Padding the AxeFX Output

brianv4

Fractal Fanatic
i run in to situations where a sound tech is asking me to turn down because the signal is too hot. I explain it's line level, pad the input.

Most recently, using a QSC Touchmix, the trim was all the way down and I was still close to clipping the board. But if I turn down output 1 I don't get enough to the CLR. (I'm using the thru on the CLR to house)

So I'm looking to get a pad to carry with me. I see in the manual the Axe output is +20 dBu so I'm considering a Whirlwind IMP Pad. They come in =10, -20, -30 and -40. I'm thinking the -20 pad would be ideal?

I haven't purchased one yet but I have from good source Radial makes one of the best direct boxes out there. They have pads at several db settings. The one recommended to me was the JDI.

Last edited:
I am still learning the Axe-FX, so excuse me if I am wrong, but why don't you copy the output 1 to output 2, send the output 1 to your CLR and the output 2 to the board. You would be able to control the outputs independently of each other and you would not have a need of a pad.

Right?

Omar

Another +1 to using both output 1 and 2 to deal with this. If you want a balanced signal to FOH from output 2 just use a DI box.

I use both outputs too. Sometimes I lower the volume in the OUT 1 global EQ by around 4 db to be able to turn the volume button a little higher. I know it's not ideal but it works for me

I use both outputs, one for main, one for my monitor. I set the main out eq level at -5db and have the output knob at 12 o'clock.

Thanks everyone! I'm aware of using both outputs (house/backline). Looking for the technical answer to my question so I'll rephrase...

If the axe outputs are +20dBu and a mixers nominal input is +4dBu, how do I calculate the difference, referenced in dB?

I use a Radial DI to convert to mic level.

http://www.radialeng.com/jdiduplex.php

I also carry two XLR female -> TRS male pig tails to convert the outputs of the snake to TRS. Then you can plug into the desk in the line inputs vs. mic inputs.

My third line of defense is just to run output 1 on the front panel really really low. The analog path in the Fractal is so clean, this actually works okay. Not optimal, but let's you get on with the show in a pinch.

I am still learning the Axe-FX, so excuse me if I am wrong, but why don't you copy the output 1 to output 2, send the output 1 to your CLR and the output 2 to the board. You would be able to control the outputs independently of each other and you would not have a need of a pad.
Right? Omar

Wrong.
I use Output 1 to FOH, and Output 2 to my IEMs, so independent volume control for each out but there are times you can't run the Axe low enough (has happened to me personally twice) because you get an idiot soundtech (is that an oxymoron?) that just can't understand the phrases "pad the channel", "line input" or "run it like a keyboard", so a padded DI is a necessity. I use the Radial JDI Duplex referenced above- it is the ultimate Swiss Army Knife of DIs.

Wrong.
I use Output 1 to FOH, and Output 2 to my IEMs, so independent volume control for each out but there are times you can't run the Axe low enough (has happened to me personally twice) because you get an idiot soundtech (is that an oxymoron?) that just can't understand the phrases "pad the channel", "line input" or "run it like a keyboard", so a padded DI is a necessity. I use the Radial JDI Duplex referenced above- it is the ultimate Swiss Army Knife of DIs.
I would not say he is wrong. If a level is to hot you can always lower the level in the global eq for that output put -12 before even starting to turn the out knob down.

Global EQ Gain slider does not affect tone other than the typical FM Curve, loud vs soft, etc. caused by any volume reduction/increase.

It just doesn't.

If you can set the switch on the back of the clr to 1 or 2 instead of X you could lower the axe output level and compensate increasing the input level on the clr. This way you should get the same volume on the atomic but you'll have a lower level on the link output

Back
Top Bottom