Parameter Elimination

Status
Not open for further replies.

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
The new firmware has rendered a lot of parameters obsolete IMO. I'm considering eliminating the following:
Dynamics
Pick Attack
Thunk
Character
Character Freq
Dyn Depth
Amp Voicing

If you have strong objections please state which parameter(s) you would want retained.

The new firmware has rendered a lot of parameters obsolete IMO. I'm considering eliminating the following:
Dynamics
Pick Attack
Thunk
Character
Character Freq
Dyn Depth
Amp Voicing

If you have strong objections please state which parameter(s) you would want retained.

Before you do this can you state what other parameters we should use in their place? Right off the bat everything but dynamics and pick attack I don't care about. Thunk doesn't seem to so anything and the rest seem to be equivalent to eq. I stopped using dynamic depth after the low end changes were made.

Also, I think the intent of dynamics and pick attack are good but in practice they don't seem to help. Please take a look at my new thread (later today) concerning this. It won't be contentious.

Last edited:
I'm definitely using and enjoying the effects of Pick Attack, Dynamics, and DynDepth... in descending order of importance. I'm using 'em in 13.02.

They're not really "remedial" for amp realism anymore, but are super-useful for me in creating responsiveness that I "wish was there" in some of my real-world guitars.

Care to explain in what way these parameters are obsolete?

I find them useful. For instance I did a Kee Marcello patch a few months ago. After hearing what Tommy Folkesson (a swedish amp guy) did to Kee's Marshall amp, namely to make the pick attack rounder and almost flute like, I was able to dial in that with the pick attack parameter to a certain extent. I use the Thunk on regular basis and also Dynamics. Character I've used too.

My 2 cents worth...

I think I'm exactly where grape is.

I play clean more often than not, and use Fender amps, Carr, and Tube Pre for a lot of my sounds. Sometimes, I'm using the AxeFx for jazz guitars and flattop acoustics. Here, the tweaks provided by Pick Attack and Dynamics allow me to get customized responsiveness that's better than any real-world amplification I know. You know... like the original mission of the AxeFx?

Just posting so you know I checked in. And to remark that I'm simply not qualified to tell you anything. Do what you think is best. I haven't touched any of those features. The only "advanced" thing I change now is the speaker res volume. And is probably not called "volume" but I'm at work and can't remember what it is called. You posted that you were turning yours up much higher - like to 10 and then backing it down and usually ended up 6.75-8 in a lot of cases, or something to that effect. I've gotten into the same habit.

Just started to use "Thunk". Gives a bit of greater/heavier response imo. Also using "Character" for a long time to shape the voicing a bit more to my taste. Can't give strong objections but it would be nice if they would stay.

Last edited:
I've been putting dynamic depth at -1 so that when I turn up amp drive via scene controllers I can counteract the amp getting too thick as a result. This has been useful, but maybe there's another way to do this.

I used Amp Voicing early on, but haven't touched it lately. As for the others, never touch them. I won't miss any of them. But could bring someone else's world to an end? Thanks for asking Cliff! !

Well I say keep them anyways. The AxeFx is known for being completely customizable and I think it would be a disservice to remove them. Just have them default to the correct position for that amp and those who want to ignore them can. Your firmwares are getting better and better and more like amps for sure but some people don't want that "amp" sound. Those controls have been important to me in the past and may utilize them again for non real world amp tones. Either way thanks for this amazing box.

If they are obsolete (which I have no reason to doubt), it would be nice to know how to achieve their effect through other means. I would personally be interested in what Dynamics & Pick Attack do to clean amps an Thunk (in moderate amounts) to dirty ones, and how to replicate that once these parameters are gone. Also, while already on the subject, what is the difference between Speaker drive in the Amp block, and the Motor drive in the Speaker block, or more specifically the sonic effect these parameters produce?

Thanks in advance!

I have used Amp voicing in a few presets, usually modified version of the Vintage voicing. I'm sure I could get it back playing with the power amp lo & hi cut settings. Unless they are impeding progress, why not keep them?

Character and character freq are a big deal for me, I'd hate to see them go. I also use pick attack but to a lesser extent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom