Ownhammer vs ML Sound Lab IRs Test, who is better?

Although I am not sure the exact Marshall cab, Own Hammer had a Marshall with T75's in the Heavy Hitters collection.
Yeah, it's on a Marshall Mode Four cab. Great sounding cab, just not MY "favorite forever" cab! :)

There's many great irs around! It's all about preferences. What a great time to be a guitarist!

For all the folks looking for EVH speakers in the OH collection, don't overlook the EDVH expansion for the Bogner 4x12.
That is actually one of my favorite OH releases to get that brutal EVH tone.
The pre-rolas in the EVH cab are amazing too but even more suitable for tones that lean a bit more towards the vintage vibe.

UPD. 2 So guys, I remade Marshall sample. Now is it Marshall 1960 TV with G12M‐25 Greenback® speakers. This IRs from Cab pack 8 by ML and Marsh-UK Collection by OH. Listen again. Thanks.

Marshall 1960TV G12M -

Now they sound like the same speaker! :) Thank you for doing this and fixing it!

UPD. 2 So guys, I remade Marshall sample. Now is it Marshall 1960 TV with G12M‐25 Greenback® speakers. This IRs from Cab pack 8 by ML and Marsh-UK Collection by OH. Listen again. Thanks.

Marshall 1960TV G12M -

Great Tone!!

Any chance of sharing that preset?

First off Amazing Riffs and its super cool you did a different one of each instead of same riff 5 times (its gets harder to hear differences)

in case I missed what amps model or models was used?

They all sound really good as with other the most noteable diffs are with the Recto neither better just different

the Orange and Corrected Marshalls are pretty damn close

First off Amazing Riffs and its super cool you did a different one of each instead of same riff 5 times (its gets harder to hear differences)

in case I missed what amps model or models was used?

They all sound really good as with other the most noteable diffs are with the Recto neither better just different

the Orange and Corrected Marshalls are pretty damn close
Thx, and for each cab had a different amplifier. Marshall ir - Das metall
Orange ir - Usa IIC++
EDV ir - Fas 6160
Mesa trad ir - 5153 50w blue

Marshall 1960TV G12M -

So the first one in your samples are the ML IRs? I think I prefer those personally? They seem to have a crisper too end my ear likes.
I've bought from both, quickly getting too many IRs to handle so need to stop buying these damn things and just play!

*also ML should do a 1960a g12t75 :)

So the first one in your samples are the ML IRs? I think I prefer those personally? They seem to have a crisper too end my ear likes.
I've bought from both, quickly getting too many IRs to handle so need to stop buying these damn things and just play!

*also ML should do a 1960a g12t75 :)
Hi, thx, every mix starts with Ownhammer, followed by ML Sound Lab

Personally use both producers offerings on my own projects for years. I wouldn't say one is better than another, moreso they are different interpretations of the same subject matter like Picasso versus Da Vinci.

As a matter of disclosure, I like both producers plus The Amp Factory very much and consider them inspirations for my own explorations in this space.

Hi guys,

I'd like to share a little comparison test of two popular IR makers, namely Ownhammer and ML Sound Lab. For this test I picked 3 different cabinets, most interesting and widely used. All IRs for this test were taken using Shure 57 mic positioned at the centre of the speaker (-00 for Ownhammer, A1 for ML Sound Lab).

Every mix starts with Ownhammer, followed by ML Sound Lab

UPD. Due to the fact that I accidentally used IRs with different speakers for Marshall 1960. I'm removing this sample from comparison. ML dont have same G12T75. Later, if I can find other similar Marshall IRs I overwrite this sample.

Marshall 1960TV G12M -

Orange V30 2x12 -

EDVH Pr20 (5153) -

Mesa Traditional V30 -

What do you think about the results? It would be nice to hear your and maybe IR authors' opinions, I know they are visiting these forums.

Would be great to have your patches for each of these \m/

love both, I use both regularly, sometimes blended together :) it really depends on which one suits the mix/vibe I'm going for..on a side note, what are you using for drums? snare in particular sounds killer!

About these comparisons. I was afraid because I had the "second turn" in these comparisons since people's ears tend to grip on to the first thing they hear and then simply hear the difference to that sound in the second.

There is some truth to this.
I listed to them in reverse order (on my second time around) and found myself changing my opinion of which I liked better.

There is some truth to this.
I listed to them in reverse order (on my second time around) and found myself changing my opinion of which I liked better.
Yup, if you run through all comparisons ever posted on this forum f.ex. you'll see that the first option is usually the winner. I remember posting similar comparisons back in the day. Normal-Res vs Ultra-Res f.ex. and since Normal-Res was first people preferred it. Once again people's ears set the first sound as the standard and compare the second (and other) sounds to it. The funny part in these comparisons is the tube amp vs Axe-Fx with the Axe-Fx first and tube amp second and doing the test blind folded... so many tube amps suddenly have "digital artifacts" etc.

That being said I didn't feel like my IR's were shown in a bad light here. (except for the misinformation that has now been fixed) I'm actually really happy with the comparison. :)

My picks:

Orange V30 - Draw
EDVH Pr20 - ML Sound Lab
Mesa V30 - OwnHammer

Yup, if you run through all comparisons ever posted on this forum f.ex. you'll see that the first option is usually the winner. I remember posting similar comparisons back in the day. Normal-Res vs Ultra-Res f.ex. and since Normal-Res was first people preferred it. Once again people's ears set the first sound as the standard and compare the second (and other) sounds to it. The funny part in these comparisons is the tube amp vs Axe-Fx with the Axe-Fx first and tube amp second and doing the test blind folded... so many tube amps suddenly have "digital artifacts" etc.

That being said I didn't feel like my IR's were shown in a bad light here. (except for the misinformation that has now been fixed) I'm actually really happy with the comparison. :)

Alright. So, it's been awhile since I first heard the clips. ML, I took what you said and applied it to my listening test. I listened to the second clip first and then clicked back and the first clip (reverse order). Then I used a palate cleanser and repeated by going in the original order. Here's my updated picks:
  • Marshall G12M - OwnHammer (ML's has a honky mid-range. That could be EQ'd out, though.)
  • Orange V30 ----- ML Sound Lab (ML's mid-range benefits it in this mix. Brutal!)
  • EDVH Pr20 ------ ML Sound Lab (Again, ML's mid-range makes it just sit in the mix and still sound down right nasty!)
  • Mesa V30 -------- Neither (Both have equally unpleasing qualities to them.)
Side note: I exclusively use OH impulse responses. So, as you can see from my picks, I'm not being a fan boy. I'm using my ears.

Back
Top Bottom