OwnHammer - Vox AC30, Mesa 412, Mesa 212 - The Justin York Collection Volume 1

ownhammer

Power User
Vendor
Hello Everyone,

I'm super excited to announce my first artist collaboration IR library, the Justin York Collection - Volume I

JYC1_600.jpg

This library was created in conjunction with Justin York, touring guitarist for Paramore, using his guitar gear you see in the image above. To this end, this is more completely new content for OwnHammer in terms of cabinets and speakers! The library bases itself on several OwnHammer innovations and methodologies, bringing a completely new and original feature set as well.

For an introduction and information on this beauty, here's what Justin has to say about it:

I’m so honored and privileged to work alongside Kevin at OwnHammer to bring you the Justin York Collection. After six months of countless hours of correspondence, play testing various capture methods and techniques, comparing multiple mic preamps, mic choice and meticulous mic placements, we’ve finally landed on what I feel is one of the greatest sounding and most useable IR libraries to date.

Fusing old and new methods from OwnHammer’s history, this library features accurate and diverse IRs by utilizing the Vector methodology that Kevin developed in 2014 and Phase Out which he developed this year in 2015. The results are outstanding, and I cannot stress enough how organic and true to life these IRs are compared to their real world counterparts. The first time I played the first IR Kevin shot of my straight Mesa Rectifier cab, I couldn’t wipe the smile from my face because I was finally hearing MY sound. I was hearing the cabinet that has traveled with me all over the world and been the core of my sound in the five years I’ve been with Paramore, and until now, I didn’t believe that my Mesa, or any of these exceptional cabinets could ever be accurately represented and used in a digital box…. I stand ecstatically corrected.

Here’s what’s in the Justin York Collection:

2008 Mesa Straight Rectifier 4x12 with 8 ohm English Vintage 30s
My main live cab and desert island 4x12. The sound is massive with deep low end, balanced midrange, and a sweet top end. EVERYTHING sounds good through this cab, and the years and thousands of shows played through it have worn the speakers in which all have very different tonal qualities and characteristics. My personal favorite speaker I mic live is the BL (Bottom Left). An IR of my live mic and mic placement on this speaker (SM7-LIVE) can be found in the Quick Start folder.

2003 Mesa Horizontal Rectifier 2x12 with 16 ohm English Vintage 30s
This is my go-to cab for recording. The low end is tight and focused, and the top end is more aggressive than the 4x12, which is great for heavier in-your-face tones. This cab has some serious “thump” and loves high gain, but it also plays nicely with clean tones as well.

1994 Vox AC30 Top Boost with 8 ohm Celestion “Blues”
This amp is very special and very rare. Only 36 Vox AC30s were made in ’94 with red tolex and this is one of them. Looks aside, this amp is THE quintessential Vox tone. It’s got chime, yet also has body and that signature midrange that Vox amps are famous for. This was my touring clean amp from 2010-2013, but took it off the road to keep it safe from wear and tear. I’m extremely excited to offer this amp in the collection as well. It has all of the classic Voxy goodness you’d expect from standard mic-ups, but we’ve also added a couple one-off mic shots based on images of live setups from a couple of legendary Vox users.

What makes this library different from the hundreds of lR libraries already out there?

The Justin York Collection is easy to use, highly intuitive, tonally diverse, and organized to help you get the sound you’re after quicker. For the “click and play” user, we’ve included a Quick Start folder to familiarize you with some of the features and sounds in the full library and to get you playing right away. For the more advanced user that has had actual experience in mic’ing an amp and knows where they want to put a 57 or 421 on the real-life cab, we offer the OH Vector approach on every speaker in every cab so you have control over WHERE you put the mic. This way, you know exactly how your amp is mic’d up, making it easier to dial in your amp models to get the sound you hear in your head. With each Vector labeled A-H, we have four “sweet spot” positions that range from brightest (1) to darkest (4).

Here’s where it gets really interesting and this is what sets our library apart from the others. I realized that different amp models came to life depending on which Vector I chose. For example, I know that I tend to use mic positions 2 and 3 the most, and in real life, I pretty much always mic up my cab in Vector C. Now I can audition different speakers and still know where the mic is positioned and can try out all C Vector options to find the speaker that speaks the best for my particular tone with the mic placement I prefer. If the C isn’t quite the right flavor, I try Vector B and move the mic around until one fits the amp just right. With this approach, you don’t have to feel like you’re scrolling blindly through IRs, but you can determine where YOU want to mic your cab, resulting in less time spent IR hunting and more time playing.

Mic Selection

In the spirit of making this library diverse without option overload, aside from the Vector variable positions of the Shure SM57 and the vintage Telefunken MD421, we offer single shot options of the following mics:

Royer R121
Sennheiser MD441
Shure SM7B
Microtech Gefell U70
AKG C414
Sennheiser e906
Beyerdynamic M160
Shure SM58 (Vox only)

Plus, Auxiliary captures for ROOM, REAR, and MID for all cabinets.

And lastly, I can’t stress enough how accurate these IRs are compared to my real cabinets. If you have any experience with these cabs in real life, you will absolutely love this library. I highly recommend using Cab Lab 3 to explore your own signature sounds to unlock the music inside you. Have fun, and good luck on your tone quest!

- Justin York

If that wasn't enough, for the first week the library will be offered at 33% off, so get it while it's hot!

Enjoy!

Last edited:
It says "Justin York Collection - Volume 1" it means that volume 2 is coming as well!?! I'll be damned!!!
instant purchase.

It says "Justin York Collection - Volume 1" it means that volume 2 is coming as well!?! I'll be damned!!!
instant purchase.

Hahaha!!! Well Kevin and I have some ideas for other pieces from my personal collection that are also awesome, but decided that these needed to be released first. I'm so happy with how this library turned out and can't wait to hear what people do with these.

The short of it is that it is a different part of the speaker that is mic'd up. A picture is worth a thousand words, and to that end there is a visual aid and some additional descriptive text on page 4 of the PDF Manual that will best describe it.

Hope that helps! :)

so if I'm reading it tight does that mean there is no axe ready ultra res files in the pack ?

you need cab lab to convert the wavs to get them into the axe fx ?

Great Idea - to make IR´s from a really working musician, who knows how sounds "work" in a live or studiosituation.

All sounds are great - i like them all - right into the face..........I fear i have to buy them...........:mrgreen

Back
Top Bottom