PA only No other stage volume.

Tom Morris

Power User
Cover band smaller venues. So the goal I've been working towards is the whole band (four piece) using in ear monitors each person with their own monitor mixer and run everything through my own PA, no live amps has come to fruition. Only stage volume are drums which I bough a drum screen for smaller venues. We have been practicing through the PA mainly so I can set volumes for each preset but everyone is still using the in ears because it just sounds so damn good they don't want to take them out. Most practices the drummer uses an electronic kit aside from the last practice before a show he wants to play his real drums. If need be I have a split snake in the event we play on someone else's PA

Saturday 11/19/2022 the club manager pulled me aside and showed me a list of decibel numbers each band has been playing at 90db was the average. He thanked me for being at 85db, Man I wish I had a dollar for every comment or dude you need to turn down I've heard over the years.

Cover band smaller venues. So the goal I've been working towards is the whole band (four piece) using in ear monitors each person with their own monitor mixer and run everything through my own PA, no live amps has come to fruition. Only stage volume are drums which I bough a drum screen for smaller venues. We have been practicing through the PA mainly so I can set volumes for each preset but everyone is still using the in ears because it just sounds so damn good they don't want to take them out. Most practices the drummer uses an electronic kit aside from the last practice before a show he wants to play his real drums. If need be I have a split snake in the event we play on someone else's PA

Saturday 11/19/2022 the club manager pulled me aside and showed me a list of decibel numbers each band has been playing at 90db was the average. He thanked me for being at 85db, Man I wish I had a dollar for every comment or dude you need to turn down I've heard over the years.
I've tried repeatedly to get our drummer to go electronic for this very reason. Even though the bass player and I are going direct, the drums set the volume for the PA.

warlockII Ha ha good luck with that, damn drummers. Yep same here got to be set to him. Mine was pissed I bought that drum screen but after using it one time and all the reaction it got he's on board using it in smaller places. Not to mention people are talking about it good or bad press is press no one around here uses one. This guy is an idiot banger has zero dynamics and one volume TOO LOUD. Honestly he's off in my in ears vocal mics pick up enough for me lol.

Where is he measuring and using what?

Just curious because from what I know 92dB is the reference level for dialing in tones... 90dB doesn't seem all that loud for a live band.

85 dB wow that is low. Just curious, do you have a singer too? I’d struggle to sing that quiet, I’ve hit 95 dB on meters 15 feet away singing!

85dB is not quiet. I suppose it depends on the venue and what else is going on. Is everyone glued to the band, or are they milling about having conversations?

85dB is what I use for a reference mixing level but don't stay there for too long. Maybe I'm just an old fogey...

I'd see if the drummer would try e-drums on stage. I use them all the time for musical theatre gigs and get rave reviews.

You can even retrofit acoustic shells with mesh heads and still have the look without the volume.

Otherwise, you'll still have the drum stage volume happening and I'm sure that sounds goofy at some places in the venue.

ive heard a local band that has a silent stage and edrums and while it sounded very clean, my impression was it lacked the excitement and feel of a live band. Almost like I could have had the same experience just watching a live stream on my iPad. My point is the imperfection of each player having a live rig on stage, and acoustic drums, is a big part of the live sound. Just my opinion and I’m sure it is genre dependent also. Maybe setup a small listening party in your practice space and play both ways to get some feedback if it is important to you.

Sorry, I think I was thinking about many posts from @austinbuddy referencing this value. I believe the standard is actually 85dB... My bad.
92 db is where a general db meter goes into "Okay, its technically LOUD Now" mode... and so that is what I use for dialing in LiveGold amp tones for stage use through an FRFR or PA, so they are loud enough to defeat the dreaded Fletcher Munson curve issue that affects how we perceive tones EQ-wise.

But you need not be at 92 db into in-ears/IEMs - that's different. Trust your own ears for best level for you.

I saw Roger Waters in concert recently and I swear the opening set sounds had to be above 98db -- I had to put my ear plugs in.

Back
Top Bottom