OwnHammer V4 Impulse Response Libraries

The price points of the libraries over the years have never been high enough to sustainably support large overhauls as free updates. Minor updates, revisions, corrections, sure. However the work required compared to the price asked for the difference between major version changes would be a heavily inverted return, and the V4 libraries are no different in this regard.

Hi, I'm a long time customer and have many of your collections, i don't ask for free updates as i completely understand the work involve, but i will ask for comparisons side by side with the V4 updates cabs and the old ones to decide if its worth to re purchase cabs that i already have in older versions.

For the last couple of years I've been buying a lot of Ownhammers. Not every single pack but all the big ones from the 1x12, 2x12 and 4x12 studio mixes, MGE, v3 through to the current v4 cabs. I've noticed improvements all the way, both sonically and ease of use with the quick start mixes. I use these new Ownhammers pretty much exclusively now, both from the MAR-66 cabs, the new MAR-CB for anything Marshallish and the VX-212 for anything Voxish. Looking forward to trying out this new Alnico Gold IRs. Very well done Kevin for your constant tone search and looking forward to re-purchasing the next level of awesomeness when you get to v5 and v6 :)

Hi, I'm a long time customer and have many of your collections, i don't ask for free updates as i completely understand the work involve, but i will ask for comparisons side by side with the V4 updates cabs and the old ones to decide if its worth to re purchase cabs that i already have in older versions.

Will see what I can come up with when I have some time to do so. In the interim, there is a free demo that should help give an idea of the sound and feature set that is offered partly for this purpose. :)

Question: do these responses still need to be converted before they can be used with the Axe Fx2?

If you mean used with the cab block, yes, you'll need to convert them with the commercial or free version of Cab Lab. I use the Axe-Fx II with the .wav files all the time, in the DAW. It's my go-to signal chain these days. :)

For the last couple of years I've been buying a lot of Ownhammers. Not every single pack but all the big ones from the 1x12, 2x12 and 4x12 studio mixes, MGE, v3 through to the current v4 cabs. I've noticed improvements all the way, both sonically and ease of use with the quick start mixes. I use these new Ownhammers pretty much exclusively now, both from the MAR-66 cabs, the new MAR-CB for anything Marshallish and the VX-212 for anything Voxish. Looking forward to trying out this new Alnico Gold IRs. Very well done Kevin for your constant tone search and looking forward to re-purchasing the next level of awesomeness when you get to v5 and v6 :)

Thanks for the kind words, as well I got a good chuckle out of that last bit, haha. In frank sincerity, I'm starting to sell off the cabs as I finish them now, keeping the really rare, irreplaceable stuff though. Once I'm done shooting everything, I'll likely move on to other parts of the business and life in general. If there's a V5 or V6, it'll likely be limited in scope, and of a different technology type, if one ever surfaces that would be worth that much more time and effort. :)

Congrats Kev! Stoked for the new high gain pack

Me too! Wasn't a pitch, that library has some really, really special stuff in it. Really can't wait to get that out, I think everyone even remotely interested will flip for it given the feature set and the sounds and tones it enables.

So you're creating the SP mixes Scott without actually listening to the result? :)

FWIW, I've found Scott's mix recipe is rock solid and incredibly consistent no matter the cab or speaker. It does a great job of pulling in elements that capture the full spectrum of what the cab is and does, which is very cool and easily applied to various source gear. Really dig it. :)

Yek, are you doing FRFR these days or still amp + cab? Wondering if you're shaving any his and los with these IRs if going live?

I use amp+cab at rehearsals. It sounds really great and I have less stuff to carry (cab stays at rehearsal room).

Live I go direct to FOH and I use either amp+cab or my CLR(s). Depends on the gig.

I cut lows at 80 Hz and highs at 8 kHz in the Cab block. I then use the Global EQ to finetune, depending on the room.

I use amp+cab at rehearsals. It sounds really great and I have less stuff to carry (cab stays at rehearsal room).

Live I go direct to FOH and I use either amp+cab or my CLR(s). Depends on the gig.

I cut lows at 80 Hz and highs at 8 kHz in the Cab block. I then use the Global EQ to finetune, depending on the room.

Thank a bunch Yek. In this scenario, are you getting any additional hi or lo cutting at the board or from the sound guy (if you have one), or is this your own personal hi/lo cut and you leave it alone at the board?

I'm using the same IR approach although I've gone back and forth with OH1 and SP2 mixes myself. The thing is, I think I'm already getting a preset cut at the Presonus digital board but I have no idea where those cut points are and neither does our bassist who runs the board. They're just presets like "Guitar 1" etc. I'm thinking about asking him to not run a preset on my channel anymore and just let me set it. I don't know that there is harm in a more aggressive cut scheme on top of mine though for final mix...but then again I don't know! My worry is simply do I cut and risk another cut to muddy it up or do I not cut and let him run the board preset? Problem with the latter is I don't know how I'm getting cut.

Thank a bunch Yek. In this scenario, are you getting any additional hi or lo cutting at the board or from the sound guy (if you have one), or is this your own personal hi/lo cut and you leave it alone at the board?

I'm using the same IR approach although I've gone back and forth with OH1 and SP2 mixes myself. The thing is, I think I'm already getting a preset cut at the Presonus digital board but I have no idea where those cut points are and neither does our bassist who runs the board. They're just presets like "Guitar 1" etc. I'm thinking about asking him to not run a preset on my channel anymore and just let me set it. I don't know that there is harm in a more aggressive cut scheme on top of mine though for final mix...but then again I don't know! My worry is simply do I cut and risk another cut to muddy it up or do I not cut and let him run the board preset? Problem with the latter is I don't know how I'm getting cut.

TBH, I never bother about the FOH sound. I just let the soundmen do their job. :)

If I were to operate the FOH mixer, I'd set the cut-off point aggressively.

I select the cut-off points in the Cab block solely for my own convenience (FRFR monitors), knowing that soundmen will always use more drastic frequencies.

I set Low Cut in the Cab block at 80Hz because I'll never want to hear anything below that.
I set High Cut in the Cab block at 8 kHz because I do not need anything above that.

These values do not interfere with the soundmen's job.

V4 the L-BB in Marshall 4x12 and I will buy it 12 times! :hearteyes:

Will absolutely be doing the G12L-35 black back in the 412 MAR-CB. The five 70's black backs (H55-BB, H75-BB, L35-BB, M55-BB, and M75-BB) will likely be the next that hit that cab, though I have a million things going on right now and not sure exactly when that will be. Will be super awesome and worth the wait though. :)

Quick update on the forthcoming Heavy Hitters Collection:

I've finalized the speaker option inclusions, those being...

412 DZL:
- 12K - Based on Celestion G12K-100 speakers.
- GOV - Based on Eminence Governor speakers.
- V30 - Based on Celestion Vintage 30 speakers.

412 MAR:
- EDVH - Based on Celestion G12-EVH speakers.
- T75 - Based on Celestion G12T-75 speakers.
- V30 - Based on Celestion Vintage 30MF speakers.

412 MES:
- CL80 - Based on Celestion Classic Lead 80 speakers.
- H30 - Based on Celestion G12H-30 Creamback speakers.

412 ORN:
- GOLD - Based on Celestion G12 Alnico Gold speakers.
- M25 - Based on vintage Celestion G12M-25 "black back" speakers.

There will also be all possible speaker mix permutations, so under each cabinet will be 9 different "speaker type" options. As you can see, this isn't a library *just* for metal. The intent is huge tone that covers anything from classic rock, to alternative, to rock, to hard rock, to progressive, to metal; really anything you'd use a 4x12 for, not just blistering down-tuned stuff, though it totally slaughters for that purpose. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom