Pantera

Dude Zakk is straight up butchering those songs. I swear I'm in some alternate reality where people think men are women, cats are dogs, and Zakk Wylde can hold a candle to Dime.
They should have gone the Journey route and gotten some unknown superfan that can nail every Dime legato passage and squeal. The guitar tone also sounds nothing like Dimes, like AT ALL. Way too dark and wooly.

Charlie ain't doing quite as bad as Zakk, but his hyperbole about closing your eyes and not being able to tell it isn't Vinny is obviously not accurate.
Yea Phil is singing those songs, and Rex... exists. But in no way shape or form is this even close to what a Pantera concert was like back in the day. The Abbott brother roll in their graves this Christmas.

I always felt that Zakk did a great job with Randy's stuff so expected nothing less of him with Darrell's.

Old man side note : The sheer number of people holding up cellphones to record instead of being in the moment is pretty surprising but I guess for people now, it wasn't a moment if you didn't record it.

Dude Zakk is straight up butchering those songs. I swear I'm in some alternate reality where people think men are women, cats are dogs, and Zakk Wylde can hold a candle to Dime.
They should have gone the Journey route and gotten some unknown superfan that can nail every Dime legato passage and squeal. The guitar tone also sounds nothing like Dimes, like AT ALL. Way too dark and wooly.

Charlie ain't doing quite as bad as Zakk, but his hyperbole about closing your eyes and not being able to tell it isn't Vinny is obviously not accurate.
Yea Phil is singing those songs, and Rex... exists. But in no way shape or form is this even close to what a Pantera concert was like back in the day. The Abbott brother roll in their graves this Christmas.

Of course they’re not gonna sound like Dime and Vinnie because guess what??…they’re not Dime and Vinnie.

After seing them on YT, I've thought about which band members could be replaced and it would still be Pantera to me. And I came to the conclusion that Dimebag and Phil are for me the core of their distinctive sound. Vinnie is one of my top 10 drummers and I have only respect for Rex's contribution to the band too, not to understand me wrong. Without Dimebag or without Phil, something is missing in the formula, if you ask me. This supergroup can call itself "Pantera", if they want. I won't judge them but I'm not interested in them at the moment. I'm also no special fan of Zakk, maybe seing him with "Pantera" makes this project worth for some of his fans. I see no added value. If they make songs of their own, I would be interested in hearing them, why not.

It’s amazing how many fuckin’ crybabies this has pulled out of the woodwork. Millions of people are stoked to go see this live and you still got guys “He’s not playing everything perfectly! How dare they!” “Dimebag did legato, Zakk doesn’t, Ohhhhhh my goooood the fuckin’ travesty!” GTFO :tearsofjoy:

This was never meant to be a 1:1 recreation of Pantera in their prime and anyone in those camps has made that clear, nor is it meant to be a continuation of Pantera, just the surviving guys paying tribute to the band they busted ass in for years and bringing it to as many people as they possibly can. Everyone who knows who Pantera is knows it’s not Pantera onstage, everyone knows Vinnie and Dime are gone, to act as if these 4 guys are trying to pull the wool over people’s eyes is just taking offense for the sake of taking offense.

If anyone thinks Dime, of all people, is looking down at one of his best friends playing his songs and isn’t stoked about it, I’d have a hard time believing you were a fan of him to begin with.

I’ve been a Pantera fan for 25 years, already got my tickets for Metallica where I’ll be seeing Zakk “butcher” these solos with my horns in the air and most likely my throat blown out before their even done their set.

Do I think it still needs tightening up yes. But it’s the 1st show. There were certain things I was like yea that needs work, in the end they’re gonna sell the tickets and people will enjoy themselves. And there friends are paying tribute to the ones no longer here, If Dime was paying tribute to Zakk it would sound like Dime and not Zakk.

Also this made me chuckle for all the whiners

FB586-F2-F-AA91-4-AB9-9-A50-300-C19-B5-B2-EE.jpg

The sheer number of people holding up cellphones to record instead of being in the moment is pretty surprising but I guess for people now, it wasn't a moment if you didn't record it.
Last concert I went to, a dumd a$$ beside me wanted me to record for him with his phone so he could go to the little girls room. needless to say I did not miss any concert holding a damn phone up in the air. times have changed for the worse I feel.

I miss the original Pantera, but they broke up anyway before Darrel was shot. if they were still together would they sound exactly as you remembered? I bet not, does Metalica? We are all getting old, and we change. It looks like to me they put on a good show for a bunch of old dudes still loving to play music.

Back
Top Bottom