OwnHammer V3 Mix Libraries Now Available!

Thanks guys, glad everyone is digging the files, and also thanks to everyone going back to the beginning of this thread for all their kind words, support, and encouragement. This has been a lot of work the last couple months and the wonderful positive experiences and thoughts everyone has shared in this thread have kept me going through the long work days. So thank you to everyone!!!

Hey Kevin! I'm a big fan of your previous work and I'll definitely be getting a full compliment of the new v3 IRs!

I was wondering if these IRs are shot using the new technique which allows you to compensate for the amplifier driving the impulse?

Sorry if this has already been mentioned but this thread has over 300 posts in it!

Thanks!

Thanks very much!

I believe what you are referring to is the FAS "reference file" technique, to which I will not be participating as I feel it a detriment to my process rather than a benefit. Even if I were going the strict simulation route, it is my opinion that running the gear I am running I would get less accurate results from putting those pieces in the chain, add that I don't use the Axe-Fx for stimulus or capture. In POST 174 of this thread there was some additional questions/info on this topic, if that helps! :)

Thanks guys, glad everyone is digging the files, and also thanks to everyone going back to the beginning of this thread for all their kind words, support, and encouragement. This has been a lot of work the last couple months and the wonderful positive experiences and thoughts everyone has shared in this thread have kept me going through the long work days. So thank you to everyone!!!

Thanks very much!

I believe what you are referring to is the FAS "reference file" technique, to which I will not be participating as I feel it a detriment to my process rather than a benefit. Even if I were going the strict simulation route, it is my opinion that running the gear I am running I would get less accurate results from putting those pieces in the chain, add that I don't use the Axe-Fx for stimulus or capture. In POST 174 of this thread there was some additional questions/info on this topic, if that helps! :)

Thanks, Kevin!

Thanks very much!

Are you saying we should tune out power amp color in the speaker page with your IRs then?

I don't think he's saying that. His signal chain makes his sound. If you want to alter it that's ok, but his IRs sound pretty dang cool to me! So do others. If everyone made IRs the same way that'd be boring :)

I agree, they do sound different, and to my ears, better ... I was just wondering if we were encouraged to remove the built in Axe FX poweramp colouration.

I agree, they do sound different, and to my ears, better ... I was just wondering if we were encouraged to remove the built in Axe FX poweramp colouration.

its not that kind of power amp "coloration". do not turn off power sims in the Axe, lol...

Do you guys do a lot of blending of different speaker types?
I didn't really get into that often because it didn't always sound 'right' and I thought I'd stick to one cab type per guitar...
However, Kevin told me he likes to blend different speakers and I've read about other people doing that here often so I decided to just give it a shot with some new Ownhammer V3's.
Well, it sounds really good with these new IR's!!
For instance I love the new Tex speaker in the Bogner but it can sound a bit dull on it's own so Kevin suggested blending that one with a V30 and voila! It works very well....
How often do you guys do this and do you just do this in the Axe FX itself or do you like to blend in cablab?
I mostly use the RMDR mixes btw and sometimes the MIX files.

Do you guys do a lot of blending of different speaker types?
I didn't really get into that often because it didn't always sound 'right' and I thought I'd stick to one cab type per guitar...
However, Kevin told me he likes to blend different speakers and I've read about other people doing that here often so I decided to just give it a shot with some new Ownhammer V3's.
blending speakers has been around a long time. rumour has it that EVH used Greenbacks together with JBLs, Lynch blended Greenbacks with Fanes and so on. when I was still using real amps, my smaller "club size" setup consisted of four 1x12s, two running V30s and the other two EVs. do I still blend speakers ? oh yes ! I could be wrong and certainly don't want to take credit for it, but it could even be that I turned on Kevin a bit more to speaker blending since I blended away like crazy during early beta stages with great results I had to share with him...

blending speakers has been around a long time. rumour has it that EVH used Greenbacks together with JBLs, Lynch blended Greenbacks with Fanes and so on. when I was still using real amps, my smaller "club size" setup consisted of four 1x12s, two running V30s and the other two EVs. do I still blend speakers ? oh yes ! I could be wrong and certainly don't want to take credit for it, but it could even be that I turned on Kevin a bit more to speaker blending since I blended away like crazy during early beta stages with great results I had to share with him...

yeah man definitely!
These ir's blend really well though compared to others.
Probably because of the consistency and quality these files have!
There's a lot of IR blending going to happen here from now on!

Probably because of the consistency and quality these files have!
absolutely !
this whole V3 library thing has made me very happy. especially having all these choices with a consistent high quality. some speakers just don't sound good on their own, that's just how it is in real life, but sometimes blending that slightly trebly and gritty speaker with a fuller one makes for a really good tone. and Kevin captures all those details very well IMHO. examples that come to mind... the "classic" Bogner setup with V30s and T75s (terrible speaker on its own :) ), Scumback H and M 75...

funny blending speakers should be mentioned...i've never been a fan until these V3's. and I stumbled across my new fav blend for Marshall in a pretty funny accident today. planning on uploading a clip tomorrow. i had moved a bunch of cabs around in cab manage and forgot that it would change the ir mix i had been working on, and it turned out to sound better...all in a happy accident, lol.

I also like to blend speakers. I tried a lot blending Ownhammer/Redwirez/Greg Tomao IRs with my go to IR, ASEM Recto - the later is too scooped on its own but works very well when I add a R121 or a M160 to add low mids

Hi Kevin. Just bought another 3 speakers today. That's 8 or 9 so far. Totally loving the Lynchback in the Diezel cab. I need to buy more speakers for that cab now, it sounds great! Kicking myself on giving away my original account to a forumite a few years back when I sold my Ultra! Missing out on even more volume discount lol. Need to build it back up. :D

edit: I'm not a V30 guy really. Will you be adding the PR20 Greenback or the EDVH to the DZL cab? Perhaps the Scumback M75/H75? Thanks.

Hey Kevin ... do you recommend changing the LF Res in the Speaker tab to different amounts depending on what Cab of yours were using? Do you have any exact numbers handy?

Are you saying we should tune out power amp color in the speaker page with your IRs then?

Nah, the difference is not that drastic. Shouldn't worry about any strict theoretical stuff, the files were made to sound good (opinion) without messing with advanced parameters as I don't think it would be useful to put something out that people have to tweak to sound right. The amp is vastly more similar to a solid state amp in response than a typical guitar tube amp. No assembly required. :)

You have most certainly had a very positive influence on a great many things, and for that I am eternally grateful!

PLEASE GOV in the Sun!

Hehe, will get there in time. Will be out in the Orange PPC412 this week though.

Hi Kevin. Just bought another 3 speakers today. That's 8 or 9 so far. Totally loving the Lynchback in the Diezel cab. I need to buy more speakers for that cab now, it sounds great! Kicking myself on giving away my original account to a forumite a few years back when I sold my Ultra! Missing out on even more volume discount lol. Need to build it back up. :D

edit: I'm not a V30 guy really. Will you be adding the PR20 Greenback or the EDVH to the DZL cab? Perhaps the Scumback M75/H75? Thanks.

Thanks for coming back! :)

Will be doing all the speakers in all the cabs over time. Only so many hours in the day, will get there eventually though!

Hey Kevin ... do you recommend changing the LF Res in the Speaker tab to different amounts depending on what Cab of yours were using? Do you have any exact numbers handy?

I don't use the cab block, so I wouldn't be of much use here. I just load IR's in the DAW, much quicker and easier to flip through thousands upon thousands of them for me personally. As always YMMV. With these types of things though, I am a firm (and I would caps and bold that but I don't want it to look like I'm trying to be a dick, which I'm not) believer that it's one of those "twist the knob and leave it where you like the way it sounds" parameters. :)

Back
Top Bottom