OwnHammer V4 Impulse Response Libraries

Hey, i have the Justin York collection, which IR's do you recommend for Mesa Boogie (IIc++ or mark IV) lead sound? The ones I tried so far (mesa cabs miced with SM57 + R121 mixes) generally seem a bit too bright and harsch. Any advice is appreciated!

Cheers!

I would guess something like the BL 57H4+121 (really, any of the A4, B4, C4, etc) mixes are going to sound a bit darker overall since they are farthest from the center, while the A1, B1, C1, etc are going to be brightest.

Hey, i have the Justin York collection, which IR's do you recommend for Mesa Boogie (IIc++ or mark IV) lead sound? The ones I tried so far (mesa cabs miced with SM57 + R121 mixes) generally seem a bit too bright and harsch. Any advice is appreciated!

Cheers!

Hi Oscarraap! Here are a couple tips that may help you find what you're looking for. First of all, these IR's have zero EQ on them and are completely natural, so if you feel like the top end is harsh, try lowering the High Cut in the cab block to around 10k (go higher if you want more sizzle or go lower if you want more meat). Next, try the 4x12 BR speaker as that one sounds the most balanced in my opinion. I probably should make a video on this at some point, but here's my simple approach to selecting an IR...

1. Decide which mics you want to use. I almost always use 57+121, 421+121, and SM7B. The 57 is brighter, the 421 is darker, and the SM7 fits somewhere in the middle.
2. Load up position 3 of each letter in Cab-Lab or Axe Manage Cabs. (57A3+121, 57B3+121, 57C3+121, etc)
3. You'll only have 8 IR's to audition (A3-H3). Pick the one that sounds the best to you.
4. Once you find the letter you like, position 3 will probably work great for you, but if you want it darker, try position 4. If you want it brighter, try positions 1 or 2.

Here are a few of my favorites.
BR 57B3+121
BR 57G3+121
BR 421A3+121
BR 421B3+121
BR SM7B

Let me know how it works out for you.

-Justin

Thanks very much Justin! I did some good work tonight with your approach. Starting with a new set of strings. The BR folder has quite a few I like with my Mark IIC++ patch. I tried the 421+121 for the first time; it's great! I like the "3" range. For SM57+121 the "4" range seems to work better for me. I set low cut at 85 and hi cut at 8.000 in the cab block.

Just curious, what amp do you use for leads? Where do you set low cut? And do you use any motor drive in the cab block?

Cheers! Oscar

Thanks very much Justin! I did some good work tonight with your approach. Starting with a new set of strings. The BR folder has quite a few I like with my Mark IIC++ patch. I tried the 421+121 for the first time; it's great! I like the "3" range. For SM57+121 the "4" range seems to work better for me. I set low cut at 85 and hi cut at 8.000 in the cab block.

Just curious, what amp do you use for leads? Where do you set low cut? And do you use any motor drive in the cab block?

Cheers! Oscar

Awesome! I'm so glad you're finding some cool stuff that's working for you! As far as the cab block goes, I tend to set my Low Cut anywhere between 80-100 for high gain patches. I use Motor Drive sometimes if a patch needs a little extra something, but never set it past 1.5, but after I discovered the Preamp CF Comp in the Amp Block, I mainly just use that if an amp needs a little more compression.

For lead stuff, I just use a drive block with the FET Boost to just give me a little more of what I've already got. Since you're using a IIC++/Mark IV, I'm guessing your graphic EQ is doing the classic "V" shape which sounds great for rhythms, but can cause single higher notes to disappear. Try using a FET Boost and bring up the midrange just a little bit so your solos can cut a little more while still maintaining consistency with your rhythm tone. If that doesn't work for you and you want a different amp, maybe try the Solo 88 Lead. I've been really liking that model lately.

Hey Kevin (@ownhammer), @JustinYork, @Guitarjon and all
Is there a summary somewhere with some kind of comparison between the various speakers and cabs within the HHC?
I know this is very much a personal option, but I feel like I'm shooing blinding looking through some of the options in the HHC pack.

I loaded up the A1 picks last night and tried a few of them with my existing presets and would love to further explore the pack, but to start looking for a quick-start folder to try, I really need to make a choice of 1/ what cab(s) to explore, then 2/ which speaker(s).

If anybody has some go-to's, I'd love to hear them and start exploring, knowing they are at least proven start points. i.e.
Mesa Mark/Recto amp + MES412 V30
Plexi amp + 412MAR EDVH
Friedman HBE + 412ORG M25... etc.

My go-to sounds could be somewhere in between: ACDC, FooFighters, Pearl Jam, Incubus, Lenny Kravitz, etc. Many of these work well for me with the ML Zilla all green, vintage & modern IR's

Any examples to explore within this style would be great.
Thanks - Callan.

Thanks guys for all the help, I have definitely solved some problems. My use of the 808 drive was throwing my sound off course. The FET boost works much better for me. So that, and a more methodical approach of auditioning IR's that Justin has suggested, really helped a lot!

Cheers!

Hey Kevin (@ownhammer), @JustinYork, @Guitarjon and all
Is there a summary somewhere with some kind of comparison between the various speakers and cabs within the HHC?
I know this is very much a personal option, but I feel like I'm shooing blinding looking through some of the options in the HHC pack.

I loaded up the A1 picks last night and tried a few of them with my existing presets and would love to further explore the pack, but to start looking for a quick-start folder to try, I really need to make a choice of 1/ what cab(s) to explore, then 2/ which speaker(s).

If anybody has some go-to's, I'd love to hear them and start exploring, knowing they are at least proven start points. i.e.
Mesa Mark/Recto amp + MES412 V30
Plexi amp + 412MAR EDVH
Friedman HBE + 412ORG M25... etc.

My go-to sounds could be somewhere in between: ACDC, FooFighters, Pearl Jam, Incubus, Lenny Kravitz, etc. Many of these work well for me with the ML Zilla all green, vintage & modern IR's

Any examples to explore within this style would be great.
Thanks - Callan.

IR's are probably the most personal aspect in a guitar player's signal chain, and there is no single IR that works for every player's hands across every style, so exploring is a fun and important part of the process. The HHC is massive and diverse, but easy to navigate if you stick to the basics and then branch out.

In your case, I would start with an amp you like. Choose one that you like the tone and feel of and keep it at fairly neutral settings. Then, load up the OH1 Quick Start file (or Summary file) for each speaker and each single cab for a total of 12 files. Mark the ones you like the best and enjoy! If you want to go deeper, try some other mics and mixes in the Quick Start folders from the cabs and speakers you liked.

Let me know how it goes!

IR's are probably the most personal aspect in a guitar player's signal chain, and there is no single IR that works for every player's hands across every style, so exploring is a fun and important part of the process. The HHC is massive and diverse, but easy to navigate if you stick to the basics and then branch out.

In your case, I would start with an amp you like. Choose one that you like the tone and feel of and keep it at fairly neutral settings. Then, load up the OH1 Quick Start file (or Summary file) for each speaker and each single cab for a total of 12 files. Mark the ones you like the best and enjoy! If you want to go deeper, try some other mics and mixes in the Quick Start folders from the cabs and speakers you liked.

Let me know how it goes!
Fantastic, thanks Justin.
It's quite a jump from "here is an amp and here the matching cab/included speaker", which has been my experience in the physical world.
I'll add those oh1's later today and see how I go. Cheers

When importing the Ownhammer IR files into Cab-Lab to be converted for the axe-fx, are you supposed to use both minimum phase and auto trim, or just one or the other? I tried just min-phase and I think they sound good, but I'm just wondering what I am missing, if anything, by not doing the auto trim.

Also, @ownhammer, do you have any more news on the upcoming Fender cab pack? I am interested in getting the Deluxe Reverb cab, but am wondering if I should just wait for the Fender pack to come out if it will include the deluxe cab that is already on the site. Thanks

When importing the Ownhammer IR files into Cab-Lab to be converted for the axe-fx, are you supposed to use both minimum phase and auto trim, or just one or the other? I tried just min-phase and I think they sound good, but I'm just wondering what I am missing, if anything, by not doing the auto trim.

OwnHammer IRs are all phase aligned with one another already, so as long as you're not intending to mix with IRs from another source you shouldn't need the MPT or autotrim pass at all. If you want to negate the chance of potential phase issues for the future, I guess I would recommend the MPT option over the autotrim, but for my money converting the OH IRs raw w/o either option sounds just a touch more open and "better" when you compare the three, so I've always processed these IRs with no extra conversion options.

FWIW, here's a forum post I found where the options are discussed in a bit more technical detail, but as always I think the "if it sounds good, it is good" argument is the best one ;)

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/cab-lab-3-converting.97610/

OwnHammer IRs are all phase aligned with one another already, so as long as you're not intending to mix with IRs from another source you shouldn't need the MPT or autotrim pass at all. If you want to negate the chance of potential phase issues for the future, I guess I would recommend the MPT option over the autotrim, but for my money converting the OH IRs raw w/o either option sounds just a touch more open and "better" when you compare the three, so I've always processed these IRs with no extra conversion options.

FWIW, here's a forum post I found where the options are discussed in a bit more technical detail, but as always I think the "if it sounds good, it is good" argument is the best one ;)

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/cab-lab-3-converting.97610/
Ok, thanks. When converting, do you use the Fractal files from the OH site or just the Wav. IR's?

Ok, thanks. When converting, do you use the Fractal files from the OH site or just the Wav. IR's?

I use the files in the Fractal folder as they've been prepared by OH w/ the correct sample rate and time alignment standard for conversion to fractal's UltraRes format already. They'd basically be the same thing as the 48 kHz 200 ms wavs (can use those -- or 500 ms or 88.2 kHz -- in an IR loader in a DAW for example), but for conversion to the Axe I stick with the ones in the Fractal folders for convenience sake.

I use the files in the Fractal folder as they've been prepared by OH w/ the correct sample rate and time alignment standard for conversion to fractal's UltraRes format already. They'd basically be the same thing as the 48 kHz 200 ms wavs (can use those -- or 500 ms or 88.2 kHz -- in an IR loader in a DAW for example), but for conversion to the Axe I stick with the ones in the Fractal folders for convenience sake.
Got it, thanks!

I am still on the fence, in regard to Cab Lab, because I only own an Ultra. Do you guys think it is worth buying anyway?
I have tons of Ownhammer Ir's and have had, from the beginning. I also plan on the getting more of the V4 stuff. As far
as a loader/etc..., would it be worth it? I still use LeCab2, lol, for the most part.

Back
Top Bottom