Palm Mutes are too loud!!

CHSTD

Inspired
Hi everyone, i just got my new axe..

I was testing the factory presets and when i play palm mute chords, it sounds louder and powerful than the overall track on the record. Especially the 'petrucci rhythm' called factory preset is a good example to hear.

'Depth' parameter on the amp block helped a little to handle but i wonder how can i reduce the palm mute sounds?
Should i put a compressor block before the amp? If yes, is there any suggestions on settings that works for a higain rhythm sound without damaging the tone?

Try turn ing dynamic depth down in the amp block. It only turns down the depth when the signal peaks.

Thanks a lot.. But if the palm mutes aren't peaking and still louder than the other notes?

This is a recording that i made with the petrucci rhythm patch. I have lowered the depth and the dynamic depth but you can see the volume differences make it hard to set the volume of the track..
Track.jpg

Maybe too much bass in your amp or drive block . I would turn down the bass in the amp and get it up slowly until reach the perfect balance...:)

Maybe try a different cab thats similar not as much in the low end. If you don't have any cab packs the cab always make a big difference for me. Just an idea.:)

Other suggestion ... Different but maybe worth a try ... Lower your Pickups ... And if your using Mesa or similar amps ... bass at less than 3.0 and Low Cut engaged ...
I have a real triple recto ... If you Palm mute you have a big increase in bass and volume ... BIG
Many way to fix it ... Most famous TS-9 ... In my rig Keeley Mod TS-9

Different kinds of guitars also require different amp settings.
My Les Paul has way more bass than my other guitars so I need different settings for that guitar.
I also always use the Low cut in the cab block.
Set it somewhere between 80 and 120 hz, this will clear out loads of mud.
The low frequencies can sound cool when playing alone but this almost never works in a mix.
The more music I mix and the more guitars I track the higher I set my Hpf, it just brings the other instruments out better.
Also, a lot of impulses out there are made with tube power amps, this excites the low (and high end).
For example Ownhammer's impulses gives you choices between solid state and 2 types of tube amps.
I used to use the tube versions because they sound 'heavyer' or a bit more exciting when playing alone but in a mix they don't work as well as the solid state ones.
I hope this also helps!

id pretty much expect them to be louder, by their nature they will be...but all of the tips thrown out in this thread will help you out, just have to decide which method works best for the tones you are going for.

Try using the character parameter in the amp block. Set it to peaking, adjust the freq and Q to where the palm mutes are standing out. Set the character amount to a negative value.

Btw peaking means louder than the other notes, like the peak of a mountain s the highest point.

ok heres whats you do..
use a multiband comp. set it to compress only the lows maybe 0-180 hz. ratio 2:1 attack 16 release 25. adjust/lower the threshold until you get desired results

This is the first thing I'd do. This way the signal will be completely unchanged except for when it produces tons of bass (palm mutes), in which case only the bass is attenuated. I've done this before when I faced this exact problem and it fixed it completely without changing the base tone or adding any additional complications.

I make a little summary of all the tips i use to have a tighter sound :

1 - Engage the cut switch in the amp block.
2 - Reduce the dynamic depth in the amp block.
3 - Reduce the low resonance in the speaker section of the amp block.
4 - Add a tubescreamer (you can boost the mids on the drive block around 1Khz/1,2Khz and use the tone knob to add brightness).
5 - increase the motor drive in the cab section ( most of the time the value is 0 but between 0,25 and 1 it doesn't really change the sound except low frequencies).
6 - Use the low cut in the cab block.
7 - Use the power amp low cut in the power section of the amp block.
8 - Reduce 125hz in the EQ section of the amp block because it's this frequency wich make palm mutes really loud.
9 - You can increase the CF comp in the dynamics section of the amp block especially where this setting is at 0%
10 - you can add a compressor or a multiband compressor after you cab block or increase the output comp in the dynamics section of the amp block but i do not recommend it.
11 - Turn down bass and depth knob.

Shout out to Ready Acoustics. They have done great work for a number of Fractal customers. Heck, their CEO actually IS a Fractal customer!!!

DIY Bass Traps - kits & Acoustic Panels: Ready Acoustics

I'm very happy with the treatment design Ready Acoustics did for me. Turned out fantastic! - or should I say "tuned out" fantastic? ;)

Studio_zps485bfb46.jpg

Guitar sounds boomy and the Signal peaks between 120-180Hz frequency area and couldn't solve it with a multiband compressor...I will open a new thread and upload one of the presets i use and ask people to help me if it sounds the same on their axes/guitars...

Back
Top Bottom