Pantera tone

DrMosh

Inspired
So, i've been fiddling trying to get a Pantera tone, and was wondering what amp model would be best to use. I figure turning the SAG off will get me closer to a solid state type sound and it's fairly close.

So, I guess my question is what amp model with SAG turned all the way down will sound most like a Randall solid state? :)

From AlbertA on the old forums...
http://www.setbb.com/axefx/viewtopic.php?t=5014
...I don't think this patch or IR are on the Axechange anymore, since they're outdated (new firmware modifications have since rendered them obsolete), but the basics of what was used is...

Drive (bypassed) > Amp > Cab > PEQ > PEQ > Reverb

Drive was a TS808, Amp was the Das Metall, Cab was custom

I recently PM'ed AlbertA about his Pantera patches. He said, he would redo them for firmware v6 as soon as time permits. Can't wait for that to happen, because his "Walk" tone was dead on and made me wanna buy an Axe-Fx!

AlbertA, can you give us an ETA on your new revision of the Walk-patch? Perhaps make it a christmas present to all your fans :D ? I believe that patch alone made a big statement about the Axe-Fx potential to deliver hi-gain sounds, so it'd be great to be able to use it with post 5.x firmwares.

Thanks dudes!

I'm really busy at work, and I'll be leaving my axe-fx for the holidays so it'll have to be after x-mas.. :D

I think the key ingredient for the Dimebag-tone that is missing is your custom IR, Albert. If you could provide us with the original impulse wav-file, maybe we could create a v6-compatible IR from it ourselves.

Most excellent, Albert!

For those who want the sound to be a little more on the "Far beyond driven" side, check out this advice from Dimebag himself, that I found in an old Guitar World Mag:

The only thing that was really different on this album [Far beyond driven] is that the signal was routed through three Randall amps which were recorded simultaneously on each track - three amps mixed down to one track. One stack was effected with my MXR flanger, for a kind of hollow sound; another stack was just straight up dry, and the third was set similar to the dry stack, except that it had a little more gain. Seperately, one sounded horrible, one sounded great and the other sounded bassy; but together they sounded incredible.

Anyone still has those two IRs Albert provided and could reupload them?

Back
Top Bottom