Panic Purchase - RJM GT/22

HereToday

Experienced
I had been looking for awhile at either a GT/16 or GT/22 to handle setlist duties, control scenes on my mixer board, control outboard pedals, load up sheet on the tablet at rehearsals, and all at the same time handle simple duties with the DAW such as playing backing tracks or kicking off a recording. (Listing all that just made me realize that I need a 22.)

RJM had a couple of GT/22's in stock as of yesterday. Well, this morning, they were down to one. So what did I do? It's my birthday, I panicked, then justified. Lol. Sorry guys, I took their last one.

BTW, I'll keep the FC6 to handle effects and pedals on the Axe-Fx III.

I had been looking for awhile at either a GT/16 or GT/22 to handle setlist duties, control scenes on my mixer board, control outboard pedals, load up sheet on the tablet at rehearsals, and all at the same time handle simple duties with the DAW such as playing backing tracks or kicking off a recording. (Listing all that just made me realize that I need a 22.)

RJM had a couple of GT/22's in stock as of yesterday. Well, this morning, they were down to one. So what did I do? It's my birthday, I panicked, then justified. Lol. Sorry guys, I took their last one.

Happy bday brother.. thats a great gift to self

Now that I have had some time to really get to know the GT22, here are a few thoughts starting with two minor nitpicks:

• When I originally ordered my GT it was shown in-stock. Apparently, RJM's system is not real-time as I soon received word that it was on back-order. This went by quick, though, and RJM was very apologetic. They are super-nice people and, admittedly, I may have been a bit grumpy.
  • The editor fonts and buttons seem a bit fuzzy to me on my computer. Anyone else notice this?
  • I originally considered the GT10 and GT16 due to cost and size. The GT22 is BIG (19.5" x 14") and I initially second-guessed my decision. No longer. The power of this thing has me finding new uses for buttons almost continuously!
  • A serious amount of integration with the Axe-Fx III is already there. For example, I started programming sysex messages to send tempo to the Axe. No need. Just turn on midi clock and set tempo in your GT song or GT preset. Done. Axe sees the tempo setting and is adjusted automatically. No sysex messages needed. Highly recommend the GT for controlling Fractal stuff as most of the heavy lifting has been done for you.
  • The amount of customization capabilities for appearance is wonderful and so is the large font. I did not realize how much I was squinting at my FC6 and MC6/MC8.
  • I am still using the FC6 to run expression pedals and for cycling though presets ala jam session style. (The GT is dedicated to setlist mode.) I'm not sure how much longer I will keep the FC6 around, though. Time will tell.
  • I still love my MC6 and MC8. I was afraid that those would be going up for sale. I've made that mistake before. If anything, I've come to appreciate their simplicity even more for quick and dirty, or simple tasks. For example, I now keep the MC6 on my desk and use it to test all programming first. I love it! I can program that sucker in seconds, test the device, debug and all at my fingertips.
  • I absolutely love the GT setlist feature and capabilities. Very easy to work with. Very powerful. At first,I had a minor disappointment in thinking I could not re-order the master presets and/or songs lists since cut/paste did not seem to work. I fist pumped when I realized I could just drag and drop them into whatever order I wanted. Awesome!
  • The Mastering the Mastermind series by RJM is a Godsend. Watched several already and helps open up the capabilities of the machine.
  • I'm a little worried I may run through the alloted 768 presets. You can think of GT presets as song sections (intro, verse, bridge, etc). Since I usually use 2 to 6 sections per song, and since I am at over 200 songs in the library...Maybe more presets will be added in a later FW?? One can hope. 768 presets is probably more than enough for most people, I would guess, and is more than any other controller on the market.
  • This purchase hurt the wallet... quite a bit. Actually, a lot! Lol. I would purchase it all over again, though. Worth every penny!
  • 22 button toppers starts to really add up! Haha! I don't know whats worse, having to buy 22 of them or dealing with 66 tiny set screws.

Always happy to answer any questions here or via PM, and there are quite a few other GT owners here on the forum as well.

Last edited:

I have the gt22 and love it so congrats with getting the last one....;-) Ron at RJM is brilliant.... that company are very much like Fractal when it comes to service & help...

Back
Top Bottom