PA SOUND SYTEMS QSC Vs. EV LIVE X

GuitarDojo

We've been looking at various PA systems to build up/add to what we got. I was initially sold on the QSC line and Yorkvilles. (12's and 15's) I had 2 K12's and sold them for FBT verve12ma to use with my Axe-fx. Then went to the atomic cabs and moved my FBT's to monitor duty. (We are covering everything from The Cult - Police - Collective Soul - Green Day etc.)

We tried the EV Live X series at GC and I was blown away. While demoing, my drummer suggested to another GC customer that he try the QSC's based on my recommendation.
But Side by side the Live X blew the QSC and everything else outta the water (the other GC customer bought the EV's too) . Maybe it was my ears, but we get the ELX115's going in the practice room and I hook up my Nueman KMS105 to the mixer and give a "HELLO Lets Rock" and its like I got a whole different voice. Everyone stops and gives a "Whoa!!" . Nice. The best way to describe it was warm and crisp - real unprocessed vocals. And now my FBT's sound sub par as floor monitors and may be sold for the EV line 112's. Dang it!!!!

Now I am jonesin to try their Tour X line but money is tight and I think these models 2x ELX115's + 2x ELX118's + 3xELX112's are going to do us fine, and the price is just right.

Anyone out their in gigging land use these or do demo/compare with others?

Hmmm... I like the price on the EVs. I was reading reviews elsewhere and there seems to be a host of differing opinions as to which is better (QSC or Live X).

Their Tour X series doesn't seem to have powered models.

I've got the EV Live X 112Ps, and love 'em! I don't gig... yet. But I think they would fare well in a gigging situation.

How do the EV's sound at very loud gig volumes?
My last gig was outdoors, appx 3,000 capacity seating and the sound guy had 4 K12's and 4 subs. I stood in the back while he was running some sound to test levels and it was clear and loud. The bass player in one of my bands has a pair of EV112P's and they do sound nice at moderate levels but we haven't cranked them wide open yet.

I hope you were A/B'ing both set with the same sound source, EQ etc.
Since both are self-powered, it's easy for sales folks to "tweak" the model they get the better "commission" on so they sound better. Insist on testing yourself, so that you can really compare apples to apples..
All check out prosoundweb in the lounge for feed back on both sets of speakers.

And for subs, NOTHING in its class beats the Yorkville LS801P for bass output. Nothing!

Worth 3X the price of the EV Live X?
Where do you get your gear. I will be paying $300 more per QSC KW153.

Lets talk use.
@ S0C9 I have had nothing but great experiences with the Yorkville line. I love them. Yorkville LS801P +2
We will be using them for a 80-90's type cover rock band - I serve as the singer and lead guitar player so my main "hearing" issue has been with the sound/tone of the vocals out front. Clarity of voice has been my main concern and with the Presonus Live board mixing it all, my worries are dying. You can polish a turd! hahahahaa
Since I am sold on the 153's , I am not sure I will need the bass cabinets because the 153's kick pretty darn good for what we play. But if it comes up I will still grab the QSC KW 181's cuz they sound awesome too and I can get a better than average Joe price for em. I feel its win win with the QSC KW181if I ever need them, I am sure they will far surpass my needs if I feel the need to go there.

I have the luxury of having the full EV, QSC and Yamaha range available to me for testing. After a few days I was completely sold on the Qsc KW's also. Weirdly, I also really dug the K8's and might pick a couple of those up also for home use.

In the grand scheme, the Dsr's took second with the Live X a very very close third for me.

My band is very 80's influenced as a reference point.

I've got QSC K10's, K12's, and K Subs. I've done a lot of careful A/B testing with them. For the PA, I personally find that the K10's are more appealing when running as tops above the K Subs. The K12's just didn't have the articulation and clarity like the K10's. On the other hand, running either the 10's or the 12's without the subs, and I found the K12's to be the winner. But we always run the subs. Way mo betta.

When conducting A/B tests with the Axe II, I find the K12 to be the better choice. It just sounds more 'real'.

So....... We run K10's for tops, with K Subs on the bottom. We run K 12's with the Fractal and K10's for monitor wedges. We're running the Presonus StudioLive desk and the FOH sound quality is superb.

Some will argue that the K Subs don't have the nuts to move enough air and in some cases I guess they're right. We play venues of 150-200 people and the K Subs hold their own no problem. They are smoother, and rounder than other active subs I've compared. If we were playing larger gigs, I'd probably step up the subs. I also mix for another venue a couple times a month and they have the QSC KW181. That is a lovely piece of equipment, but it is bigger and heavier.

In my world, I'm always thinking of how I'm gonna move this stuff. The K Subs weigh 76 lbs and roll like butter on really nice casters. They've got handles in all the right places and are just a breeze to move and set up.
The K10's are something like 32 lbs, so they're cake to move and set up.

Anyway, with a combination of the StudioLive desk and the QSC combination, I've been pleased as punch with the sound quality.

YMMV

Back
Top Bottom