PA type speaker placement for best accuracy

Intoodeep1113

Inspired
I am waiting to get my first modeler (other than a POD 2.0 which sounded pretty rough through anything i plugged it into.) I have an Alto TS212 that I picked up off craigslist for $50, and I recently got a used EV EKX-15SP subwoofer. Not sure that I will even use the sub with the FM3 but it is there for the electronic drum set mostly. I see a lot of discussion and videos comparing different cabs/FRFRs but I keep seeing many PA type speakers sitting on the ground. I know thats not necessarily what the designer had in mind for a full accurate response (some do have monitor mode EQ which is cool)

Are you guys sitting these on the floor in a corner and EQing from your modeler, or are you trying to get it up to ear level and out of corners and damping first reflections etc. like you would with a decent studio monitor?

I recently watched a demo with 5 Kempers and 5 different FRFRs. The Alto was there but it sounded terrible, most likely due to not using a cab sim (a guess,because they used the same settings with the others which were more of powered guitar cabinet style than PA) and having it on the floor, the ALTO in the video produced a really muddy/bassy sound.

What do you guys do?

When I used a PA type speaker, I set them on their side, like a monitor.

With the CLR I use it both that way, and like a regular backline.

Back
Top Bottom