PAF Style Pickups and Optimal AXE Settings

I also have a PRS and the spike in the mids around 600-1.2k is the PRS body and the resonance from it. I have nearly the same PAFs in my Les Paul and I have none of that.

I put a PEQ before the amp and bring down that range. For me it was 2.5db. I also adjusted the input trim and drive down a good bit which worked well with both of these guitars. The only difference is I don't need to pull back between 600-1.2k on the LP.

James
Anyone have RTA (Free) suggestions? I tried True RTA but the frequencies are too broad to get anything detailed.

For what it's worth, I did re-set the bridge pickup - the treble was way too close, bass was OK. I'm probably about 3mm on bass side and 4mm on treble side when pressing down E strings. It sounds a lot better. The Pre-amp PEQ block is a big help too. I think somewehre between -2.5 and -5 dB for 600 Hz to 1200 Hz with Q of 0.707 sounds decent. This was key for me, thanks for the help.

When using the RTA, i assume just a In - shunts - Out with no amp, right?

Last edited:
Anyone have RTA (Free) suggestions? I tried True RTA but the frequencies are too broad to get anything detailed.

For what it's worth, I did re-set the bridge pickup - the treble was way too close, bridge was OK. It sounds a lot better. The Pre-amp PEQ block is a big help too. I think somewehre between -2.5 and -5 dB for 600 Hz to 1200 Hz with Q of 0.707 sounds decent. I'd like to see what the RTA says though.

In the axe fx? You can put it wherever - i would go from the cab since im guessing you're hearing this from your whole signal chain.

In the axe fx? You can put it wherever - i would go from the cab since im guessing you're hearing this from your whole signal chain.
I guess the goal of the RTA is to find out what frequencies are too hot coming from my guitar. then I can use a PEQ to try to soften those specific frequencies.

Though I'm sitting here toying with it and I Think i figured out which ones they are without the RTA.

Also using the pre-amp PEQ block with Level lowered to about -10 dB helps mimic running the guitar volume at about 8. So I can toy with that to see if it is necessary in all cases. Probably not...

Between the PEQ trick and adjusting bridge pickup height, I think I'm a lot better than I was last night.

Glad I have a piece of equipment that makes it very easy to experiment with.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...e-side-than-bass-questions-anomalies.1436706/

For future reference. This guy sets his PRS similarly to your LP. I'll have to see where I'm at and adjust to see if it helps. I have a feeling I'm much higher than that.

I assume this is measured by pressing the high and low E strings down into the 24th fret (or 22nd)?

I might like moving the primary away from the bridge buy I'll try that some other time since it is more work
Yes exactly, string fretted at last fret , sorry I didn’t specify that.

For what it's worth, I did re-set the bridge pickup - the treble was way too close, bass was OK. I'm probably about 3mm on bass side and 4mm on treble side when pressing down E strings. It sounds a lot better. The Pre-amp PEQ block is a big help too. I think somewehre between -2.5 and -5 dB for 600 Hz to 1200 Hz with Q of 0.707 sounds decent. This was key for me, thanks for the help.

For something to use in a DAW, I like Tokyo Dawn Labs Nova, it is an RTA + variable EQ that works well.

For something to use in a DAW, I like Tokyo Dawn Labs Nova, it is an RTA + variable EQ that works well.
I'm uneducated in regard to recording and DAW's. I use the FM3 via USB into computer and if needed use Audacity to record. Would Nova work with my setup?

I'm uneducated in regard to recording and DAW's. I use the FM3 via USB into computer and if needed use Audacity to record. Would Nova work with my setup?
Yes, since Audacity can use the VST plugin format, and TDR Nova has the VST format as part of it's install.
You might have to make sure they end up in the right directory that Audacity will use, or there should be a way in Audacity to point it the directory where most all VST plugins end up on your system.

PRS Cu24 with 57/08 (PAF style pickups).
... instead of hearing a growl with note articulation, instead you hear "Blaaagghhh". It works for some songs

That sounds about right. Those guitars work great for some things but not everything.

Play a Les Paul
Play a Strat.
Play a PRS.

All TOTALLY different, each with distinct features that can be strengths or weaknesses. Also, variation within the species is incredlble, especially among those that are made to be pretty.

That sounds about right. Those guitars work great for some things but not everything.

Play a Les Paul
Play a Strat.
Play a PRS.

All TOTALLY different, each with distinct features that can be strengths or weaknesses. Also, variation within the species is incredlble, especially among those that are made to be pretty.

Yes I agree. Personally I wouldn't look at this thread as a weakness of my PRS, but moreso a nuance in it's character that needs tamed to achieve the goal of getting that AFD tone. However it still has its own character that I really enjoy and prefer over LP's.

Over the years I've really gotten to know this guitar and it's characteristics. It feeds-back when I hold that mid-G note I mentioned earlier. Going from Vol 9 to Vol 10 on the guitar pot makes a huge difference in overdriving some amps, and getting a cleaned up tone for picking open chords with articulation. It can sound 'nasal' with some amps. It's fantastic for EVH style overdriven tones, but still does a fantastic job with Gilmour-ish type tones when paired with the right amp.

There's a reason why I've been bitten by GAS over the 8 years I've owned this PRS, yet still only have 1 guitar... I did briefly own a Strat with Custom Shop pickups, but never bonded with it. For styles when you'd typically expect a strat, I ended up preferring the PRS tone over the strat - so I got rid of it when GAS hit again.

It's a quicker shot just to get an LP for AFD - an epiphone will work.
You're probably right, but I have a bias for my PRS.

If I'm giving off the impression that it sounds poor, that's on me. It doesn't sound poor at all. This is just a nuance I'm trying to iron out. I feel like I'd have that with any guitar. And the solutions suggested in this thread have really helped with ironing it out.

If I'm giving off the impression that it sounds poor, that's on me. It doesn't sound poor at all. This is just a nuance I'm trying to iron out. I feel like I'd have that with any guitar. And the solutions suggested in this thread have really helped with ironing it out.

Keep your prs, love your prs, get it close. Then play an epi LP standard for afd lol.

I have 3 PRS, but if I want that LP vibe in full I grab the closest thing to an LP and go haha.

I totally understand where you're coming from! I've got a small, nuanced "frequency" that has me chasing ideas on how to deal with it. I call it a "frequency" but it's really a "sound" that I'd like to "smooth" out. It seems there's always a give and take in whichever way I attack the problem. The most successful way so far has been dialing in the input EQ on the amp block. Widening or sharpening the Q curve and also moving it is quite powerful. And while I've got it set where it sounds great, there's still a "sound" that I feel I can fix. And then I'll start playing and never even notice it....lol.

I'm quite sure I never sat around with my old amps and tried to dial out small nuances. I'm so spoiled now.

PRS Custom 24 and a LP have a lot in common. Both have set neck, mahogany neck and body, carved maple cap. Biggest differences will be the bridge setup and the pickups. The floating trem on the PRS will always sound a bit different than the fixed TOM bridge and tailpiece setup on the LP. The neck pickup is about an inch closer to the bridge on the PRS as well due to the 24 fret setup, so it will be a bit less fat sounding, and the slightly longer scale length will give the PRS a bit more twang too. All those little differences add up. You can often get close enough for rock n roll, but sometimes there's just no substitute for using a different guitar if you really want to nail a specific tone.

Last edited:
I would raise the pole pieces a bit to give your guitar a little more clarity and make sure the pickup height is close to the strings. PRS guitars are typically very warm, so finding ways to get more natural clarity out of your guitar will help a lot.

Next, try a different IR. The one you’re using may have too much upper mid frequencies that are causing the harshness. Mic placement is the best EQ for your rig, so it’s worth taking the time to explore different options.

For amp models, try the Brit 800 Mod. If it’s too thin, raise the Input Trim a little bit and reduce your Input Drive to taste. If the Master Volume is too high, it’ll accentuate midrange, so taking that down a bit can help sculpt your midrange and top end as well.

Been gigging PRSs for years and years now, and find their “doesn’t sound like my “X” guitar” freeing and inspiring. I‘ve been playing my new 594 HB through a Plexi setup (the HX/DA) and it sounds spectacular. Brought in the Axe Fx from the band equipment trailer yesterday, trying presets I’d used with other humbucker guitars, and it just sounded mediocre. Not bad, but not earth moving. As it sounds quite impressive through the amp, I know it’s not the guitar and just means I need to start from scratch and build a patch to emulate the Plexi tone I’m already getting. No doubt the Axe Fx III can do it!

This has been my experience with most guitars that aren’t the 3 classics. Whether it’s the Fractal defaults or my personal familiarity with those two Fenders and one Gibson, I can’t say. But don’t let it get you down. The sound is in there, you just haven’t tried the right combination to open the lock. Yet. :)

Been gigging PRSs for years and years now, and find their “doesn’t sound like my “X” guitar” freeing and inspiring. I‘ve been playing my new 594 HB through a Plexi setup (the HX/DA) and it sounds spectacular. Brought in the Axe Fx from the band equipment trailer yesterday, trying presets I’d used with other humbucker guitars, and it just sounded mediocre. Not bad, but not earth moving. As it sounds quite impressive through the amp, I know it’s not the guitar and just means I need to start from scratch and build a patch to emulate the Plexi tone I’m already getting. No doubt the Axe Fx III can do it!

This has been my experience with most guitars that aren’t the 3 classics. Whether it’s the Fractal defaults or my personal familiarity with those two Fenders and one Gibson, I can’t say. But don’t let it get you down. The sound is in there, you just haven’t tried the right combination to open the lock. Yet. :)
Agreed. PRS Artist P24 here w/ 57/08s hb (plus LR Baggs pe)

for Strat tones ... another plank

lots of good PRS tips in this thread

Very nice - how do your guitar sound? Does yours seem to have similar characteristics as mine?
I don’t do much for tone sculpting other than perhaps some pre-eq (maybe in a boost/drive block ie fet or ssd), but mostly just BMTPD

The PRS is not sparkle bright like my brondel s-type w Ron Ellis SCs, however it does growl, smooth playing and create beautiful pinch harmonics and resonance/sustain.

But there are tricks like setting your vol knob on 9, set tone then for a kick go to 10 on the bridge pu. Someone suggested something similar with the tone control.

I don’t know how you hear things, but I love my PRS. I have thought about trying to get a little more clarity on the top end out of it, so I’m listening too. 👍

Back
Top Bottom