Papery buzz under some models?

greiswig

Power User
I've got one patch where I use a couple of Fender-type amps, along with a DC-30. They're running just barely at the point of getting some grind. The Tweed Deluxe, Carr Roamer, and DC-30 all have a sound like something is rubbing on the speaker cone underneath low notes in particular, like the 5th and 6th strings below fret 5. (Scenes 1, 2, 6)

On the same patch, though the Blues Jr. and Fat Jr. sound fine (Scenes 5 & 8), even though the Fat Jr. is set up with more overdrive. I've reset the channels, but it's still there. The only thing the buzzy amps seem to have in common is that they are all on Amp Block 1, and the Juniors are both in Amp Block 2.

I don't remember that sound out of earlier Ares firmwares.

Attachments

• Felder.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 27
Nobody else? I was hoping someone would say "Yeah, that's authentic. But if you want to get rid of it, adjust this..."

This usually indicates fret buzz, especially because you're only experiencing it in certain spots on the neck.

I kinda wish it were that simple, but it isn't a buzz in or on the guitar. As I mentioned, two scenes don't do the same thing, even when I pick harder on those scenes. Fret buzz gets worse the harder you pick.

Tried loading preset here but all global blocks reset to 0 across the board. Just bypassing everything sounds fine - so my guess would be the guitar, the input gate, or one of those blocks? Perhaps reupload with globals unlinked?

Kind of curious if you feel you hear the same thing with the Maz-38 greiswig? I feel like that amp has produced what I’d call a “paper-y buzz” for me with the Ares modeling, regardless of guitar I’m playing (never really used the DC-30 model myself, but I should try and see if I notice the same thing as I hear hear with the Maz-38).

I’ve often been curious what bit of amp physics causes it, because my assumption is it’s accurate to the real wold model — because everything about Ares sounds so accurate — and being that it’s always persisted throughout every major epiphany and resulting re-measuring of the real world amps, it can’t be unintentional behavior, but rather a thing I’d hear if i plugged into the real world versions as well.

For me the “buzzy” phenomenon I hear (with the Maz-38) I’ve noticed seems to jump out more with certain positions, so my guess is it’s some kind of harmonic related to those frequencies... like “ghost notes” maybe(? though, it must be said, not sure i’d be able to point out an according to hoyle ghost note if I’ve ever even actually heard one o_O)... and being that it seems to happen to varying amounts across guitars at the same positions, and not happen with other models, I’ve always ruled out any kind of fret buzz as the culprit. I feel like I hear a small amount of it anywhere, it just really seems to jump out around a C# on the low E (maybe I should run a synth block into it set to that frequency, see if i hear it then too)

What I’ve always heard I’d describe as a certain upper “kazoo-like” buzz, that accompanies the attack of the note, persists for much of the sustain, but decays away before the fundamental does. Honestly it’s that part of decaying before the note that makes it the most strange to me. (I’ve tried disabling the noise gate on input block incase that’s what makes it seem like this buzzy sound decays sooner, but it’s still there regardless of how input noise gate is set).

Again, I assume it’s accurate and maybe my headphones that I’m monitoring with just make it more acute and noticeable for me, and the real word amp monitored through the same headphones I’d have a similar hand wave-y vague descriptions of “this strange buzzy sound I hear” ;)

Last edited:
Try changing new strings. A slight imperfection somewhere will create a tangy twiney buzz that at first seems like a bad fret. Decay in the sound.

Interesting. H.C.E., I just loaded Austin Buddy's Maz38 patch, and yes, the buzz is there as well. It does kind of disappear abruptly as the note decays. And the higher the note is, the shorter the decay seems to be.

Something on the guitar could be vibrating as well. I've had it happen and took a while to figure out.

Loaded your preset, does it here too. I cleared the patch and recreated with only amp and cab ,same settings , still does it. default,still does it.

Preset sounds fine here AFTER I turn the levels down. WAY too hot. Everything is clipping. Overdrives my interface which causes a "papery buzz" on low notes. The VU meters are there for a reason.

Preset sounds fine here AFTER I turn the levels down. WAY too hot. Everything is clipping. Overdrives my interface which causes a "papery buzz" on low notes. The VU meters are there for a reason.

I’ll have a look at my meters. I didn’t see that when I was creating it, but I’ll double check. Thanks for looking!

None of the meters seem to be clipping in my setup. This is a dual-humbucker with WCR Godwood pickups, not particularly hot. And the Junior models are at the same output level as the rest of the Scenes, but don't have the buzz?

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_52c.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_52c.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 59
  • fullsizeoutput_52d.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_52d.jpeg
    105.2 KB · Views: 54
  • fullsizeoutput_52e.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_52e.jpeg
    128 KB · Views: 50
None of the meters seem to be clipping in my setup. This is a dual-humbucker with WCR Godwood pickups, not particularly hot. And the Junior models are at the same output level as the rest of the Scenes, but don't have the buzz?
Go to the Out 1 Block on the grid and check that meter.. I had to shunt the global blocks but my meters were pegged after doing so.
You’re going to have to bring your Amp Block Level down quite a bit more..

All right, I'm not sure what is happening or why other people's experience is so different from mine. I did look at that Out 1 block, and the meters aren't clipping. The LED meters barely tickle the yellow for me on hard strums. Scene 1 has the buzz, but is quieter than Scene 8, which doesn't have it. And I set all my presets up to be at about -10db into the SPDIF on my Apollo interface, and this one sits right about there.

In short, I don't see anywhere where something is clipping. I don't see anywhere where I need to reduce volume.

And this doesn't sound like digital clipping to me anyway: what I hear is a buzz underneath the note, not a distortion of the note. But it's pretty noticeable!

See if you can guess which pair of clips is the pair where I hear that buzz:

Last edited:
Start from scratch. There are so many global blocks and crazy routings in that preset it's hard to know where the problem lies.

All right, I'm not sure what is happening or why other people's experience is so different from mine. I did look at that Out 1 block, and the meters aren't clipping. The LED meters barely tickle the yellow for me on hard strums. Scene 1 has the buzz, but is quieter than Scene 8, which doesn't have it. And I set all my presets up to be at about -10db into the SPDIF on my Apollo interface, and this one sits right about there.

In short, I don't see anywhere where something is clipping. I don't see anywhere where I need to reduce volume.

And this doesn't sound like digital clipping to me anyway: what I hear is a buzz underneath the note, not a distortion of the note. But it's pretty noticeable!

See if you can guess which pair of clips is the pair where I hear that buzz:

Can ya create just a simple patch with NO Global blocks and just the Amps you’re having an issue with?
Basically that patch with one out and no global blocks..
Can’t help cause when the global blocks have to be removed in order to get a signal thru on someone’s else’s unit it may change levels, cause after I shunted the global blocks in order to make the patch useable for me, the levels were blowing the lid off.

Back
Top Bottom