AFX Parametric - it is here we can define the overall frequency spread (narrow or wide), as well as the specific contour (shape) of that spread, while the remaining 3 para bands are still available for whatever else we may want to alter in the remaining EQ curve. Although the user manual is rather sparse on description, there are 3 selections for the Type parameter of these 2 outer bands:

Shelving - All frequencies at or below the specified frequency are boosted by the selected db amount. Most Treble & Bass amp EQs operate this way.

Peaking - The frequencies at or or close to the specified frequency (i.e. bell curve), are boosted referenced to the selected db amount, as defined by the width of the Q setting. A more definable type of boost or cut.

Blocking - Just the name alone sounds rather negative and unusable, no? WRONG! :shock: IMO, this is just what we need to sculpt almost any response curve desired.

Here’s how simply it’s accomplished:

The first and last bands of the Para EQ are used to literally define the width and shape of the overall tonal response of the patch by these steps: (it is assumed that the PEQ will be positioned after the Amp & Cab)

Low (1st) band - Select Blocking as the Type. Select the frequency you want to be the center frequency - this frequency parameter will determine where the filter will start rolling off the low frequencies - typically, this will sound rather lackluster, as you will start to miss the extended low end <BUT> we have another parameter called ‘Q’, and it is very powerful in this instance. Start increasing the Q value until you hear (and see on the AFX display) a beautiful boost at the operative frequency - at this point you may want to alter the center frequency somewhat....go for it. Keep in mind that this boost does not effect the frequencies below the cutoff frequency (they have effectively been ‘nixed’). With this technique, we can retain fullness, while eliminating unwanted lower frequencies that can interfere with the bass & bass drum in a mix.

High (5th) band - Again, select Blocking as the Type. The frequency parameter will determine where the filter will start rolling off the high frequencies - typically, this also will sound somewhat lackluster & dark, as you will start to miss the extended high end brightness <BUT> lest we forget, we have that extra parameter called ‘Q’, and it is just what the doctor ordered to ‘make up the difference’! Example: If you feel there is excess hash/fizziness upwards of 4k, simply select 4k as the center frequency, and then use the ‘Q’ parameter to restore any presence that is apparently lacking - it’s there in spades my friends. At this point you may want to fine-tune the center frequency for refinement...

Keep in mind that you still have 3 bands of para EQ that have not yet been used! ;)

Tips:

* An approximation of a Billy Gibbons/ZZ Top OD tone would probably involve low/hi rolloffs of somewhere around 165z and 3.2kz - tweak Q according to taste, and don’t forget the 3 remaining para bands.

* Try this Para-EQ technique on some of your favorite patches - you may find that you like the sound of your favorite Amp model with a more limited/customized bandwidth!

Bottom Line: This technique can not only enhance existing patches, but also transform them into totally new entities if desired. In general, the smaller the real amp you are wanting to ‘cop’, the more narrow the bandwidth should be (cutoff frequency points moved towards the center) - you can create some interesting sounds like an old Rockman or a funky drive-in theatre speaker by decreasing the frequency spread. For Voxy/British tones, you might want to also cut some at 1.5kz (‘Q’ somewhere around 2), using one of the unused para bands.

Have fun ;)

Hallo, what you wrote is very interesting!

I am a new Axe-Fx Ultra user and I have a great problem.
I use my Marshall 8008 and a 2x12 Cab with Celestion Vintage 30-speakers.
In the global parameters i have the power amp ON.
When i switch the Cab-Simulation OFF, so the sound have less bass but to much treble
(extremly with the high gain-settings)

When i switch the Cab-Simulation ON, the sound have to much bass.
What do I wrong?
Can you help me!

Thanks Uwe

Since you are using your Ultra with an external power amp and cabinet, try bypassing Ultra's power amp AND cab simulation, and then tweak the patch (the amp block and/or EQ settings) until you get the desired result. Turning off the power amp simulation can be done via the GLOBAL menu, or by turning the SAG control fully counter-clockwise in the amp block.

Of course, there are not rules; there's nothing "wrong" with having power amp (or cab) simulation active with your set up. Whatever sounds good is good!

This is an old post, but Radley has some good stuff here, and I find myself referring to it often. Deserves a bump.

This technique works great, and solves alot of the 'in the room' feel many folks need. It will change your patches a bit (I found I could add the CRAP out of master volume, sag, and gain and still retain some sense of sonic sanity (hey..a song in that phrase!)

Bump for a question: on my Peavey XXX, there is a "resonance" control that serves to - as best as I can tell - affect the damping factor of the power amp. However, it both adjusts the "swing" or "sag" of the speaker in addition to trimming bass as you make it tighter. I assume this is similar to depth, which is one of the primary ways we can control deep bass in the Axe-Fx models. Basically on the Peavey if you don't leave the switch set to "Loose" it sounds like tight, thin buzzing crap. :lol:

Does using the parametric EQ block in the manner described in the OP - while keeping Depth/Sag/whatever high - allow you to keep a bouncy chug to high-gain amps while trimming that undesirable and power-sucking deep bass? I will certainly try this at home, but I have 1000x parameters to tweak and patches to build, let alone learning how to bond with MIDI, so I'd love some input on how to preserve that loose damping factor sound while not hammering all of the bass frequencies through and saving some wattage.

hi radley,
can it be these hints are not as usefull anymore since the latest upgrades...? i always thought it improved my presets a lot, but after the latest upgrades (11.0) i can´t say i´m hearing the same effect...

best,
rudi

hi radley,
can it be these hints are not as usefull anymore since the latest upgrades...? i always thought it improved my presets a lot, but after the latest upgrades (11.0) i can´t say i´m hearing the same effect...

best,
rudi
Uh no. You might not need a blocking EQ as often, esp at the low end since the response there was tweaked in FW11. But that OP is still incredibly useful in a lot of situations. It's not like there was some inherent problem the Axe had that this was a work around for. I still use that type of EQing for shaping the high end on lots of high gain patches and it's particularly useful for live tones with no cab emu. IMHO.

Thanks Radley.
Excellent post. I look for these kinda diamonds. Sooo much Hoopla over the dang Axe II, we poor Gen 1 users are left in the cold.
I love my standard, and post like this help me to squeeze every morsel of HP outta the unit.
><>
John

Back
Top Bottom