OwnHammer V3 Mix Libraries Now Available!

So I'm a beta tester for OwnHammer, and I wish I could have weighed in earlier on this topic but I've been super busy as of late and haven't had any real sit-down time to really record something nice.

When it comes to high gain applications, I feel like a lot of folks pick out IRs that are too bright out of the gates because they're satisfying to play and stick out to them. That isn't to say that there aren't applications for bright IRs - I'm pretty sure there are some really dense electronic mixes on here that use position 00 or 01 with these and it's the only way the guitars would cut through. But for the most part, I find my happy place to be somewhere in between positions 05 and 07 on these IRs. Otherwise the high-end buildup just makes the guitars stick out quite a bit (not in a good way). Think though - it's a pretty common technique with modern heavy music to filter down quite a bit of top end (7-8k) and use a high shelf filter to boost the top end (16-20k) to compensate if need-be.

Then again, I'm using BKP Holydivers in a 7 string baritone and play heavy rock (not technical death metal) - kind of like Textures/Tool/APC, yada yada. So YMMV.

Also, don't be scared to look at the raw vintage IRs - you might be able to get away with a slightly brighter IR because they don't have the same high end roll-off. I would certainly consider using the lower positions (00-03) on solo type material though because it definitely cuts through the wall of guitars without getting too screechy.

That said, I believe that this "too bright" thing is going to change when we see the G3 rollout. It's always been my opinion that there have been issues with the way the Axe-fx II handles breakup throughout the entire sonic spectrum and that this is negatively impacting the way the models crunch/sputter/crackle/etc, especially in the high end as things builds up. Instead of sounding like an amp, things just start to hiss and sound... well... fake and plastic. I'm not UNHAPPY with the Axe-fx II, mind you, but I'm really hoping that FW 18 starts to address this issue (and from what I've heard it will). So what might be "fizzy" today might actually be "airy" tomorrow. We won't really know until it comes out.

But I stand by my reasoning that a LOT of people in modern heavy music using the Axe-fx just start out of the gates by selecting IRs for rhythm stuff that are far too bright for multi-tracking applications and then think the IRs are too "fizzy" or "harsh".

with a bright to dark range of 00 to 10 in the library I think everyone should be able to find something suitable. IRs don't really add "fizz", a really bright one may just let it through more than a dark one.
I've been using quite a few of these for the past couple of weeks and always find myself in the 00-04 range. not doing the full metal high gain thing though.

Yeah but that's precisely my point. When guys say there's a "fizz" to an IR when they are using position 03 on high gain stuff... well yeah... they're brighter than the next 7 down the line.

But context is everything. If you're finding fizz in your mix when multitracking, the simplest thing to do is try the next darker IR until you find a sweet spot and adjust your amp model accordingly. But like I said - I wouldn't spend too much time at this point REALLY fine-tuning sounds unless you absolutely have to or don't want to update to 18, because by Cliff's admission a whole lot is about to change with V3.

Yeah but that's precisely my point. When guys say there's a "fizz" to an IR when they are using position 03 on high gain stuff... well yeah... they're brighter than the next 7 down the line.

But context is everything. If you're finding fizz in your mix when multitracking, the simplest thing to do is try the next darker IR until you find a sweet spot and adjust your amp model accordingly. But like I said - I wouldn't spend too much time at this point REALLY fine-tuning sounds unless you absolutely have to or don't want to update to 18, because by Cliff's admission a whole lot is about to change with V3.
you're absolutely right. sometimes people forget that when using a darker IR they could just compensate with a little amp treble push. oh well... :)
and yes, I've been mostly using these with fw18 (beta) and as Cliff pointed out at various occasions, 18's top end is much fuller and refined now more than ever.

Hey guys,

Sorry for the delay, been working around the clock on this stuff. First I am going to announce a couple of things because many of the questions I'm gonna try to answer will be directly related to these and will make the answers simpler.

- Announcement 1 -

I am a big Joe Bonamassa fan, love his music, his playing, and his live rhythm tone which is one of my all time favorite guitar tones, but has always been lost on me how he was getting it. Well, the mystery is solved. On the site now is a speaker option that is where he is getting that massive "BRONGGG" in his live distorted rhythm tone. If you don't know what I'm talking about CHECK OUT THIS VIDEO. The "M-PR20-75" currently in the 412-GTR MAR-CB container is a 1966 paper voice coil 20-watt 75 Hz cone G12M. This 63-67 iteration is different and even more rare than the 67-71 25-watt sequel. This is where that BRONGGG comes from, so pair it up with the Silver Jubilee and get your mid gain blues rock on! Also on the site and in this vein as well as classic rock are the EV-L, H-PR-55, and M-PR-55.

- Announcement 2 -

When I came up with the mic choice, placement technique, outboard configuration, and mixes I did so with an assessment of my gear in mind and sought to create a sampling technique that would be as universally ideal for as much of it as possible. With 60+ 12-inch guitar speakers alone in the stable, the majority were geared toward mid-gain or jack-of-all-trades applications, with smaller portions devoted to low-gain and high-gain only. So creating something organic with depth and feel was important. I realize that some don't care about touch sensitivity, because their tone is too busy bashing peoples faces in. As one could assume from the name I chose for my company, I like that kind of music a lot too, so I took it upon myself to deviate from my primary methodology in V3 Mix to provide another turn-key solution to those who would fit in that bloody knuckle tone category. The "OH-Modern" commercial speaker option is now available for the Bogner, Diezel, Marshall, and Mesa cabs. As one could guess, it pairs exceptionally well with the "FAS Modern" amp model, and is what I used when building the sound. If asked to describe OH-Modern, I would say it has a very healthy low mid range, but at the same time for heavy rhythms sounds "closer" or less muddled than the primary V3 Mix configuration, and is my opinion of the ideal V30 for high gain double tracked guitars. Is it "better" than the other V30 type speakers with the primary sampling methodology? No, just different, but a great place to start for those that see all the V30 options as tires to kick rather than a pool to jump into. :lol

Now onto the questions I saw. If I missed anything, let me know, this thread has a lot of posts and with as much as I've been sampling it's been difficult to keep up. :)

Kevin, do you have any line of sight to vintage 1960A basketweave cabs? I like that type of tonality... It would be cool to hear your V3 rendering of something vintage.
+1
Factory Cab 38 4x12 1960A G12M (RW) — "Slant Marshall 1960 loaded with four 25-watt Celestion G12Ms, otherwise known as "Greenbacks"
Any plans to release these?
Thanks for continuing the excellence in quality Kevin, AMAZING!!!!!

As mentioned above in announcement #1, I now have the '66 20-watt up in the checkerboard cab. I have a line on the 25-watt'ers, though not a basketweave cab yet.

Hey Kevin,

A couple of questions about using your IRs for studio and live work. Do you recommend changing the cabinet block settings in the Axe from the defaults? I've read some threads with Metallica's tech and he speaks of doing a few things for the band live: i.e. high passing around 80, low pass around 15K, setting the mics to null and dialing in the proximity around 2 at 200hz, adding 18-22% of room, etc. Also read some tips from Cliff about using a Stereo Hi Res Cabinet, and delaying one side 0.06ms, using a FET I preamp in the cab block with some drive, etc.

Wondering if the IRs should be left alone in terms of tweaking for studio use? How about live? Any tips for us for studio and/or live for tweaking the cab block with your IRs? Are there any preamps in the Cab section of the Axe that you'd recommend using, and how you'd set them?

Also, in terms of mixing and matching, I took your advice about the Celestion Blues and EV-Ls. Sounds great! Would you ever advise to mix and match 2 cabs with the same speakers, i.e. Alnico Blues in the Bogner + Alnico Blues in the Sunn? Any tips for using Cab Lab to blend the 2 IRs? How do you set the relative volumes? Equal, or one louder than the other? How about blending more than 2 IRs?

Finally, which speaker would pair really well with the H-PR-55s for a modern but Jimmy Page influenced tone?

Thanks!

I'll be honest, most of my live application tips and formulas are a result of working with people who mostly do that kind of work. I'm a studio guy. However, in my personal experience, I vastly prefer using a 4th order low pass filter in the filter block to the less steep Hi-Cut option in the cab block. This also allows you to bump up the Q a little from default so that you don't lose quite as much information around your knee frequency.

I also don't use the cab block, I feel it appropriate to refrain from listing my reasons but I prefer routing straight out and loading IR's in the DAW.

With regard to mixing speakers, honestly, I know it seems like a cop-out but there's nothing that can be said that's more valuable than just experimenting with it. By no means am I a limitless encyclopedia of tone knowledge, that Alnico-Blue + EVM-12L combo came about because I had just made the files and was play testing them. When listening to them with the guitar I had in my hands and the patch I had set up, I felt like they might compliment each other and they ended up doing just that. Luck favors the prepared, so the more options you have at your disposal, while potentially daunting, the more likely you are to find the magic you may be seeking. :)

Page and Hendrix used the "H-PR-55" speaker primarily, it blends well with the other pre-Rola's for that kind of vibe.

1000xlikes...

Waaay cool Kevin! :)... vintage Marshall cab with my homie's! :ugeek... Been looking forward to this one. That Marshall box is a beast!... not just with speakers either but loaded with TRUCULENCE!!
I'll be sure to be by the store after work today to pick these up. Do you have an inclination of the speakers you'll be adding to this library? :)

I'll be adding every speaker I have to it, as I am able to, as is the case with all the other cabs I have. I will likely get swayed here and there, but I will try to do the most popular configurations first, save for a couple cabs in the beginning I may blast through all the speakers for just so they are out there in some form, and/or I can feel like I have "completed" that cab and can not have to drag it around and keep gutting it anymore. :p

So is the plan to make irs of every cab/speaker combination? Like for example, the sunn cab with black shadows, the engl with creambacks etc...

Exactly!

I'd really like to hear some Austin Speakerworks offerings pop up, and I'd equally be interested in hearing your opinion of them whether they are in your business plans or not. Also, after hearing Pete Thorn play the paper voice coil scumbacks, I've wanted to cram a few hundred watts through an IR of them where a fire extinguisher wouldn't need to be at the end of the signal chain LOL

I realize this isn't a "wish list" thread, but since you're here and gracious with your knowledge and opinions I couldn't resist.

All that being said, I'll be purchasing your ev-12L and scumback offerings in the bogner, diezel, and sunn cabs as soon as my free time is no longer consumed by V-day "festivities" =D

I know I will be doing one ASW speaker (KTS-70), doubtful I will do any others, but, you never know. Regarding the paper voice coil stuff, as per announcement #1 I currently have an original in the stable, and am blown away by it so my interest in this has definitely piqued! Hope your "festivities" went well. ;)

Cab differences. I've read I've listened to every comment. Been buying oh for years love all eras of high gain. Tend to like full spectrum tone lowed lows pretty high highs that I can tweak. I'd rather not be stifled before I tweak.

I would love if Kevin could explain why which cabs were chosen and theoretical differences. Then maybe take the most popular v30 and same everything just diff cabs and run through high gain sounds. [emoji8]I mean all this effort with very little explanation sound wise? I'd be highly willing to pick a cab and buy many speakers vs many cabs w same speakers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Somewhere on one of these pages I had a description of the cabs, and at some point I plan on formalizing textual descriptions of all the cabs, speakers, and mics as well as providing some technical data on the ownhammer.com/gear page. Once I also establish a solid and sizable foundation of libraries, I also am planning on doing a demo of all the cabs/speakers using the singular "Mix" IR, making a YouTube video of each permutation, and embedding that on each product page. That won't be "soon" though, right now my focus is on sampling, then will work more on presentation. Just a lot for one person to do, especially one working two jobs raising two kids near single handedly and just coming out of an ugly divorce. The last month I've been working 12-20 hours a day, 7 days a week, so at current giving it everything I've got (said with Scottish accent). :)

In the interim, grabbing the new OH-Modern as per announcement #2 for multiple cabs is a safe bet to get a feel for the cab, and won't be wasted as I feel all the cabs are usable, and this methodology using multiple speakers helps eliminate anything from being overly "something".

Hi Guitarjon, what about an ir for Robben Ford or Bonamassa kind of tone - I know Ford is using a Dumple amp with an old Marshall cab. I've got he V3 MAR with the v30 for Mesa Boogie wich is very good and pair with Bogner gc-12 or the SB-75. I would like another Speaker to go with the MAR_CB V3 but don't wan't to buy for the Moment all MAR-CB with everey speaker in it. Thanks Guitarjon - very kind of you :encouragement:

As per announcement #1, Bonamassa tone now available. :)

Alright guys, I am gonna pass the hell out now!!!!! :lol

I just love that tech these days is allowing us to preserve the amazing analog components like amps, cabs and speakers. One day soon we will not have the physical counterparts anymore, but due to hard work like Kevin, Cliff, "Clark" and many others, it can be enjoyed for years to come.

The cabinets are resonance chambers that alter the frequency response, phase relationship, and audible reflections. Most of the reason for the $5 price point of the V3 Mix Libraries is not that they are only worth that, I would feel justified selling them for 5 times that much (as is done elsewhere) given the quality and quantity of sounds available in each package, but that I expect people to endure some trial and error in finding what works for them. To this end, the same amount spent on V3 Mix libraries yields vastly more bang for the buck and diversity of possible tonalities. Textual descriptions, sound clips, and recommendations are for the most part generalizations that may be completely useless as they are the experience of person providing them which will differ in hands, guitars, amps, playback, application, and preference to anyone else. That said, briefly based on what is up now (or will be by tomorrow (Sunn)) in the commercial section:

Mesa cab is a very balanced, industry standard sound. Defined and middle of the road in the frequency spectrum. Recommended for pretty much anything, but is most used in hard rock and metal.

Engl cab has a comb filtered sound that people either love, or hate, not really a happy medium, but a unique and cool vibe. Mostly recommended for metal, but I know of some guys that love it as a cool Marshall rock alternative.

Diezel cab is like a less dull Marshall cab, a little saggy but crisp. Recommended for pretty much anything.

Bogner cab has a very woody, lively tonality to it. Recommended for pretty much anything.

Sunn cab has a much deeper internal distance to the back baffle, and has a lower resonance frequency (when you palm mute, you feel it further down in the bass region), and since it is front loaded, it is also up front and not muffled sounding in the midrange and high end. Djent paradise (think Veil of Maya's "The Common Man's Collapse" tone - Marc used an Emperor cab which is a replica of the vintage original Sunn 412S I have).

Hope this helps! :)

Bump. Here r your cab thoughts thanks! Examples as always will speak louder when available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There it is, thanks guys! :)

Side note, I know on the surface it may seem kinda bass-ackwards, but honestly in the OH-Modern my favorites for heavy stuff of the four I did are the Marshall and Bogner by a significant margin. That is to my ears, with my patch, guitars, preferences, etc. They just have the most character, gurgle, and blurp in the chugs. Man, that sounded idiotic... :lol Point being, just because everybody in the world has used a Mesa cab for the last decade, doesn't mean it is going to be the best cab or representation of the speaker for what you are doing. Options can be paralyzing, but they can also be enlightening and liberating. :)

I have a couple things I want to get out of the way this upcoming week, but I will try at some point to put together just something simple that runs through the cabs I can get OH-Modern into. Will likely pull up that Killswitch cover from several years ago (mine, not the RoS from the UM forum), I'm sure nobody's sick of listening to that... :shock

I'll be adding every speaker I have to it, as I am able to, as is the case with all the other cabs I have. I will likely get swayed here and there, but I will try to do the most popular configurations first,

Thanks Kevin!... let me try to, "sway you here and there" a bit. :) How 'bout that EDVH in the MAR CB next? :lol j/k :) I'll be keeping a close bead on the library(s) as speakers get ADHD... I mean ADD... I mean ADDED.:D:encouragement:

Last edited:
For you Brent? Done. I'll do the EDVH tomorrow first thing. Gonna snow here and my daughter's off school so I'll have both kids alone while trying to work both my jobs simultaneously so it may be the only thing I get done tomorrow, but you got it. :) After that I have a couple other things I wanted to try get out of the way for this week though. ;)

Ahhh... I smell something cooking... television dinners. Kevin, you take care of what got to take care of first. It'll get done soon enough. You do that and people will be PM-ing you to try and, "sway you here and there" as well. The Bogner absolutely slays! It'll hold me over quite handily. It's a keeper. :)

No worries man, you and I both know I owe you more than that!

Doesn't hurt that earlier though I was curious so I went into the store to see what showed up in the Best Sellers sidebox and the EDVH showed up there for the Bogner and Mesa cabinets... So, yeah, doing it for both of us I guess. :lol Outside of that, yes, I do actually have a pretty strict agenda this week for multiple cabs/speakers. Gotta try to get some of those 8-ohm'ers in that Bogner, especially the V30's, and knock some of these 4x12's out so I can start on some 1x12's and 4x10's. :)

And yeah, a few years ago I had to disable my PM's on all the forums, I felt bad because I didn't know I had been getting them from folks and didn't reply to them for months...

Thanks Kevin, I've downloaded another 2 MAR-CB cabs - it's the M-PR20-75 for Bonamassa alike tone and to compare with the Bogner which I've downloaded last WE the EV-L with MAR-CB. Tomorrow I'm in the rehearsal studio and give it a loud go. To it's gonna be only bedroom level - I look forward to it.:encouragement:

Tony

Can anyone comment on the qualities of the marshall cab relative to the bogner? I play mostly mid gain stuff, lots of jimmy page inspired guitar playing so the pr-55 speaker is currently a favorite, though have only tried it in the bogner. Thinking of getting it in the marshall and sunn too, along with celeation Blues and EV-Ls.

Also, as Kevin mentioned he runs the IRs in his DAW. What is the best program to host IRs in the DAW that will get me zero latency while tracking? I was thinking Nebula 3 would be ideal but there is probably latency, no? I think this would be a cool way to work while tracking so I can audition different cabinets in the mix. I also assume it would allow us to get even higher quality as the wav files wouldn't be truncated like the Ultra Res are. So Ultra-Res for live, and DAW solution for studio? Any suggestions on which programs?

Last edited:
Hey Kevin, are you able to tell us more about what the OH-Modern actually is or is that one of your trade secrets? [emoji14]

Also, any chance of including some e609/906 mics in the near future?

Back
Top Bottom