Parametric EQ for Ear Fatigue?

claxor

Power User
Guys,

Do any of you have recommendations for minimizing ear fatigue by using parametric eqs? I'm looking for ways to use the parametric eq block (either before the amp or after the amp; or both) to save my ears but not dramatically change my guitar or amp tone.

Ideas or suggestions? I can't be the only guy out there that wants to do this.

Thanks!

First you must identify the frequency range that is causing your fatigue. Then it's simply a matter of cutting it out.

In another thread I was posting about using compression in the end of the chain to make the sounds pop out more. A side effect of using too much compression is ear fatigue. You can visualize it if you do computer-based recording: look at the waveform and see if it looks like a solid dense signal with only minimal deviations from the peak value. If you see a good mix of empty space and signals reaching the top level, it's probably going to result in less ear fatigue. I'm no expert on the subject but that is my personal experience.

Guys,

Do any of you have recommendations for minimizing ear fatigue by using parametric eqs? I'm looking for ways to use the parametric eq block (either before the amp or after the amp; or both) to save my ears but not dramatically change my guitar or amp tone.

Ideas or suggestions? I can't be the only guy out there that wants to do this.

Thanks!

Stay as far from the drums as possible, ask band mates to angle monitors away from you then turn your amp/monitor down.
(For ear damage) After your ears are ringing, find the matching frequency of that ringing and dial that frequency out with the filter block(peaking, Q@10, gain@-9, 4th order if necessary) at the end of your chain.
Wear ear protection any time you are on antibiotics as many of them make ear cilia brittle and more easily broken.
Get stage volume down and let the mains do the work.

After your ears are ringing, find the matching frequency of that ringing and dial that frequency out with the filter block(peaking, Q@10, gain@-9, 4th order if necessary) at the end of your chain.

Interesting. Question: with the Axefx 2, how do you recommend identifying the ringing frequency?

Filtering out low & high frequencies in the cab block can both protect your hearing and improve your tone in my experience. I filter out all below 100hz and above 5.5k (this might be a bit extreme but it's fine for me). The AxeFX is capable of delivering MUCH higher frequencies (and at much higher levels) than a regular amp, so be very careful! I have a few probs with my hearing now that could have been avoided had i known this data in time. YMMV of course.

Last edited:
Interesting. Question: with the Axefx 2, how do you recommend identifying the ringing frequency?
A bit left field, but there are a few tinnitus websites which provide frequency search applications that you could try; basically a knob that you turn until the frequency you hear from your PC speakers matches the frequency you hear (if you have some tinnitus) ringing in your ear.

Use the Cab block's high cut and low cut, cut a bit more than you expect, and link it to volume - ie, when you're playing loud, cut a lot.

Further, boost more mids before the Amp, and use the Cut switch if it doesn't totally kill your tone. Boost less stuff after the Amp, and definitely do it before the Cab.

It's the high frequencies that are doing you damage.

If you can stand it, I highly recommend using a pair of headphones (even earphones will do), not plugged into anything, just to field off some of the brash frequencies that are hitting you. Do this wherever possible.

Protect your ears as you do your fingers, they're just as important.

Back
Top Bottom