Pantera Tour

I’ve got nothing against it, but personally only would be buying a ticket to watch Dime playing. Nothing against Rex or even Phil, but I just can’t say “man, I wish I could see Rex play Pantera songs”…

It would be like Nick Mason doing a Floyd tour…. Cool dude, I’m sure good music, but unless it’s to see Gilmour on guitar, or Roger (for the lyrics et al,) it’s just like missing what made the band cool, at least to me.

Maybe to some people Phil was Pantera, they have no interest in the guitar parts, but to me Phil wasn’t the main attraction, tons of guys sounded just like him….

Dime though….. man, no one sounded like that and no one has since, he was one of a kind, and what made me love Pantera

So for me, no thanks, no more special to see Phil and Rex and Zakk etc do Pantera songs than when A7x does covers, just isn’t the same.

But hope anyone that goes to a gig enjoys it, just can’t see paying my money for it. I’d rather sit at home and watch some old videos with Dime playing

There is no Pantera without Dime and Vinnie. They should have called it a tribute and had multiple musicians sitting in and playing. kind of like the experience Hendrix thing. Calling it a reunion rubs me the wrong way and comes off as a cash grab for Phil and Rex.

I’ve got nothing against it, but personally only would be buying a ticket to watch Dime playing. Nothing against Rex or even Phil, but I just can’t say “man, I wish I could see Rex play Pantera songs”…

It would be like Nick Mason doing a Floyd tour…. Cool dude, I’m sure good music, but unless it’s to see Gilmour on guitar, or Roger (for the lyrics et al,) it’s just like missing what made the band cool, at least to me.

Maybe to some people Phil was Pantera, they have no interest in the guitar parts, but to me Phil wasn’t the main attraction, tons of guys sounded just like him….

Dime though….. man, no one sounded like that and no one has since, he was one of a kind, and what made me love Pantera

So for me, no thanks, no more special to see Phil and Rex and Zakk etc do Pantera songs than when A7x does covers, just isn’t the same.

But hope anyone that goes to a gig enjoys it, just can’t see paying my money for it. I’d rather sit at home and watch some old videos with Dime playing
Perfectly said.

PS - I'm from Arlington.

I’m curious to hear Phil and Rex actually talk about this because I get the idea it’s the media calling it a “reunion” and not Phil or Rex. That one word alone is driving up clicks like a motherfucker with so many people bashing it because of that one word. It’s not a “reunion” by definition and I suspect Phil and Rex are looking at it more as a celebration than anything else, I’d hope anyway.

I’m a huge Pantera fan, I’ve got Far Beyond Driven tattooed down one of my forearms, got to see them twice on the Reinventing The Steel tour, thankfully. I’m also a huge Zakk fan so it’s really a no-brainer for me, if they come close enough. Really, I’d rather see a few guitarists/drummers rotating throughout the night much like Portnoy did with the Metal Allegiance shows.

Like Van Halen without Eddie or Alex. I get it. Still think it is cool they want to do something, and
since they are all consummate professionals (ok, except for maybe Phil every other night! :) ) I expect
they will do the material justice and put some cash in their pockets. :)

And they seem to have the blessing of both Dime's and Vinnie's estates/families, which is odd to me
since Phil and Vinnie never really re-connected after the fallout from Dime's tragic death.

Like Van Halen without Eddie or Alex. I get it. Still think it is cool they want to do something, and
since they are all consummate professionals (ok, except for maybe Phil every other night! :) ) I expect
they will do the material justice and put some cash in their pockets. :)

And they seem to have the blessing of both Dime's and Vinnie's estates/families, which is odd to me
since Phil and Vinnie never really re-connected after the fallout from Dime's tragic death.

Their dad, Jerry is in charge of Vinnie’s estate while Rita is in charge of Dime’s. Word is, Jerry is in his 80’s and not in good health and Rita, well….have you seen some of those Dimebag guitars Dean put out after he passed? Or amps. Or clothes. Or any other kind of merchandise. It’s left a good amount of Dimebag guitar-playing fans nervous about who will be making the Dime guitars once Rita finds a company to work with. Zakk said he’d do it through Wylde Audio, which is using the same joint Schecter (and I believe Solar) uses to build their guitars, I’m sure they aren’t the only ones.

I’d imagine the Abbott estate owns the name Pantera since it was formed well before Phil was in the band and possibly even Rex, which is why I’m guessing they needed the blessing from Jerry. Rita made up with Phil years ago and was urging Vinnie to do the same but he wouldn’t budge.

Rubs me completely the wrong way.

As some of you have already said, it needs to be called a tribute or take on another name completely…

I would be interested to see this. It's an interesting combination.

I was kind of disappointed that I never got to see Pantera or Damageplan before Dimebag passed.

Phil wasn’t the main attraction, tons of guys sounded just like him….

That automatically made me think of Exhorder.

This reminds me of the Death To Us All tour, where the former manager of Death put together guys who had formed the different versions of that band, with another musician replacing Chuck Schuldiner. I saw them play with Sein Reinert (RIP), Paul Masvidal, and Steve DiGiorgio, who had played on their most revolutionary album, Human. It was a great show in theory, but so ungodly loud I could barely make out anything.

I've never been passionate about Pantera, but I think this could be a great thing to see. Wylde is of course an unreal player, so I think he would do justice to the music.

I think Phil is, or at least was, one of the best voices in Metal. All four of those guys made Pantera special for their own reasons. To this day, I don't think anyone can touch Phil's performances on Cowboys or Vulgar.

I think Phil is, or at least was, one of the best voices in Metal. All four of those guys made Pantera special for their own reasons. To this day, I don't think anyone can touch Phil's performances on Cowboys or Vulgar.

Phil was perfect for Pantera I agree, but I would saw if Phil was in different band, say Down, it would be good, but not exactly groundbreaking. If Dime was in a different band with _______ on vocals it still would be one of a kind because of what Dime brought to heavy metal guitar playing, just like just like RR before him, kind of a generational talent that reinvented the genre, where as Phil just kind of became a tough guy with a shaved head and no shirt who had an aggressive voice. Granted he can/could actually sing pretty well, but from Vulgar forward it was more about aggressive shouting which was a perfect match for the music.

To me what was special about his playing was that he played rhythm with the same level of utter precision as Scott Ian and studio Hetfield, was a tremendous shredder on lead, but was also really soulful. And he executed everything at the highest level. It was a combination of talents that set him apart.

And from what I could tell at the time, Terry Date was just coming into his own as an engineer, going from stuff like the subpar sound of When Dream and Day Unite by Dream Theater to the sonic refinement and power of Cowboys From Hell and Horrorscope. That didn’t hurt!

When I first saw this on social media, my reaction was - no f'n way this should be called Pantera.
Tribute....ok, that's fine.

Will I go see it? Probably not.
Pantera (Dime) and Zakk are 2 of my all time favorites.
Saw Pantera back in the day.....and did a gig opening for Damage Plan back in the day. I want to keep those memories as my last Pantera/Dime memories.

For a minute I thought - well it would be great to hear a Pantera tribute with Phil on vocals, BUT the music would have to be played properly for me to enjoy it. And as much as I LOVE Zakk, I think the Pantera leads would be a Zakk/Dime hybrid....maybe I'm wrong, I don't know.
One of my pet peeves is a tribute act where the guitar player puts their own 'flavor' into the original leads. It drives me f'n crazy actually.
If you can't do it properly, then you are a cover band, not a tribute band. (Do I sound like Marky Mark talking about Steel Dragon??)

This feels like Chickenfoot playing only VH songs and calling it a VH reunion. It's a tribute and with Zakk and Charlie joining in probably a damn good one, but by no means this can be regarded as a reunion. In fact Rex and Phil aren't even founding members to begin with,...

Back
Top Bottom