Parallel blocks and their purpose

ghost219

Inspired
I know this is such a newbie question but I'm honestly trying to figure out why you'd use parallel blocks as opposed to a straight line of blocks. Is it for actual parallel processing? Because a lot of these FX have a mix knob.

I know this is such a newbie question but I'm honestly trying to figure out why you'd use parallel blocks as opposed to a straight line of blocks. Is it for actual parallel processing? Because a lot of these FX have a mix knob.
as you suspect, the Mix knob performs the function you think. as paranoid mentioned, it's sometimes done so there is no Reverb on the Delay trails and other specifics like that. some people also like to arrange it as parallel just because that's how their mind works when thinking about those effects. so even with the same function as Mix set to 50% in series, they use parallel routing instead.

though everyone can of course arrange it how they want, a common error i see is people doing Parallel routing because "it's better" yet their MIX control is not set to 100%. anything less than 100% for the MIX of a Parallel effect will introduce more Dry signal and increase the levels more than they should be, skewing the reason for Parallel routing. of course there may be exceptions, but for the most part, that Mix should always be 100% for the Parallel effect.

as you suspect, the Mix knob performs the function you think. as paranoid mentioned, it's sometimes done so there is no Reverb on the Delay trails and other specifics like that. some people also like to arrange it as parallel just because that's how their mind works when thinking about those effects. so even with the same function as Mix set to 50% in series, they use parallel routing instead.

though everyone can of course arrange it how they want, a common error i see is people doing Parallel routing because "it's better" yet their MIX control is not set to 100%. anything less than 100% for the MIX of a Parallel effect will introduce more Dry signal and increase the levels more than they should be, skewing the reason for Parallel routing. of course there may be exceptions, but for the most part, that Mix should always be 100% for the Parallel effect.
Yup. Just like in mixing when you have aux tracks, always set the FX to full wet to blend the send. I get that. I just wasn't aware there was a "send fader".

Now, this makes sense in regards to the NOT wanting to blend FX tails. Thanks!

Parallel is really the more traditional "studio" way of routing effects on tracks. That isn't to say its better per say, but just how it usually is/was done.

Series effects are more in line with a traditional pedal board (save for those who run huge boards lol) where you hook each effect to the next, in a given order, and if your lucky, your pedals have a mix knob. Some like a EHX Electric Mistress didn't and that was a real drag as you couldn't have just a little of the effect mixed in.

Obviously in the Axe everything can have a mix knob, and that is well and good. Its an easy approach to grasp and akin to how many guitarist think.

I've grown to enjoy parallel though because it can allow for some extra creative options. For example, say you want some modulation on your repeats or reverb, or maybe a little extra dirt to grunge them up. Still all that just out the parallel chain and your effecting just the delay then and keeping your normal track untouched.

I found that I used it more with the Axe II than the AX8 though, as it isn't possible to do things like run an additional reverb block as a side chain etc on the AX8, so little less crazy routings, and as such, less need for it.

Still though, try using something like a parallel delay and then stick a mod block after it etc, its pretty fun and inspiring to do things that would of been hard/expensive in the hardware world, such as running effects just on a wet output of a delay pedal (and it would require more pedals, another amp etc) but in the AX8 all it takes is a few mouse clicks

Putting the reverb block in parallel at 100% wet can be useful to avoid the drop in the dry signal level when switching the reverb on and off on the fly. For the delay block though, this is not an issue, as it has a different mix law that keeps the dry signal level constant up to 50% mix.

Putting the reverb block in parallel at 100% wet can be useful to avoid the drop in the dry signal level when switching the reverb on and off on the fly. For the delay block though, this is not an issue, as it has a different mix law that keeps the dry signal level constant up to 50% mix.

This is one of the reasons I put reverb in parallel - too much math involved when using the reverb block mix parameter.

Also, parallel reverb means you can route other things through 100% wet reverb, like the multidelay block.

I run usually delay in series before the amp as that's where most delay pedals would live.

Likely doesn't make a huge difference in most cases, but I usually run pedals that would typically go before an amp, say an analog delay or memoryman style, before the amp block, and then delay that would be run post amp, or in a loop, like a racked digital delay 2209 etc style, I run post amp block

Again, not sure it hugely matters in many cases, but its quick and easy to drag a block and move it around. Its interesting though how things like a flanger block are post amp in all the presets, but so many people actually run things like an EHX flanger into an amp....

Likely doesn't make a huge difference in most cases

It's worth the attention to detail. You have to adjust the delay mix significantly (and the feedback a bit) if you move the block from in front to after. After always sounds more "polished" to my ears, and that isn't always what I'm going for. I usually just want it to sound like a delay pedal.

Thought I had this worked out. I run both delay and reverb in parallel. I set Level to 0db and mix to 100%. Use input gain to set desired amount, and assign it to a pedal on the delay. Footswitch setup for delay on/off. Same setup for the reverb, but just set the input gain to desired amount and leave it. I never used to shut my reverb off, but lately i assigned to a footswitch. 1st time I shut it off notice the increase in volume, thus making me adjust my reverb level to greater than 0db. Checking the wiki, says when running parallel set Level to 0db and use input gain. The Reverb will not allow me to set any Bypass mode. Not a big deal, since I leave the reverb on 99% of time.

Thought I had this worked out. I run both delay and reverb in parallel. I set Level to 0db and mix to 100%. Use input gain to set desired amount, and assign it to a pedal on the delay. Footswitch setup for delay on/off. Same setup for the reverb, but just set the input gain to desired amount and leave it. I never used to shut my reverb off, but lately i assigned to a footswitch. 1st time I shut it off notice the increase in volume, thus making me adjust my reverb level to greater than 0db. Checking the wiki, says when running parallel set Level to 0db and use input gain. The Reverb will not allow me to set any Bypass mode. Not a big deal, since I leave the reverb on 99% of time.

Bypass Mode is a critical step in setting parallel blocks. It needs to be either Mute In or Mute Out. If you don't do that, every time you bypass Reverb, your dry signal will double in volume.

Upload your preset so we can determine why the Reverb won't allow you "to set any Bypass mode." If you assigned Reverb to an external footswitch, you might need to disable that assignment first, change the Bypass Mode, and then reassign the pedal. I'm not 100% sure on that but if you upload the preset we can check it out.

I am at work, will plan to upload. I know it is needed, just not sure why it will not drop the pull down and select. Only thing assigned on the reverb block is the foot witch on/off. Noticing on some of your screen shots, you have the reverb block connecting to output directly, I tied it back into the main line then out. May try and go direct out to output.

On another note, was trying your top 5 amps, what cab you use on the wrecker? I love the AC-20 and the Vox 15, thought I would give your wrecker comment a test.

hmm i swear it was more popular to Mix to 100% and use LEVEL to adjust the mix. Input Gain is a popular choice when using a Pedal to adjust the amount of reverb real-time.

or just put it in serial and use Mix for mix :p

Attached is an image after i moved the Reverb to serial. No option for Bypass in the Reverb block. What am I missing?

Attachments

• Reverb Bypass.png
    Reverb Bypass.png
    274 KB · Views: 25
Here is another preset i changed the output of the Reverb to go direct out. It works fine. When I bypass the Reverb no change in volume. Still no option to change Bypass mode.

Attachments

• Reverb Parallel.png
    Reverb Parallel.png
    265.7 KB · Views: 12
Parallel routing is useful when setting up presets that include both electric and acoustic simulated guitar scenes. This, where only the electric runs through the amp block while the acoustic runs through a different IR and EQ. It's also useful for presets that have scenes with the synth block sound that you don't want through the regular guitar chain.

I know what they are for, just want to know why my reverb will not let me set the Bypass state when set to serial or parallel.

try going to Settings in the menu bar of AX8-Edit, then Refresh after FW Update - it seems the data is out of sync. that should get the values back in the Bypass area.

Question: is Parallel at all relevant when not sending your signal in stereo? When I play live, my signal is mono, with one out going to my monitor and the other to FOH.

Question: is Parallel at all relevant when not sending your signal in stereo? When I play live, my signal is mono, with one out going to my monitor and the other to FOH.
Stereo vs Mono is a completely separate topic from Parallel routing. one concept of Parallel is making it so your Delay repeats don't have Reverb applied to them. you'd do this with Parallel routing, and you could then go Mono or Stereo regardless.

Back
Top Bottom