OwnHammer V4 Impulse Response Libraries

Apologies. Earlier this year I was working at four times healthy capacity for three straight months, and as I should have expected, it was a bit too much and took its toll. I've also been busy with a lot of other projects, cleaned up hundreds of pages on the site, tens of thousands of database records, updating product attributes for easier pull-down, set up html5 mp3 embedded players in prep for "template tracks" I'll be making for all the cabs, prepped for amp profiling/preset creation down the road, re-established my guitar stable in prep for doing demo tracks, as well as trying to keep up with high email traffic volume, add all kinds of personal events and transitions not related to the business. As pointed out, I've been working on the HHC2 and am in actuality about 75% finished with it, and plan to have it all wrapped up file wise by the end of this month. I had planned on having it done and released by the beginning of this current month, but I just burned out pretty hard, and had other back end things related to the website with deadlines attached to them that needed attention as well. Now up and running again, and have a lot of cool stuff in store for everyone that I am very excited to push out!

Whether or not that individual's intentions were good in his/her perception, they were very condescending in tonality and simply uncalled for. There is enough of this passive aggressive and disrespectful behavior on the internet, and in any space I administrate I will not tolerate it and simply removed the comments. The world needs less of this unnecessary negativity, now more than ever. :)

Hope everyone is well, and to those who are wondering, you'll be seeing much more OH content very soon! As always, thanks for the support!

Is the Fender Cab pack coming out after the HHC2? Waiting patiently for it!

Kevin, I know you're a busy guy, so I hope that all these questions don't put you out. I was just wondering if you are at liberty to discuss your second heavy hitters collection? I think I remember you saying a while ago that it was based around a 5150 cab? Do you care to discuss any more information on this collection? The first one was my all time favorite!!! Also, do you have an ETA on the emperor cab? I have been reading a lot of great reviews on those things.

Marshall CB with T75's ?;)

T75's slated for multiple upcoming cabs, actually. :)

Is the Fender Cab pack coming out after the HHC2? Waiting patiently for it!

More Fender stuff is on the short list directly after, but I'm not sure on the specific order as I have a few very high profile cabs that came in over the last few months. For example, as I understand it one was used on a Guns 'n' Roses record and sounds PHENOMENAL, and I can't wait to unleash that beast... In honesty will likely be dependent on my mood, and change from week to week. :p Very soon after I will be adding a couple more speakers to the Deluxe Reverb though in prep for that Player Pack. With a little over 10 Fender type cabs in the stable, it will definitely be a content rich area once I am able to get shooting.

Kevin, I know you're a busy guy, so I hope that all these questions don't put you out. I was just wondering if you are at liberty to discuss your second heavy hitters collection? I think I remember you saying a while ago that it was based around a 5150 cab? Do you care to discuss any more information on this collection? The first one was my all time favorite!!! Also, do you have an ETA on the emperor cab? I have been reading a lot of great reviews on those things.

Thanks for the consideration, it's definitely been a busy season here and I apologize that my presence is sparse. :) While I'm preferring to wait on the speaker list until release just in case, these are the cabs that will be in the HHC2:

212 ZLFB - based on a Zilla Fatboy 2x12 cabinet
212 ZLSF - based on a Zilla Super Fatboy 2x12 cabinet
412 EDVH - based on an EVH 5150 III 4x12 cabinet
412 EMPR - based on an Emperor 4x12 cabinet

The Emperor is a very cool, and very balanced cab (as are the Zilla's for that matter, and kind of the 'theme' of HHC2). It is its own thing, but if I had to draw a vague comparison I'd say it's somewhere between an Orange and a Marshall, interestingly enough. It has pretty much the same dimensions as an Orange, but a VASTLY different construction methodology and grill cloth type. It's one on a very short list of cabs I've gotten where I thought that it was more like an instrument than a piece of war-ready sound reinforcement. From the construction choices to the physical aesthetics, it's more like an acoustic drum or acoustic guitar than a sound-colored PA touring back line.

Target for release is late this month, hopefully. :)

Guitarjon, sounds awesome!

I will be one of the first to buy this pack! I don't have any of these cabs in my library yet so will be nice to get some variety out of it.

Any chance for more of that amazing Celestion Blackback-L from your first studio collection? "The fattest sounding speaker in the world" (With Jeremy Clarkson voice.)

Yes ! Looking for more black backs too. Lastly I just came back to the m bb55 from the discontinued mar cb vintage collection and they are really amazing. With the improved technique now I imagine it would sound even better.

Any chance for more of that amazing Celestion Blackback-L from your first studio collection? "The fattest sounding speaker in the world" (With Jeremy Clarkson voice.)

Hey guys, in case you missed it:

I made a video in which I compare 8 different amp modelers (including the Axe FX of course) all using the same OwnHammer IR from the HHC2.
I used the OH 412 EVH OH1-05 IR for each sound.
I guess this video demonstrates how powerful and important IR's can be in creating a sound!

Hey guys, in case you missed it:

I made a video in which I compare 8 different amp modelers (including the Axe FX of course) all using the same OwnHammer IR from the HHC2.
I used the OH 412 EVH OH1-05 IR for each sound.
I guess this video demonstrates how powerful and important IR's can be in creating a sound!

Maybe I am just being bias, but I definetly think in those clips the axe sounds the best. It has a grind to it that I like better than the rest. Excellent work as always.

I had to get my OwnHammer fix, so I bought the newest Texas Heat speakers in the Mesa Recto. I normally wouldn't think of these as high gain speakers, but since Jon raved about them, I decided to check it out. I pulled up the 5153 Red 100W amp model at default settings. I started cycling through the quick start folder as usual. I liked the Modern mix and the 421 single mic. Now, I never mess with the JS mixes because I've never liked them in the past. However, I thought what the heck and clicked on it. This was the IR! I was using my JP6 BFR tuned to D standard and I went straight into Yesterday Don't Mean S**T by Pantera. Sounded downright brutal. Thanks @Guitarjon for the suggestion and the IR mix! Dime would be proud.

Yup, those will get re-shot eventually, as will pretty much every speaker I have at some point. Definitely not leaving that one out! :)

Yes ! Looking for more black backs too. Lastly I just came back to the m bb55 from the discontinued mar cb vintage collection and they are really amazing. With the improved technique now I imagine it would sound even better.

I have had a black back pack planned for a year now, and it will be paired with something very cool from another cab I've never shot before that is in dire need of representation in the IR space. Won't be my first project after the HHC2, but it's in line right around more Fender content.

How's everything looking? Still on track?

I can't wait for this collection to drop! :smiley:

Yup! Wrapping up the last little bits now, pretty much done and putting on the finishing touches. It's a great, and very versatile library that I know a lot of people are going to love, and I also can't wait for it to be out in the wild!

I had to get my OwnHammer fix, so I bought the newest Texas Heat speakers in the Mesa Recto. I normally wouldn't think of these as high gain speakers, but since Jon raved about them, I decided to check it out. I pulled up the 5153 Red 100W amp model at default settings. I started cycling through the quick start folder as usual. I liked the Modern mix and the 421 single mic. Now, I never mess with the JS mixes because I've never liked them in the past. However, I thought what the heck and clicked on it. This was the IR! I was using my JP6 BFR tuned to D standard and I went straight into Yesterday Don't Mean S**T by Pantera. Sounded downright brutal. Thanks @Guitarjon for the suggestion and the IR mix! Dime would be proud.

Glad to hear you are digging it, and thanks so much for the kind words. I saw Dime play many times, and it was always a pleasure. Not only for his talents, but the pure joy he seemed to get from playing guitar. Rarely do I see in someone's face the happiness and lack of ego he seemed to express on stage. Truly one of the greats, and is sorely missed to this day...

Question for Ownhammer users: do you tend to stick with the Quick Start folder or do you dig through the detailed mic and mix folders?

I really liked my OH stuff when I first got the AX8 and stuck with the Quick Start, usually OH1 or OH1F mixes. But when I started trying other options they sounded kind of dark in comparison. I've been struggling to find something that had a nice balance of warmth and cut and spending a lot of money in the process.

This weekend I went back to the OH cabs again and noticed the Quick Start OH1 mixes tended to be 06-07, so I went to the detail files and tried the 01-03 and they really opened up again. I'm excited to kind of revisit the probably dozens of OH cabs I have now.

So I'm curious how others use the OH cabs? Do you tend to use the same mics and mixes frequently or will you try anything and everything? Do you tend to use Quick Start or go through the other folders as well?

Question for Ownhammer users: do you tend to stick with the Quick Start folder or do you dig through the detailed mic and mix folders?

I really liked my OH stuff when I first got the AX8 and stuck with the Quick Start, usually OH1 or OH1F mixes. But when I started trying other options they sounded kind of dark in comparison. I've been struggling to find something that had a nice balance of warmth and cut and spending a lot of money in the process.

This weekend I went back to the OH cabs again and noticed the Quick Start OH1 mixes tended to be 06-07, so I went to the detail files and tried the 01-03 and they really opened up again. I'm excited to kind of revisit the probably dozens of OH cabs I have now.

So I'm curious how others use the OH cabs? Do you tend to use the same mics and mixes frequently or will you try anything and everything? Do you tend to use Quick Start or go through the other folders as well?

Very good question!

I tend to stick with the Quick start stuff 99% of the time.
From those folders I tend to load the Bold, Chunk, Mdrn, OH1 and OH2 mixes into my axe fx for every speaker option.
To be honest though, I almost always just stick with the OH1 files because they seem very balanced to me.
A full bottom end with an open high end.
However the brightness that works for you can differ a bit so like you said, trying a slightly higher number than the quick start choices can be an excellent option.

I also noticed, like you, that a lot of other commercial libraries have either a dull high end or harsh top end.
I found that the OwnHammers tend to have the most balanced and pleasing frequency response overall.

Anyway, like I said the QS OH1 files work so well for me that I don't need to use other mixes often.
If the sound is too dark I'll just add some presence and it's done.

I always dig your mixes and was hoping you'd chime in! I know you said you were a fan of the OH1 mixes but your stuff seems to have a little more cut than I hear when I'm playing.

I've got probably 10 different brands of IR's and Ownhammer always has my favorite for the midrange, very full and even. Sometimes have to cut the lows but that's no big deal. The high end is also consistent with OH but subdued to where I want to be, but I'm hoping this takes care of that. And I like not having to do high cuts!

I always dig your mixes and was hoping you'd chime in! I know you said you were a fan of the OH1 mixes but your stuff seems to have a little more cut than I hear when I'm playing.

I've got probably 10 different brands of IR's and Ownhammer always has my favorite for the midrange, very full and even. Sometimes have to cut the lows but that's no big deal. The high end is also consistent with OH but subdued to where I want to be, but I'm hoping this takes care of that. And I like not having to do high cuts!

What kind of tones are you going for and what amp models do you like to use?

Back
Top Bottom