OwnHammer V3 Mix Libraries Now Available!

All the V30's (including all the 8-ohm's inferred by your question) and the Lynchback are up now for the 412-GTR BOG-ST.

:encouragement: ... been waiting for the 8 Ohm V30's to drop in "The Bog"... now just keeping my eyes peeled for the EDVH in the MA... I'll stop... you know where I'm going with this Kevin. :lol

Last edited:
This past week I actually was messing with some single coil neck clean tones. My favorite was, in the 412-GTR MAR-TV cab, blending the M-PR20-75 Raw Modern, H-PR-55 421, and FN-42 414 to taste, with the 421 and 414 further under the Raw Modern in level. I love the character of those old speakers that the new production speakers just don't seem to have as much of in the low gain department. I'll be doing something more traditional Fender in a little bit, just trying to knock some of these 4x12's out of the way first since they are quicker to put together.

Thanks for the reply Kevin. I've been trying the M-PR20-75 and H-PR-55 but with the MAR-CB not the TV. Guess I'll also go for the TV version to try this out. I'm primarily a bridge pickup user, same combo would work? Will try out what you suggested next week and buy some more IRs. The suggestion you made, was there a certain # position you chose? Thanks for the advice!

Just for clarification, if I use a certain # position, like 05, is it important I use that same number for the other IRs, or is it cool to mix and match? Will there be any bad phase problems if I mix and match? When I mic a cab I usually put a 57 and 421 and have the 57 closer to the center, and then 421 to the side of it right next to it closer to the edge. Would this be the same as combining lets say 57 03 and 421 06 or something?

:encouragement: ... been waiting for the 8 Ohm V30's to drop in "The Bog" and the and the Lynchback in the MAR CB... now just keeping my eyes peeled for the EDVH in the MA... I'll stop... you know where I'm going with this Kevin. :lol

:lol Yeah, yeah, "soon". BOOM!!! Hahahaha. Seriously though, soon. :)

Thanks for the reply Kevin. I've been trying the M-PR20-75 and H-PR-55 but with the MAR-CB not the TV. Guess I'll also go for the TV version to try this out. I'm primarily a bridge pickup user, same combo would work? Will try out what you suggested next week and buy some more IRs. The suggestion you made, was there a certain # position you chose? Thanks for the advice!

Just for clarification, if I use a certain # position, like 05, is it important I use that same number for the other IRs, or is it cool to mix and match? Will there be any bad phase problems if I mix and match? When I mic a cab I usually put a 57 and 421 and have the 57 closer to the center, and then 421 to the side of it right next to it closer to the edge. Would this be the same as combining lets say 57 03 and 421 06 or something?

Very welcome. :)

If you already have them in the CB, I'd say try those first and see if you like them with this mixing method. The cabs are noticeable but not as extreme as, say, the difference between the Bogner and the Engl. The TV has less low mid push by comparison so it can sound more modern, for lack of a better term, but is also less warm. I was planning on getting the Fane in the CB soon, not sure if you'd want to wait for that or look to it in one of the other cabs it's already in.

I use Raw Modern 03 (so, inherently, 57 03) and 421 05 with the singular 414. That's just my favorite combo for how the mics are placed pretty much universally. Won't run into any weirdness, the positions are just moving the mic across the face of the speaker (00 closest to center and brightest, 10 furthest from center and darkest), and everything is time and phase coherent unless you are using the non-MPT'd .wav files and mixing them in the DAW, or something like SoX. Even then, they should be relatively useful, and similar to what the Raw mixes are, however mixing mics from different speakers the time of flight variance may be larger than the same mic models but within the same speaker. If you're using Cab-Lab (anything other than version 3's non-MPT section, or however it will be designated in the GUI), time/phase weirdness is not possible with any combination.

Last edited:
Thanks! So the 414 and 121 only have 1 position? Are the 57 and 421 close to the grill and the others further back? Mind describing the placement of the mics a bit more? Also typically when blending the 421 05 and 414 under the Raw Modern 03 how are the relative Dbs set? Just trying to get the best idea of what you'd consider an optimal tone and learn more about mic placement in the process.

Tried your lpf 4 pole method around 13250 in the axe and it sounds awesome just bumping th Q a tiny bit. Do you just set this Q by ear, or a specific value? Do you also hi pass in that filter or run a second filter with a 4 pole hi pass around 60/80 or so also with a Q bump?

Finally would you recommend using any of the cabinet parameters with your IRs if you were using the cab block? Adding in any room, or a certain preamp? Or would you just leave the settings default to get the most out of the IRs?

Hope you don't mind all the specific questions but since I'm new to modeling im looking for a solid default setting to start off with so I can base my tweaks off of that. Appreciate it and will keep buying V3 cabs happily! Can't wait for the 1x12s and bass cabinets!

Last edited:
Those new IR's you dropped yesterday are really great Kevin!
I was very surprised at how awesome the Marshall-CB-V30-EN-16 Cab sounds!
I highly recommend this one for rock but I think it will work amazingly in any style.... well except for Peruvian sidewalk panflute music maybe.....

btw, these V3 mix IR's have now become my only option for 8-string guitar.
8-strings can be a bitch to dial in, they really need good IR's because they have such a wide range and you want every part of the frequency range to sound nice.
I've found such a good combo and I'll post a recording tomorrow.

I've just bought me a bunch to try out. Thanks! I love your pricing model. Already have the 412 vintage and modern studio mixes. The clips I've heard of the V3 sound more alive. Looking fwd to trying them. Here's what I grabbed. Thoughts? I'm mostly a Marshall guys, but wanna play with some Mesa, Bogner, and EVH too. I don't get along with the Friedmans - they have some sort of overtone that I don't like in the axe, through phones at least.

412-GTR MAR-TV EDVH V3 MIX
412-GTR MAR-TV M-PR20-75 V3 MIX
412-GTR MES-ST V30-EN-08 V3 MIX
412-GTR BOG-ST V30-EN-08 V3 MIX
412-GTR BOG-ST EDVH V3 MIX
412-GTR BOG-ST LYN-BK V3 MIX
412-GTR BOG-ST M-PR-55 V3 MIX

Just sent 483 UR IRs to my XL. Can't play now, but will later! Suggestions on which IRs I should start with? Single SM57? Raw Modern? Raw Vintage?

Just double checking but the Non-MPT IRs are in the OwnHammer\Axe-Fx-II\Ultra-Res directory and NOT the OwnHammer\Wav\48000-Hz_Mono directory, correct? The .wavs in the Wav folder have already been MPTd?

Going to make some tests using real amps through my Torpedo Reload and loading the .wavs with WoS.

Thanks!

Just had some time with these with the 50w High Plexi. Love them. The TV with the PR20 is very nice, but I am loving the Bogner cab with the EDVH, but especially the Lynchback. Terrific. Many IRs sound a bit flat or pillow over the cabinet, but these V3s are very good!

Just double checking but the Non-MPT IRs are in the OwnHammer\Axe-Fx-II\Ultra-Res directory and NOT the OwnHammer\Wav\48000-Hz_Mono directory, correct? The .wavs in the Wav folder have already been MPTd?

Going to make some tests using real amps through my Torpedo Reload and loading the .wavs with WoS.

Thanks!

No. I don't think that is the case.

No. I don't think that is the case.

I disagree, I think it may be! Kevin stated it in another thread and I was just double checking to make sure it was correct.

"all of the OwnHammer libraries have files in the Axe-Fx-II\Ultra-Res folder that are non-MPT'd .wav files. If you disable the cab block, route your Axe-Fx into the DAW, and bring up a convolution reverb plugin, you can load 48 kHz mono .wav files from the OwnHammer\Axe-Fx-II\Ultra-Res directory and compare them directly to files in the OwnHammer\Wav\48000-Hz_Mono directory. The difference is noticeably audible."

MIXing IRs

Since this was brought up earlier in the thread, the "ALN-BLU" and "H-RI-55" are out for the 412-GTR BOG-ST, as well as the "EV-L" speaker.

Guys, DO NOT PASS UP TRYING THE BELOW, especially you, yek!

Blend the ALN-BLU and the EV-L 50/50, I did that with the "MIX" file and was just in chime heaven. The EV-L is so much more lively in the Bogner cab than in the Mesa, and it fills in the midrange of the ALN-BLU beautifully.

Hey Kevin,

I always used AomDSP to mix IR previously so I am trying to take your advice and "Blend the ALN-BLU and the EV-L 50/50" but when I do I seem to get a really loud/noisy IR. Am I doing something wrong?

I select the IRs and mix it .5 /.5

I'm not at my computer at the moment so I can't tell you exactly which IRs I'm using but I'm using the first ones on the list.

Thank you!

Thanks! So the 414 and 121 only have 1 position?

Correct, in the way I use those mics with this multi-mic setup they are static elements, as to me they blend with the other mics as a singular entity comprised of a complementary pair (i.e. the 121+57 is ONE mic, and the 421+414 is ONE mic).

Are the 57 and 421 close to the grill and the others further back? Mind describing the placement of the mics a bit more? Also typically when blending the 421 05 and 414 under the Raw Modern 03 how are the relative Dbs set? Just trying to get the best idea of what you'd consider an optimal tone and learn more about mic placement in the process.

Sincere apologies, but for reasons of competitive advantage I will not be detailing any of my techniques. This was one of the reasons I didn't take any 'mics on the cab' pictures as I am doing some quite different things this time around that were the result of purpose driven and specific mic placements, again, going back to the complimentary pairs concept (that I don't mind putting out there, as I feel it may make sense of why some of the mics sound the way they do and possibly uncharacteristic of what one might "think" they would sound like, which would give a better idea of how to use them).

I typically like the 421 and 414 noticeably lower than the Raw Modern. For example, in cab lab if you have Raw Modern 03 at 0.00, try the 421 anywhere from -6 to -12, and the 414 from -9 to -15 respectively.

Tried your lpf 4 pole method around 13250 in the axe and it sounds awesome just bumping th Q a tiny bit. Do you just set this Q by ear, or a specific value? Do you also hi pass in that filter or run a second filter with a 4 pole hi pass around 60/80 or so also with a Q bump?

This was specific to the "fizzies", which I find to usually be anywhere from 12-15k, most often times falling at 13250. A lot of times I will just narrow notch that frequency, but in the Axe-Fx with FW 17.00 (what I am and have been running for a while) I found I've had to low pass instead. I haven't installed FW18 to see if my issues with the high end have gone, but from what I have heard of the clips in the recording section, especially the comparison ones, it appears to have been taken care of to a large extent. :)

Finally would you recommend using any of the cabinet parameters with your IRs if you were using the cab block? Adding in any room, or a certain preamp? Or would you just leave the settings default to get the most out of the IRs?

I don't use the cab block, so honestly I don't have any suggestions there out of ignorance. With the Axe, I just use the amp modeling and occasionally filter blocks before or after it to make the amp sound how I'd prefer it to.

Hope you don't mind all the specific questions but since I'm new to modeling im looking for a solid default setting to start off with so I can base my tweaks off of that. Appreciate it and will keep buying V3 cabs happily! Can't wait for the 1x12s and bass cabinets!

No worries, I appreciate you asking it here where I hopefully only have to answer it once rather than email where I have to copy/paste stock responses over and over. Eventually I will probably post my FAS Modern patch up that has a lot of these tweaks in it, and explain each and why they were performed. For example, notching out the bees in FAS Modern (FW17) at 12 kHz but then taking steps to make sure that doesn't neuter the sound (like bumping the Q). Just a matter of time, which is something that I am in short supply of at the moment. :)

Those new IR's you dropped yesterday are really great Kevin!
I was very surprised at how awesome the Marshall-CB-V30-EN-16 Cab sounds!
I highly recommend this one for rock but I think it will work amazingly in any style.... well except for Peruvian sidewalk panflute music maybe.....

btw, these V3 mix IR's have now become my only option for 8-string guitar.
8-strings can be a bitch to dial in, they really need good IR's because they have such a wide range and you want every part of the frequency range to sound nice.
I've found such a good combo and I'll post a recording tomorrow.

Thanks Jon, glad you're digging them! However, now I want to listen to Peruvian sidewalk pan flute music, and I want to dance the safety dance while doing so. :lol

Also, I want to say thank you for all the tireless work you've done creating sound demos the last few weeks. You have been in beast mode!!!

I hear you on the dialing in of sounds in the mix. Something I want to draw some attention to as it is related to your sentiment is the content of THIS POST. Not only does this factor come into play with detuned guitars themselves, but also how the guitars relate to other elements, and with regard to stacking guitar tracks. I know you know this, but, this was an important point I didn't want to be overlooked so I'm bringing it up here. :)

Thanks!

As mentioned in follow up posts, I just want to clarify that the files in the Axe-Fx-II\Ultra-Res directory are not MPT'd, but the ones in the Wav directory are. I may, not sure, down the road add an update to have another folder in the Wav section with non-MPT'd IR's as well. I would need to rewrite and re-run my build scripts, and could dedicate a week to doing that once I have it to spare.

Hey Kevin,

I always used AomDSP to mix IR previously so I am trying to take your advice and "Blend the ALN-BLU and the EV-L 50/50" but when I do I seem to get a really loud/noisy IR. Am I doing something wrong?

I select the IRs and mix it .5 /.5

I'm not at my computer at the moment so I can't tell you exactly which IRs I'm using but I'm using the first ones on the list.

Thank you!

aomDSP does not output Axe-Fx II sysex files that are compatible with the Axe-Fx II anymore. A few months after Lynn passed away, Cliff changed the sysex format for the Axe-Fx II, and it will no longer load the files properly that aomDSP compiles. The Axe-Fx (I, Standard/Ultra) still work though. For creating Axe-Fx II files you now need to use Cab-Lab.

Kevin:

i want to make my own v3 mixes using the irs in the "mics" folder using cab lab. am i right that using cab lab will phase align them so it will result a "prestine" version. how would i go about in making them "raw" with cab lab?

thanks

To accomplish the effect of the Raw mix files, you would need to mix the files from the Axe-Fx-II\Ultra-Res folder in the DAW or with something like SoX, then convert the mixed .wav file to sysex with Cab-Lab. When I have time, I will be posting what commands to use in SoX to mix IR's in the ownhammer.com/tips section. Right now it is empty, just too much going on right now.

Sorry Kevin, here is another question: I've just read this in CK's Cab Pack 8 thread

"RAW = not minimum phase transformed = retains phase information = has a more authentic attack but is not time aligned with other IRs so you will have phase issues when blending them with other IRs

Does that mean, as I'm mainly use the RAW files - I should only use one cab mix and not blending them with another RAW-mix of the V3-MIXES because of phase issues? Or should I use therefore 2 different cab blocks?

"As mentioned in follow up posts, I just want to clarify that the files in the Axe-Fx-II\Ultra-Res directory are not MPT'd, but the ones in the Wav directory are. I may, not sure, down the road add an update to have another folder in the Wav section with non-MPT'd IR's as well. I would need to rewrite and re-run my build scripts, and could dedicate a week to doing that once I have it to spare."

Non-MPT'd IRs in the wav section would be VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!!!! That would be ideal. I can't go back to MPT'd IRs anymore haha. But I think the non-MPT'd wavs would be incredibly useful. I hope this happens!
What would be the difference between the non-MPT'd wavs in the Ultra-res directory vs the 48K mono Wavs directory? Just curious.

Thank you, Kevin!

Back
Top Bottom