Palmer PDI-09 IR in UltraRes Format

Using the normal IR and it is one of the best if not the best UR IR's I have used. Works with most of my patches and really brings out something that I have not had/heard before..... Very impressive... Keep up the magic!

Thanks!!!

Glad you guys are digging this UltraRes IR. I discovered the Palmer PDI-09 years ago in hardware form and it's been in my rig (physically or as an IR) ever since. I always run the "Normal" flavor IR and it sounds great with so many different amps (clean, crunch, or heavy).
BTW, if you need/want a little more bottom in any of your presets, try using the new NULL mic type with this IR and dial in a little Proximity.

Peace,
The Normal is indeed an excellent IR. It brings the notes to the foreground.
Great for a consistent tone.
I don't care as Much for the Bright IR, but that's just a matter of taste.

I guess that players who seek a lot of different amp tones won't benefit from these IRs, because it's just one tone. For example, I ran all my Fender presets through the Normal IR, which made them all sound quite alike (within a range). But most important: they sounded great.

Haven't tried the previous ones. But I'm wondering what the benefit of UltraRes is, here.
I'm guessing that these IRs have been captured without a mic, so the "room" isn't a factor here.

pdi09-big.jpg

Last edited:
Yes I discovered the Null mic + proximity with the Palmer Normal UR to be really very useful too.

I would approach FAS to sell these in the their online store. FAS has offered to host the store, collect the money, etc. and send it to you.

They are that good.

Yes I discovered the Null mic + proximity with the Palmer Normal UR to be really very useful too.

I would approach FAS to sell these in the their online store. FAS has offered to host the store, collect the money, etc. and send it to you.

They are that good.

That's cool, but I'm just really happy that everyone is enjoying them. Spreading a little "good" karma around so to speak... Use them in good health and make great music.

Peace,
The Normal is indeed an excellent IR. It brings the notes to the foreground.
Great for a consistent tone.
I don't care as Much for the Bright IR, but that's just a matter of taste.

I guess that players who seek a lot of different amp tones won't benefit from these IRs, because it's just one tone. For example, I ran all my Fender presets through the Normal IR, which made them all sound quite alike (within a range). But most important: they sounded great.

Haven't tried the previous ones. But I'm wondering what the benefit of UltraRes is, here.
I'm guessing that these IRs have been captured without a mic, so the "room" isn't a factor here.

Yek, you have it nailed exactly.

If you run clean amps through the Normal IR as an example, they will sound similar. I have noticed that the range of sound is broader with heavier tones and the feel of the amp model makes a big difference for those patches.

Also, you're right that I didn't use a mic at all in capturing these. Out of AxeFxII into the Plamer and back to the AxeFxII. Literally took me like 5 minutes from the time I started until I had all three done. BTW, this IR responds very well to the Room control in the cab block to add a little space.

One more comment... This is living proof about the importance of IR's to creating good tone. At the end of the day, IRs are just just frequency response curves and this one happens to be very good.

There is a clarity to the Palmer Normal that I don't find in many other IR's.

Hard to describe but the IR itself seems "clean" if you know what I mean.

Wow!! I downloaded this a few days ago and give it a try yesterday after reading so many positive feedback . Really happy with the Normal ... Very very useful Ir ... Tried with different amp styles and really enjoyed with Marshall !! Great

Did You mean You use it with 2 cabs in parallel and mix the level?
I'm figuring how to use a DI Ir with my Axe or just take a Cab and do The same as others Ir ?
Yes. I mix the Palmer IR in parallel with others. I often (actually, usually) find that even the IRs I like are too extreme/colored/notched/comb-filtered (insert any useless description of tone here) sounding. The Palmer Normal IR gives an excellent overall response that is surprisingly flat within its passband. It lacks all of the complicated peaks and valleys of most "miced" IRs. In a way, it lacks the individual personalities of most miced IRs, but it sounds solid, up front, in-your-face, and extremely well balanced. When I find other miced IRs that have a character that I am looking for, but are just too extreme in their comb-filtered character, blending them with the Palmer Normal evens them out without destroying their individual character. So far, the Palmer Normal IR is the single most useful IR I've encountered.

Yes. I mix the Palmer IR in parallel with others. I often (actually, usually) find that even the IRs I like are too extreme/colored/notched/comb-filtered (insert any useless description of tone here) sounding. The Palmer Normal IR gives an excellent overall response that is surprisingly flat within its passband. It lacks all of the complicated peaks and valleys of most "miced" IRs. In a way, it lacks the individual personalities of most miced IRs, but it sounds solid, up front, in-your-face, and extremely well balanced. When I find other miced IRs that have a character that I am looking for, but are just too extreme in their comb-filtered character, blending them with the Palmer Normal evens them out without destroying their individual character. So far, the Palmer Normal IR is the single most useful IR I've encountered.

Great explanation of its clarity.

And I agree with Yek. I'm not sure how much the Palmer will benefit from UR, since it is free of complex amplitude irregularities in the low region. But I have yet to compare the normal and UR versions. In any event, it's good to have both, and thanks go out to the OP (who says the UR versions sound better than ever).

anyone's having an old PGA 04 lying around to capture some IRs ? those were very popular in the day...

Back
Top Bottom