Paid presets ... pfff

I read your other thread but not fully and didn't see so I'm curious, I assume from the string to the top of the pole piece, what was your normal low setting?

How much higher did you set it?

I normally have my pickups flush with the pickguard, and I just raised them to the point where there was just enough room to fret the 24th fret and still clear the pickups. This is probably too high, high enough for the magnets to mess with the proper sustain of the strings, but I wanted to start at the most extremely high setting just to see if the harshness I had been experiencing the bridge might possibly go away, and it did! I might end up lowering them to taste, just checking to make sure the bridge harshness doesn't return, but right now I'm loving them where they are.

I also re-installed all the factory presets, and it's like "I'm hearing with new ears" (as the fictionalized Golda Meir says in Munich). I mean, none of the factory presets hit me before, but I'm freaking out over so many of them now, and they all sound "right."

I’m currently inundated with ads asking me to buy a MIDI chord pack from Unison with “hundreds of pro chords”. What they’ve done is create all the diatonic chords in a major scale and then transposed to all 12 keys.

The instant gratification that everyone demands nowadays is paving way for all this garbage.

I normally have my pickups flush with the pickguard, and I just raised them to the point where there was just enough room to fret the 24th fret and still clear the pickups. This is probably too high, high enough for the magnets to mess with the proper sustain of the strings, but I wanted to start at the most extremely high setting just to see if the harshness I had been experiencing the bridge might possibly go away, and it did! I might end up lowering them to taste, just checking to make sure the bridge harshness doesn't return, but right now I'm loving them where they are.

I also re-installed all the factory presets, and it's like "I'm hearing with new ears" (as the fictionalized Golda Meir says in Munich). I mean, none of the factory presets hit me before, but I'm freaking out over so many of them now, and they all sound "right."
I use Bill Lawrence's 'nickels' method for dialing in pickup height. Fret strings at last fret, and adjust the height so the pickup is one nickel's thickness from the treble strings and two nickels' thickness from the bass strings, and start there for fine adjustments....

I’ve seen a lot of those lately… they sound great but nothing that nobody can’t achieve with a little bit of tweaking and trusting your ears. Usually learning from somebody else’s approach to make presets, the stock presets in y fractal and doing research about the gear that my favorite artist use is more than enough for me I think

The overload on social media of individuals advertising their paid presets is turning me off.

I just saw one that said something like: "Hey, I just made this preset in a few minutes. Buy it for $5."
I know several offerings that are of very questionable quality.

Everybody is entitled to making a buck, but it's getting ridiculous, and the early years of sharing stuff with the community / offering real content seem to be over, sadly. A stark contrast between getting constant firmware updates for free <> monetizing.

BTW, this is by no means an attack on the well-known parties providing high-quality presets and offering support for those.
It's the player, not the preset....

Back
Top Bottom