Ownhammer vs ML Sound Lab IRs Test, who is better?

keymaker

Hi guys,

I'd like to share a little comparison test of two popular IR makers, namely Ownhammer and ML Sound Lab. For this test I picked 3 different cabinets, most interesting and widely used. All IRs for this test were taken using Shure 57 mic positioned at the centre of the speaker (-00 for Ownhammer, A1 for ML Sound Lab).

Every mix starts with Ownhammer, followed by ML Sound Lab

UPD. Due to the fact that I accidentally used IRs with different speakers for Marshall 1960. I'm removing this sample from comparison. ML dont have same G12T75. Later, if I can find other similar Marshall IRs I overwrite this sample.

UPD. 2 So guys, I remade Marshall sample. Now is it Marshall 1960 TV with G12M‐25 Greenback® speakers. This IRs from Cab pack 8 by ML and Marsh-UK Collection by OH. Listen again. Thanks.

Marshall 1960TV G12M -

Orange V30 2x12 -

EDVH Pr20 (5153) -

Mesa Traditional V30 -

What do you think about the results? It would be nice to hear your and maybe IR authors' opinions, I know they are visiting these forums.

Last edited:
I just found very useful the "Clark Kent gift for mankind " IR Cab..this one works for me in almost all my patches..very,vey good !

It sounded like more low mids in the ML vs. OH in your examples.

It gave the impression that the guitars moved forward in the mix.

If I remember correctly OH position 00 isn't necessarily the center of the speaker, but simply the brightest of the captures he offers in the pack. For ML the impulse labeled 1, be it A, B, C, or D depending on the speaker location, is the mic position and capture he liked best himself usually by being very balanced.

This is such a subjective thing, and not everyone can handle the subjective opinions of other's. Hopefully this doesn't start another war of words.

If I remember correctly OH position 00 isn't necessarily the center of the speaker, but simply the brightest of the captures he offers in the pack. For ML the impulse labeled 1, be it A, B, C, or D depending on the speaker location, is the mic position and capture he liked best himself usually by being very balanced.

This is such a subjective thing, and not everyone can handle the subjective opinions of other's. Hopefully this doesn't start another war of words.

Well, if you prefer, I took most of the first IR of each pack (00 and a1). Of course subjective, well, a little holy war possible :)

Well, if you prefer, I took most of the first IR of each pack (00 and a1). Of course subjective, well, a little holy war possible :)

Just trying to clarify because these probably aren't as similar of mic positions as people might think. It does give a good impression of what to expect if someone is indecisive about who to purchase from though I think.

Your playing sounds great, and the drums sound great as well. Personally I liked ML examples across the board here. I've purchased from both, but usually choose to use my own impulse captures so I don't feel like I have an arm or leg in this race to show favoritism.

Also, your first clip says G75 which to me implies G12T-75 speaker, but I can't find that either maker offers any 1960 Marshall cab with that speaker choice. The 5153 cab is also labelled as PR which implies pre-rola, which ML only offers that cab with stock speakers being G12EVH. That places a few decades, manufacturing, and specs in between those two comparisons.

Can you clarify?

Also, your first clip says G75 which to me implies G12T-75 speaker, but I can't find that either maker offers any 1960 Marshall cab with that speaker choice. The 5153 cab is also labelled as PR which implies pre-rola, which ML only offers that cab with stock speakers being G12EVH. That places a few decades, manufacturing, and specs in between those two comparisons.

Can you clarify?
It's really so, ML ir have a g12m75 in 1960, is very strange that it does not have such a popular cabinet it with gt75. And about evh, in the description (cab pack 12) does not indicate exactly what was used, pr or not pr.
Im not here to put any weight on camp OH or ML, but i'll say that you sure got these all sound amazing! I like your groove a lot!
kiitos :)

Last edited:
Well, ML is practically a deity on this forum... and Ownhammer is practically a deity everywhere else. So I doubt you're going to have many poor sods willing to anger either of the gods.

But maybe you can ask people where they've spent their money?

I've spent ~$100 with Ownhammer and $47 with Celestion. So there's that. ;)

Back
Top Bottom