OwnHammer V4 Impulse Response Libraries

I have a quick question for anyone used the California Duo Collection and the Heavy Hitters Collection Vol 1.

What are the main differences in sound between the Mesa Traditional and Mesa Standard/OS for the same speaker/mic, etc?

I love the Mesa Cabs and the G12H-30 speakers which rules out the individual Mesa packs. Does the Traditional sound as big as the Standard but tighter?

Thanks in advance for any info you can send my way. I am definitely picking one of these up, but I can't justify both right now.

Thanks for the free demo files too, they are absolutely amazing!

I have a quick question for anyone used the California Duo Collection and the Heavy Hitters Collection Vol 1.

What are the main differences in sound between the Mesa Traditional and Mesa Standard/OS for the same speaker/mic, etc?

I love the Mesa Cabs and the G12H-30 speakers which rules out the individual Mesa packs. Does the Traditional sound as big as the Standard but tighter?

Thanks in advance for any info you can send my way. I am definitely picking one of these up, but I can't justify both right now.

I'd say the Mesa from the HHC has a bit of a brighter and more agressive sound and the Trad has a fuller and warmer midrange.

Kevin,

Really liking pretty much everything you are coming out with! Very usable tones in there, and a killer bang for the buck. I still would recommend a simpler folder structure to the downloads, and maybe a folder with one or two expert-evaluated "exemplary mixes" of each cabinet/speaker combination. With so many options, it is a very daunting task to go in there and try to put together something really ideal.

Kevin,

Really liking pretty much everything you are coming out with! Very usable tones in there, and a killer bang for the buck. I still would recommend a simpler folder structure to the downloads, and maybe a folder with one or two expert-evaluated "exemplary mixes" of each cabinet/speaker combination. With so many options, it is a very daunting task to go in there and try to put together something really ideal.
Yeah, I went in and pulled ONLY the Quick Start mixes (e.g. -OH1, -OH2, -SP, -JS, etc.) ... and still ended up with 380+ IRs. And I only own a few of the Ownhammer packs and a couple expansions.

Thanks to those chiming in regarding questions on time/phase, HHC, etc, all responses were bang on. :)

Also, @ownhammer, do you have any more news on the upcoming Fender cab pack? I am interested in getting the Deluxe Reverb cab, but am wondering if I should just wait for the Fender pack to come out if it will include the deluxe cab that is already on the site. Thanks

I am unsure between email, social media, forums, etc, where I have and have not posted information, but the Blackface Duo is going to begin development directly after the Class-A Duo is releases, which will be in the next few weeks. From there, I will have 2-3 more Fender bundles in the queue, staggered with libraries from other types of cabs. At my current plans, I will not be repeating the Deluxe Reverb, but I will be doing more speakers in the Tweed Deluxe.

I am still on the fence, in regard to Cab Lab, because I only own an Ultra. Do you guys think it is worth buying anyway?
I have tons of Ownhammer Ir's and have had, from the beginning. I also plan on the getting more of the V4 stuff. As far
as a loader/etc..., would it be worth it? I still use LeCab2, lol, for the most part.

Cab Lab is a great piece of software, and definitely at a fair price for what it offers. That said, if you're sticking with freebies, I'd recommend switching from LeCab2 to Ignite's free NadIR. While not the best sounding (yes, loaders do and can sound very different), it's way better than LeCab2 to my ears, which sounds broken and does bad things to the top end.

Kevin,

Thanks! Very glad to hear you're digging the new packs! :) If it helps to you or anyone who has similar inquiries, among the million other things I have going on right now I'm also very slowly building out a tutorials section that will serve this function. What is already up in the General area will help describe the mix files in application, less the 'what they are made of' segment in the PDF Manuals:

ownhammer.com/tutorials

On the whole, the Quick Start represents what I feel are the most generally applicable "ideal" placements for the mics on a given cab for the typical purposes for which it is used. There is no such thing as a singular "best" file that will work for every person in every situation, and is why the verbose options are included beyond the Summary (where available) and Quick Start area in the form of the Mics and Mixes folders. If possible and practical, it is always best to audition IR's in a DAW and loader that has quick browse functions (next arrows or a quick pull down) if you are wanting to tweak and overly fine tune, rather than doing so in limited space outboard units. That's not always available or ideal, hence another reason for the aforementioned Tutorials area I'm chipping away at... sloooooooowly... :)

Hope that helps!

Thanks, Kevin. I'll pay more attention to the Quick Start next time. I think I did try it out, but I also think my ears repeatedly need calibration to get truly mix-ready presets.

Thanks for the advice on LeCab. I TOTALLY agree that different loaders sound different from one another.
I have NadIr also and every other VST know to man. I think I will finally take the plunge on CabLab. I also
wanted to let you know that I have appreciated and loved your work from day 1. Never had an issue finding
an IR to do the trick. I hope this is not the end and you can find another way to keep on trucking.

Thanks for the advice on LeCab. I TOTALLY agree that different loaders sound different from one another.
I have NadIr also and every other VST know to man. I think I will finally take the plunge on CabLab. I also
wanted to let you know that I have appreciated and loved your work from day 1. Never had an issue finding
an IR to do the trick. I hope this is not the end and you can find another way to keep on trucking.

Check first - I believe CabLab is only compatible with AxeFX II line and newer

CabLab is only incompatible, in regard to, loading the ir's directly in to the Axe-fx Ultra.
Also, the Ultra cannot utilize the Ultra-Res spec Ir's. However, it is usable in a daw
situation, where your using the Cab Lab VST plug, in the box, (ITB), only using the Ultra, or any
other source, whether it is a preamp, tube amp, VST amp, for the preamp signal... I hope I have this correct and I am not leaving anything out. It would be helpful for sales, if the application description
was more clear, for those who do not own a fractal device, looking for a pro quality
impulse response loader. Am I right here?? Please correct me if I missed anything.

Nice to see I replied to the wrong post.

When you mentioned Ultra in earlier posting figured you were looking to push to it rather than use in DAW - just didn't want you to be disappointed

Cheers

Thanks to those chiming in regarding questions on time/phase, HHC, etc, all responses were bang on. :)

I am unsure between email, social media, forums, etc, where I have and have not posted information, but the Blackface Duo is going to begin development directly after the Class-A Duo is releases, which will be in the next few weeks. From there, I will have 2-3 more Fender bundles in the queue, staggered with libraries from other types of cabs. At my current plans, I will not be repeating the Deluxe Reverb, but I will be doing more speakers in the Tweed Deluxe.

Cab Lab is a great piece of software, and definitely at a fair price for what it offers. That said, if you're sticking with freebies, I'd recommend switching from LeCab2 to Ignite's free NadIR. While not the best sounding (yes, loaders do and can sound very different), it's way better than LeCab2 to my ears, which sounds broken and does bad things to the top end.

Thanks! Very glad to hear you're digging the new packs! :) If it helps to you or anyone who has similar inquiries, among the million other things I have going on right now I'm also very slowly building out a tutorials section that will serve this function. What is already up in the General area will help describe the mix files in application, less the 'what they are made of' segment in the PDF Manuals:

ownhammer.com/tutorials

On the whole, the Quick Start represents what I feel are the most generally applicable "ideal" placements for the mics on a given cab for the typical purposes for which it is used. There is no such thing as a singular "best" file that will work for every person in every situation, and is why the verbose options are included beyond the Summary (where available) and Quick Start area in the form of the Mics and Mixes folders. If possible and practical, it is always best to audition IR's in a DAW and loader that has quick browse functions (next arrows or a quick pull down) if you are wanting to tweak and overly fine tune, rather than doing so in limited space outboard units. That's not always available or ideal, hence another reason for the aforementioned Tutorials area I'm chipping away at... sloooooooowly... :)

Hope that helps!
Sounds good, thanks!

I have to say that once I picked up on the numbering system, it helped me narrow my IR choices tremendously. I now go through and pull out all the 4-6 IR's and audition those only. I do this because I tend to gravitate towards IRs that are pretty balanced in the high end and low end, 1-3 seem to be much brighter than I like, and 7 -10 seem to be too dark for what I like. 4 -6 usually fall in the "just right category". Sometimes 4 is perfect, sometimes 5 or 6, depending on the speaker, mic, and mix it is going into.
But the numbering system really helped me greatly once I picked up on it, and actually read the read me file included with the IR's. ;)

Thanks in advance for any info you can send my way. I am definitely picking one of these up, but I can't justify both rig412 MES-STht now.

similar question here..i'm torn between 412 MES-TR and California Duo..i'm looking for the 4x12 trad straight which is only included in the California Duo pack, which it costs double the price, and i wonder how much difference there is between the trad and the slanted..

similar question here..i'm torn between 412 MES-TR and California Duo..i'm looking for the 4x12 trad straight which is only included in the California Duo pack, which it costs double the price, and i wonder how much difference there is between the trad and the slanted..

I have to agree with @Guitarjon when he said "I'd say the Mesa from the HHC has a bit of a brighter and more agressive sound and the Trad has a fuller and warmer midrange." Both are super tight and huge sounding.

I ended up buying both the Heavy Hitters and California Duo packs. I am still going through all of them.

To answer your question, I compared 2 of each V30's (V30 and V70) in the Quick Start folder with a looper on the 6160 Block factory preset (#63) and went back and forth to each matching file name for a little while just listening. I figured the mic position and mix would be really close so it would be a decent comparison in my mind.

OH 412 MES V30 57-05 (California Duo)
OH 412 MES V30 OH1-05 (California Duo)
OH 412 TRAD V70 57-05 (Heavy Hitters)
OH 412 TRAD V70 OH1-05 (Heavy Hitters)

In my opinion you can't go wrong with either purchase. Both sounded great to my ears, but I can see how they could sit in a mix slightly differently depending on what else you have going on. I think the additional sounds you would get from the 2x12 in the California Duo more than make up for being double the price if you are worried about the extra $15. You could always get the California Duo and the "Free Demo" pack to compare on your own.

Thanks man for putting some time to make this comparison! I took a look at the Heavy Hitters and I saw it includes the Mesa Standard/Oversized 4x12 cabinet straight, which I think is similar to the Mesa Boogie Standard slant 4x12 cabinet offered as free demo. I'm exactly into "fuller and warmer midrange" tone, so the "TRAD" choice. My specific question is "same cabinet, same mic'ing, same mixes, how much the slanted/straight thing affect the sound?". In the real world I know a very little bit, but in the IRs world I would have an answer by @ownhammer or by who own the twos. If they sound almost the same, I'll take the 412MES-TR, if they sound slightly different I'll go to the fuller, warmer and darker.

Thanks man for putting some time to make this comparison! I took a look at the Heavy Hitters and I saw it includes the Mesa Standard/Oversized 4x12 cabinet straight, which I think is similar to the Mesa Boogie Standard slant 4x12 cabinet offered as free demo. I'm exactly into "fuller and warmer midrange" tone, so the "TRAD" choice. My specific question is "same cabinet, same mic'ing, same mixes, how much the slanted/straight thing affect the sound?". In the real world I know a very little bit, but in the IRs world I would have an answer by @ownhammer or by who own the twos. If they sound almost the same, I'll take the 412MES-TR, if they sound slightly different I'll go to the fuller, warmer and darker.

It's my pleasure to try and help out with a comparison. The community has been really helpful with my few questions I have had so it feels nice to be able to contribute too. FYI, in the post above I mixed up the (California Duo) and (Heavy Hitters) notes when I listed out the cabs I compared. The answer was correct though in the Trad has a fuller and warmer midrange. It should have read like this.

OH 412 MES V30 57-05 (Heavy Hitters)
OH 412 MES V30 OH1-05 (Heavy Hitters)
OH 412 TRAD V70 57-05 (California Duo)
OH 412 TRAD V70 OH1-05 (California Duo)

I did the same test real quick (~5min) this morning before I left for work with the Mesa Boogie Standard slant 4x12 cabinet offered as free demo and the Mesa Standard/Oversized 4x12 cabinet straight from the Heavy Hitters Collection and to my ears, the version in the free demo is just slightly brighter/more aggressive than the straight cab from the Heavy Hitters Collection. Just a slight shift in the upper mids and highs. I'm not sure how much of that is the V30 vs V60 or the slant vs straight cab. I used the "57-05" and "OH1-05" for this comparison too.

Again, both sounded amazing. Good luck with your decision. I hope this is helpful.

To me, as was talked about somewhere, I think maybe in this thread, haha, the 412 MES-TR can sound much darker, to the tune of the stock Petrucci IR, which honestly is why I shot the California Duo. The 412 TRAD (California Duo) not as lively as the HHC Standard/OS, a thicker sound than that, but it's not nearly as rolled off (for lack of a better way to describe it at the moment) as the 412 MES-TR. To each their own, different strokes for different folks and all that, which is why they're currently both still up on the site. :)

Just updated and went live with ownhammer.com/tutorials which was previously mentioned in this thread, at least the general info page. Handy little cheat sheet on there now. Posted elsewhere online and will do so for an email blast tomorrow, but here's the pre-recorded intro:

With the emergence of the current direct recording and amp modeling platforms, lots of folks who have always just brought their head, cab, and maybe a couple pedals to gigs or the studio are now finding themselves in a position where they are responsible for something they never were before - the mic'd cabinet sound - which can be daunting on walking through that door for the first time. It has come to my attention that some out there look at the sheer file count in the OwnHammer libraries and don't realize just how simple and well organized the libraries are for both beginners and experts, so I've created the following segment on the website devoted to dispelling the misrepresentation that just because there is a hearty provision of options, that you have to sort through everything to get where you want, and in a timely fashion. In addition to some cursory information on what IR's are, there is a great and simple little cheat sheet for the OH Quick Start mixes that will cover about 95% of use cases. I typically only use 2 files out of every library (OH1/OH1F) almost every time, depending on which guitar I'm playing, if that says anything.
1f642.png

Hope that helps, and will be contributing more to that space in the future!

Have a great weekend everybody!

Same here, ^^^, I don't even bother with the other ir's, unless the tone is way off, or needs a bit of separation, etc... It is a good thing that those ir's are there though, just in case you want to stray from the norm and experiment. You can sometimes surprise yourself, by throwing a couple of random ir's together, you never use. They are there for a reason. :)

Back
Top Bottom