Paid presets ... pfff

In the mean time, when you lose your ID on a business trip, dont have access to a printer and you need to print out a government declaration form it stamped so to be able to fly back home you'll get rejected by any shop owner you ask that little service as if you're just some societal parasite....

I have purchased some mainly to observe how a good sounding or unique preset is designed, but I only purchase from reputable preset makers with good references.

Because soo many people feel they can't replicate a sample/marketing tone they heard with a 3rd pty preset they purchased, I'd like to see one of these makers provide di+performance samples for various humbucker and sc pickup positions along with each preset and (for those who may be daw challenged) some sound instruction on how to reamp the associated DIs to customers' Axefx units and adjust any globals to "calibrate" the preset. I think there's a market for this - if I wasn't such a lazy crappy guitar player i'd do up a few myself. Sure, the reamp'd tone will not sound lhe same given different hands/exaxt guitar, however, I think the vast majority of those who gas for a sound but are dissappointed by the corresponding preset could benefit from hearing that sound they love replicated in their own environment on their own axefx as I suspect most of themdo not accept that they or their guitar is the only difference - which is maybe a reason such an idea would not sell since few really want to put any effort at all into replicating a tone and want instant perfection.

In the mean time, when you lose your ID on a business trip, dont have access to a printer and you need to print out a government declaration form it stamped so to be able to fly back home you'll get rejected by any shop owner you ask that little service as if you're just some societal parasite....
Sorry to hear this. That would never happen around here in NJ. The townspeople here are good and generous.

It's weird, presets never sound good on my guitar anyway, not without massive tweaking. I love looking at players' presets just to learn things, but they always just make me feel like there's something wrong with my playing or my guitar. I'm glad there are presets out there for people that work for them, and to me, if someone else's presets gets you to the good place of focusing on playing or writing, then it's a fantastic thing, and more power to you. It's a very difficult thing for me to judge the quality of anyone else's presets, other than just to listen a recording of them playing and to say, "That has all the right character."
I bought the AB Naked Amps set when I got in on the AxeFX3, simply because I was suddenly faced with 200+ amp models I had never encountered IRL, and wanted an idea of what each was best at, as a starting point....
Yup both of these.

There's a ton of stuff off all kinds on the net, you don't have to inhale it all, or rail against the bits that don't interest you.

But if I had a nickel for every growling testosterone poisoning end of days pretender whose amp settings eat mine for breakfast... /ducks ;)

Last edited:
Sorry to hear this. That would never happen around here in NJ. The townspeople here are good and generous.

That the Pine Barrens is not full of dead BENNYs in shallow graves is a testament to how cool Jersey folk are....

May or may not happen in Phoenix.
Depends on where you go. Bunch of savages in this town....

Last edited:
It was in Lille France, the is region well known for it's hospitality in history, but the city has changed. But since Covid everybody especially young people seem to have become a bit itchy all over the place. My wife remarked these behaviours also. Anyway an Indian shop holder helped me out and just taking off NOW

I've always had good luck with Leon (2112) Todd's presets sounding identical on my rig.
Maybe because he uses the same monitors that I do (Adam A7X)....

I detest the whole idea of buying and sharing presets. Might as well come play the dang thing for them too. The one didn't dude you this technology, everyone tend to sound the same.
Some people just like to play and/or have a sound in their head, without necessarily having the time, patience and/or technical knowledge to coax that sound out of their Fractal. Or should Cooper Carter join Metallica ?

That the Pine Barrens is not full of dead BENNYs in shallow graves is a testament to how cool Jersey folk are....

May or may not happen in Phoenix.
Depends on where you go. Bunch of savages in this town....

https://www.cambridgebrainsciences....ature-goes-up-cognitive-performance-goes-down

"A hot environment has been shown to impact the brain, with uncomfortable heat diminishing cognitive abilities. One review of the literature in the oddly-specific International Journal of Hyperthermia concluded that complex tasks are impaired more than simple tasks. At around 30 degrees Celsius, any task that requires a lot of mental effort will start to be much harder to pull off.

The stakes can be high. Studies have found that increased temperatures contributes to reduced workplace safety. Nearly any job has a cognitive component, so workers that spend time outdoors, or in offices without air conditioning, will be hit with a splash of reduced productivity and danger along with any heat wave."

https://www.cambridgebrainsciences....ature-goes-up-cognitive-performance-goes-down

"A hot environment has been shown to impact the brain, with uncomfortable heat diminishing cognitive abilities. One review of the literature in the oddly-specific International Journal of Hyperthermia concluded that complex tasks are impaired more than simple tasks. At around 30 degrees Celsius, any task that requires a lot of mental effort will start to be much harder to pull off.

The stakes can be high. Studies have found that increased temperatures contributes to reduced workplace safety. Nearly any job has a cognitive component, so workers that spend time outdoors, or in offices without air conditioning, will be hit with a splash of reduced productivity and danger along with any heat wave."
Played side stage for Alan Parsons/Yes in August '98. 118°F and humid (by AZ standards). Four songs or so in, there was a pause to introduce the band members. Had to ask what song was next. Received an unnecessarily stern, "Read the set list". Replied with, "What song did we just play?" Drank 2 gallons of water that afternoon/evening, and still couldn't pee until after midnight....

All social media is is a marketing tool. Luckily, we do have some tools at our disposal to block/remove/see less of what we don't wish to see if we're going to choose to participate on these platforms.

This particular topic has always been a mixed bag of gatekeeping/snobbery on one hand and people who are often far too generous with their time/presets/settings on the other.

I haven't felt the need to purchase presets but I wouldn't hesitate to purchase them if there was something I was interested in. I also don't hesitate to ask people (YouTube/IG) if they would share if I like what I hear and figure I could learn a thing or two about how they're achieving said sounds. Some might see the request as entitlement I suppose, I often figure the answer will be no as many people like to keep their stuff secret for whatever reasons. I don't press beyond that.

It was in Lille France, the is region well known for it's hospitality in history, but the city has changed. But since Covid everybody especially young people seem to have become a bit itchy all over the place. My wife remarked these behaviours also. Anyway an Indian shop holder helped me out and just taking off NOW
And Home. Good to see how Yek's subject opened up quite some fine sideways discussions; regarding presets I only bought 2 Marco Fanton presets that sound great BTW and developed some from there and other. I guess I preferred his presets as he actually also performs with some of these and not only is gear tester and influencer, anyway. Generally I don't like the idea of commercial presets; I don't see the interest.

I've always struggled with other people's presets, I enjoy learning from them sometimes but with where we are the the current cabs and models it's not really too hard to get a decent tone. I think the transition from Cab in the room or miced cab is the thing that gets most people. Once you get used to it then it's all good.

As you say there's a lot of decent commercial presets on here but it's a minefield out on the internet.

Back
Top Bottom