Ownhammer vs ML Sound Lab IRs Test, who is better?

I liked the OH's across the board in these comparisons personally.

Agree with the above post not the 3Sigma's... not digging them at all on thrones I bought.

Hey first of all thank you for the comparison! These are always interesting and the result is just like I thought. We both shoot really good IR's. :) The main problem I have is that there shouldn't be a "versus". When you buy f.ex. a pedal onto your pedal board you don't have to stick to only using Boss or MXR, right? :)

About these comparisons. I was afraid because I had the "second turn" in these comparisons since people's ears tend to grip on to the first thing they hear and then simply hear the difference to that sound in the second. I'm glad that I didn't feel like this misrepresented my IR's! :) The first comparison is probably wrong and I'm pretty sure they're not the same speaker but in other cases I'm very happy how my IR's sounded in comparison. That being said these two things should probably be fixed:

1. I don't know what a G75 Marshall is! I haven't shot the T75 speaker at any point at least so maybe they're not the same speaker. At least based on that clip I'm pretty sure they're not the same speaker.

2. My #1 mic position is not "the closest to the cap". IMO placing microphones with your eyes is the #1 mistake people make when miking cabs. My #1 IR is simply the mic position I thought represented the sound of the speaker the best. The best character so to say.

Thank you for the comparison! :)

Hey first of all thank you for the comparison! These are always interesting and the result is just like I thought. We both shoot really good IR's. :) The main problem I have is that there shouldn't be a "versus". When you buy f.ex. a pedal onto your pedal board you don't have to stick to only using Boss or MXR, right? :)

About these comparisons. I was afraid because I had the "second turn" in these comparisons since people's ears tend to grip on to the first thing they hear and then simply hear the difference to that sound in the second. I'm glad that I didn't feel like this misrepresented my IR's! :) The first comparison is probably wrong and I'm pretty sure they're not the same speaker but in other cases I'm very happy how my IR's sounded in comparison. That being said these two things should probably be fixed:

1. I don't know what a G75 Marshall is! I haven't shot the T75 speaker at any point at least so maybe they're not the same speaker. At least based on that clip I'm pretty sure they're not the same speaker.

2. My #1 mic position is not "the closest to the cap". IMO placing microphones with your eyes is the #1 mistake people make when miking cabs. My #1 IR is simply the mic position I thought represented the sound of the speaker the best. The best character so to say.

I agree with this, the first example does not sound like the same speaker to me as well. I first listened with my phone's speaker and and it was pretty evident. Then listened through my studio monitors. It was even more evident in the monitors. However they all sounded great to me. OH & ML make some of the best IR out there. Both are excellent at what they do. I don't think you could go wrong with either brand.

Hi, thanks for the feedback, Marshall is my fault, they're not the same speaker, because the ML was g12m75 while the OH was g12t75, but in 1960th. I have not found in your collection g12T75 :(
Say, then, at your IRs have mic positioned at the centre of the speaker?
And yeah Both are excellent It's true.

Hmm... is that Cab Pack 8? That would be a 90s Greenback speaker in a Marshall TV cabinet. Or is the the Pre-Rola "ML Brit PR75"? That would be a super old rare cabinet. :)

Hmm... is that Cab Pack 8? That would be a 90s Greenback speaker in a Marshall TV cabinet. Or is the the Pre-Rola "ML Brit PR75"? That would be a super old rare cabinet. :)
Is the ML Brit PR75 SM57 A1 from Cab pack 20. (based on a Marshall™ 1960® 4x12 cabinet with “pre-Rola™” Celestion™ G12M75 speakers)

UPD. Due to the fact that I accidentally used IRs with different speakers for Marshall 1960. I'm removing this sample from comparison. ML dont have same G12T75. Later, if I can find other similar Marshall IRs I overwrite this sample.

Last edited:
The EVH 4x12 has different speakers in the comparison as well, and the 2 of them are from different centuries

I like both but most of all the riffs; they are killer!!! I think it's not a matter of gettin' obsessed with frequency differences but what tone fits better in the mix and the way/moment you want to cut thru. I really would like to have them all those cab options but there's no more room in my AX8. Thanx for reading and sharing those amazing guitar riffs.

Only responding to correct a few pieces of info, and add a little context to the overall discussion.

- With the EDVH, the one I have released at this point has pre-Rola's in it, Mikko's is the stock G12EVH new production speakers.
- The Orange will be the most similar configuration between the two of us, the Traditional cab is close but not exactly the same (there have been a lot of revisions of the Mesa V30's, even within the same wattage handling).
- The 57-00 isn't exactly in the speaker center, but it's close. The FRED is even closer to center if you really want to break glass, but it's also more off axis, so it isn't as linear of a transition sonically.
- The 57-00 position could peel the paint off walls with the high end, it's pretty darn bright and scooped, and above anything I want people following this thread to be aware of this. However, I don't believe that my primary offerings should be overly restrictive, giving people a choice is my choice. That said, the "Kevin's favorites" are in the Quick-Start folder. If 00 is too bright (it is for me, quite a bit), the 57 in the Quick-Start area (likely 04-07, given that mic) is going to decrease the super biting upper mids/low treble and bring a lot more depth, character, and mix friendliness, all descriptors that are of course subject to taste and preference. If you want to melt faces, shatter bifocals, and cause premature labor, you can do whatever you want with the OH stuff. ;)
- As mentioned in the newly added tutorials section on the OH site, the OH1 mix (I always recommend starting with the one in the Quick-Start folder and branching out from there if necessary) represents a mic mix (not just 57 + 121, but the EXACT way things are set up) that has been heard on the radio a million times over the last 20 years, and would typically be my recommendation for mid to high gain tones for a full mix in a recording environment.
- You can't go wrong with the OH or ML stuff, and I recommend both if the gear they shoot is appealing to you. There is a lot of clutter and noise in the IR space now and sometimes it is hard to filter through it all, but these two vendors are capable of delivering content that can consistently achieve commercial level recordings and are a safe buy if you like their style, which is a little different. Both have had their files used on music content that has made it to the top of the Billboard charts in the last year or two, and toured in arenas around the globe. Both I know appreciate everyone's support as well, and feel it is an honor to be in the position to help you all find your voice through your instrument, your passions, and your creative endeavors. Talking in third person is weird, and I'm going to stop now.

Thumbs up for the positive vibes here!

Very cool OP, thanks man! :)

Only responding to correct a few pieces of info, and add a little context to the overall discussion.

- With the EDVH, the one I have released at this point has pre-Rola's in it, Mikko's is the stock G12EVH new production speakers.
- The Orange will be the most similar configuration between the two of us, the Traditional cab is close but not exactly the same (there have been a lot of revisions of the Mesa V30's, even within the same wattage handling).
- The 57-00 isn't exactly in the speaker center, but it's close. The FRED is even closer to center if you really want to break glass, but it's also more off axis, so it isn't as linear of a transition sonically.
- The 57-00 position could peel the paint off walls with the high end, it's pretty darn bright and scooped, and above anything I want people following this thread to be aware of this. However, I don't believe that my primary offerings should be overly restrictive, giving people a choice is my choice. That said, the "Kevin's favorites" are in the Quick-Start folder. If 00 is too bright (it is for me, quite a bit), the 57 in the Quick-Start area (likely 04-07, given that mic) is going to decrease the super biting upper mids/low treble and bring a lot more depth, character, and mix friendliness, all descriptors that are of course subject to taste and preference. If you want to melt faces, shatter bifocals, and cause premature labor, you can do whatever you want with the OH stuff. ;)
- As mentioned in the newly added tutorials section on the OH site, the OH1 mix (I always recommend starting with the one in the Quick-Start folder and branching out from there if necessary) represents a mic mix (not just 57 + 121, but the EXACT way things are set up) that has been heard on the radio a million times over the last 20 years, and would typically be my recommendation for mid to high gain tones for a full mix in a recording environment.
- You can't go wrong with the OH or ML stuff, and I recommend both if the gear they shoot is appealing to you. There is a lot of clutter and noise in the IR space now and sometimes it is hard to filter through it all, but these two vendors are capable of delivering content that can consistently achieve commercial level recordings and are a safe buy if you like their style, which is a little different. Both have had their files used on music content that has made it to the top of the Billboard charts in the last year or two, and toured in arenas around the globe. Both I know appreciate everyone's support as well, and feel it is an honor to be in the position to help you all find your voice through your instrument, your passions, and your creative endeavors. Talking in third person is weird, and I'm going to stop now.

Thumbs up for the positive vibes here!

Very cool OP, thanks man! :)

I have to give it up to both of you guys. Here we have a thread that essentially is pitting the two of you against each other, and you both come in like total scholars, and gentlemen and say noting but great things about each other! Kudos to you both for being confident enough in who you both are, and what you do to not give completely bias and subjective opinions to everyone here.
Both very cool dudes IMHO! All the more reason I support both ML and OH!

Hard to say which is better or worse. An IR that is terrible for one situation might be perfect for another. It's all about context. Some might be more versatile than others, but again that boils down to context and personal preference. The fact that they are different gives us more options. That's always a good thing.

75202630.jpg

Yeah, this thread turned out pretty cool!(I had my doubts :))
Now If only ML and OH would release irs of Marshall 1960A & 1960B cabs w/G12T-75!! Why? It's the most common and ubiquitous cab/speaker found in stages and rehearsal spaces. It's been the 'stock' Marshall/Celestion configuration since around 1985! I know many HATE those speakers but some of us like them (especially for heavier tones).
$_57.JPG

Yeah, this thread turned out pretty cool!(I had my doubts :))
Now If only ML and OH would release irs of Marshall 1960A & 1960B cabs w/G12T-75!! Why? It's the most common and ubiquitous cab/speaker found in stages and rehearsal spaces. It's been the 'stock' Marshall/Celestion configuration since around 1985! I know many HATE those speakers but some of us like them (especially for heavier tones).
View attachment 37783
Although I am not sure the exact Marshall cab, Own Hammer had a Marshall with T75's in the Heavy Hitters collection.

There's no better, only what's better for the individual. It's 100% preference. I prefer OH, but I've heard countless recordings done with Mikko's stuff that sounds fantastic, so they are obviously great as well, I just don't connect with them the was I do OH. It doesn't make one better than the other, just makes one better for me.

Back
Top Bottom