Parallel Effects loops (5150 iii)

Could someone explain a little better how to set up an fx8 for a parallel effects loop?

I am a little confused by this passage from the manual.

"Parallel routing is essential if your amp’s effects loop works ONLY in parallel. Such amps have a direct connection from the preamp to the power amp for DRY, plus a second path through the send/return jacks for WET. If any dry passes through the FX8, you will have phase problems. Therefore, you will need to manually set MIX, LEVEL and BYPASS mode parameters so no dry signal passes through when the effect is engaged or bypassed."

By mix, level and bypass params, are they talking global, or per effect?

I only researched this a bit after noticing my effects sounded a bit funny through my other amp, a dt25 w serial effects loop...

So now I wonder if anything im doing is right with this thing...lmao...

Thanks in advance...

By mix, level and bypass params, are they talking global, or per effect?

Per effect. Every single effect you have in your amp's loop needs to have its Mix at 100%, and needs to have the Bypass State set to Mute or Mute In or Mute Out.

As the manual states, you don't want to be sending any dry guitar into a parallel loop, especially dry signal that's gone through a digital processor. It will be slightly delayed compared to the amp's dry signal (which is always heard with a parallel FX loop), and that causes phase, cancellation, and tonesuck issues.

You also want to avoid certain effects in a parallel FX loop, such as compression, EQ and drives. Stick to time-based effects like reverb and delay.

Per effect. Every single effect you have in your amp's loop needs to have its Mix at 100%, and needs to have the Bypass State set to Mute or Mute In or Mute Out.

As the manual states, you don't want to be sending any dry guitar into a parallel loop, especially dry signal that's gone through a digital processor. It will be slightly delayed compared to the amp's dry signal (which is always heard with a parallel FX loop), and that causes phase, cancellation, and tonesuck issues.

You also want to avoid certain effects in a parallel FX loop, such as compression, EQ and drives. Stick to time-based effects like reverb and delay.

Interesting about the eq in the effects loop...
I used to run an eq always on in it before I got the fx8.....

If you were using the EQ in a parallel loop, then you were blending dry tone with EQ'd tone (like a Mix knob on an EQ would do, if an EQ had a Mix knob). If the EQ device was analog, then the signal wouldn't be out of phase (or slightly delayed). Parallel EQ is uncommon, but parallel compression is pretty popular in studios. Just not in guitar amp loop setups.

If your amp can be switched to a series loop, or if 100% mix on the parallel loop doesn't have any dry bleed (most do), then any effect (including EQ) could be used.

What leads you to believe that your 5150 III has a parallel loop? Seems like it has a series loop, from what I'm reading.

That could be an impedance or level issue, or just a poor effects loop design. Did you try switching Out 2 Nominal to -10dBV?

I cant find anywhere ins stone that is a parallel loop, but, after some reading, im pretty sure it is serial.

As far as the effects being different on my other amp... I have really had time to worry about it yet. Its just my practice amp.

Still learning the ins and outs of this unit. Love it so far.

Back
Top Bottom