OwnHammer V4 Impulse Response Libraries

Lately I have been really getting into the OH2 mix from the quick start folder for my metal stuff. I believe it's the modern mix with a R121 added in. But I am really digging it lately. I to tend to go with the quick start folder, wether it be single mics or mixes.

Any word on the speakers that will be available for each cab?

I'll be enabling the library tonight before I go to bed, then doing the IG/FB/email push tomorrow, so everything will be available for everyone in about 10 hours from now. :)

Question for Ownhammer users: do you tend to stick with the Quick Start folder or do you dig through the detailed mic and mix folders?

I am curious to this myself, I have a project in the works that knowing this information could certainly be useful. Thanks for asking this, and I am genuinely interested in anyone's opinion who'd like to chime in!

I take the quick start folder, pull the M+, mid, rear and room IRs out and then dive into mics and mixes once I'm satisfied that I understand the overall tonal character. When I go back to explore other folders I tend to favor 121, 70 and 421 for mics and Bold, Chunk, JS and OH2 for mixes.

Last edited:
I am curious to this myself, I have a project in the works that knowing this information could certainly be useful. Thanks for asking this, and I am genuinely interested in anyone's opinion who'd like to chime in!
I don't even use all the Quick Starts. I only pull out certain QS mixes (OH1/2, JS, etc.). Even then I still end up with something like 400+ IRs, which is still overkill...

By the time you get through 1/3 of the IRs in any given pack, ear fatigue is setting in and it's impossible to make a good judgement call, so scanning the Quick Starts is as far as I ever go.

since they are the only IR's i've used for a long time now, I know what I like. I always start with, and usually stay on, the OH1-00 mixes. i'd advise finding what you like as far as mixes/mics are concerned and start from there.

since they are the only IR's i've used for a long time now, I know what I like. I always start with, and usually stay on, the OH1-00 mixes. i'd advise finding what you like as far as mixes/mics are concerned and start from there.

Do you tend to pick the bright impulses then bring down the high cut accordingly? Or do you just prefer the bright mixes in general?

I checked a few of my recent Cab Lab sessions. My go-to is the Mixes folder. I've been using that for a long time now. However, I like what I see in the Quick-Start folder so I'm going to give that a go on my next mix.

Terry.

99.9% of the time I am on the Quick start folder. I have found that the QS's you choose are usually the most balanced be it single mic or mix. If I am recording something and I just need it a little darker or brighter I might go into the folders and move up or down and number, say from OH1 -5 to OH1 -4 or 6 to go brighter or darker. But 99.9% of the time the QS folder is pretty damn dead on.
I also own cablab, but I prefer using your mixes because of the real world phase that is captured in the IR. to me the real world phase capture is what I love most about your IR's over others.

Do you tend to pick the bright impulses then bring down the high cut accordingly? Or do you just prefer the bright mixes in general?
for my ears it's easier to tame a brighter ir than to try and brighten up a darker ir. I like chime in my breakup tones and kerrang in my drive tones, so that may be why it works for me. if someone wants smoother/darker tones a darker ir may be a better starting point.

my point was really to find what mic or mix you really like, then let it be your starting point. i know i like the OH1 mixes, so even if the -00 is too bright, usually just a different ir in that mix is what i'm looking for. the others just don't work as well for me and how i dial my tones in.

Thanks so much guys! Just the responses so far have really given me some clarity on road-mapping, and even spawned a new and very cool idea. By all means, please continue to discuss and input feedback if anyone else has any, it's always incredibly helpful in the fine tuning process for me, especially when I am trying something different! :)

For those interested... The Heavy Hitters Collection Volume II is now available at ownhammer.com/hhc2

For those wanting a brief overview of cabs and speakers, Jon's teaser video is a quick look there:

The feature set this time around is very similar to the HHC1, albeit instead of an A1 Picks section, I have a Custom Mixes section that does something similar while also new, and VERY simple to understand. OH HHC2 GAIA FWD is rocking my world for the heavies, though your mileage may vary, and there is enough in that tiny segment of files to really get some great and versatile tones.

Enjoy, and thanks again to everyone for your support!

Just a note on the previous discussion about the quick start folder. IRs are tough enough to find as it is without doing your own mixes so I lean completely towards pre mixed IRs.

I also think less is more and would prefer to have a smaller selection.

HH2 sounds pretty good but I'm already spoilt for choice.

Wow! That Emperor cab is just... its just... wow!!! Have not had time to get to the others yet, but I can say this one is worth the price of admission alone!

On another note I am missing the progressive mixes, any chance they might come in an update?

Wow! That Emperor cab is just... its just... wow!!! Have not had time to get to the others yet, but I can say this one is worth the price of admission alone!

On another note I am missing the progressive mixes, any chance they might come in an update?

I agree, the midrange from that cab is amazing!
About the PROG mixes, check out the BOLD mixes ;).

Back
Top Bottom