OwnHammer V3 Mix Libraries Now Available!

I've picked up a couple v3 packs, cool stuff! The creamback/mesa cab is pretty cool!

How does the mesa v30/mesa cab v3 pack compare to the HGE mesa v30/mesa cab pack? I'm still using the HGE for my main v30 sound, just wondering if the v3 Mesa v30/Mesa cab is worth picking up or if I would just be duplicating what I already have.

It sounds a lot better to me, especially the Raw mixes.
It has more body and warmth.
Now you even have 8 types of V30's to choose from.
Listen to them all here:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...oundclip-comparison-ownhammer-v3-mix-irs.html

Hey Kevin,

I was just curious if the cabinet/speaker used for one of the factory IR's (4x12 Mar-CB V30-Ch Mix (OH) ) is the same one that you gave out for the V3 series as a demo. That factory IR is such a go to IR for me, and I'm loving that demo's Marshall cabinet. Thanks!

I've picked up a couple v3 packs, cool stuff! The creamback/mesa cab is pretty cool!

How does the mesa v30/mesa cab v3 pack compare to the HGE mesa v30/mesa cab pack? I'm still using the HGE for my main v30 sound, just wondering if the v3 Mesa v30/Mesa cab is worth picking up or if I would just be duplicating what I already have.

Significant improvement in my opinion, same withe the beta testers. No duplication in anything done (mic placement, signal chain, different 57, etc) for the HGE stuff with V3.

Hey Kevin,

I was just curious if the cabinet/speaker used for one of the factory IR's (4x12 Mar-CB V30-Ch Mix (OH) ) is the same one that you gave out for the V3 series as a demo. That factory IR is such a go to IR for me, and I'm loving that demo's Marshall cabinet. Thanks!

Different on both the cab and the speaker, actually. The one in the V3 freebie is a modern production 1960B with the "V30-EN-16" speaker, the one you referenced is a 70's 1960B with the "V30-CH-16" speaker.

I'll be starting on my 70's 1960B soon, likely beginning of next week. :)

Significant improvement in my opinion, same withe the beta testers. No duplication in anything done (mic placement, signal chain, different 57, etc) for the HGE stuff with V3.

Different on both the cab and the speaker, actually. The one in the V3 freebie is a modern production 1960B with the "V30-EN-16" speaker, the one you referenced is a 70's 1960B with the "V30-CH-16" speaker.

I'll be starting on my 70's 1960B soon, likely beginning of next week. :)

Rad!! Thanks for the info. I'll be picking up a few of those too!

It sounds a lot better to me, especially the Raw mixes.
It has more body and warmth.
Now you even have 8 types of V30's to choose from.
Listen to them all here:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...oundclip-comparison-ownhammer-v3-mix-irs.html

I guess I should have expected this answer, haha. Really surprised just how different all the speaker sound, to be honest. I think I prefer the "V30-EN-08 based on a 2001 8-ohm Celestion T4335 Vintage 30, made in England to Mesa specifications"

You sir, just made $5!

or £3 and some change.

edit - is V30-EN-08 the same speaker from the HGE pack? I notice that Guitarjon's list notes it is 'made to mesa specifications' where the page for this cab/speaker combo doesn't mention Mesa, just says its a 2001 English-made V30.

edit 2 - it must be, it sounds extremely similar to my HGE EN-V30-Mesa cab, only cleaner/clearer sounding.

edit 3 - what the hell man, every mix sounds great. I don't know what to do, my user cab are gonna look so stupid, 99% V30's :lol. I guess I'll have to load them all, and then slowly whittle down the list. Now I kind of hope CK's Bogner pack takes a while to come out, or I hate it or something.

Last edited:
Yes, the V30-EN-08 is the same speaker as V30-EN from the HGE's. There was an initial name change with the V3's the first week, so some of what may be floating around may be a little bit altered. Apologies for that!

You think it's bad now, the V30 madness has only just begun. In the next couple weeks I'll have 6 more different kinds in the Bogner, then 8 in the 70's Marshall, then 8 in the Mills, Krank, Diezel, Engl, Sunn, SLM, maybe the 2000's Marshall, and anything else I may procure later. Gonna be a V30 'splosion over the next couple of years, that and damn near every other speaker out there. :lol

Glad you're digging them! :)

Kevin I like the V3 approach in your web store. Very easy to understand the simple speaker / cab pairings vs. previous approaches.

Glad to hear it! And to think it only took 4.5 years... :lol As an aside, the V3 Mix stuff is an improvement in every aspect. The people around me have commented that I'm not as grumpy as I usually am. V3 Mix isn't as torturous on me either. :)

So Kevin here's a question;

The older HGE packs came with Tube poweramp options (5881 or EL34) as well as a Solidstate poweramp version of everything. I notice these V3 mixes are shot with a 'neutral tube poweramp' only. How does this compare to other past options? Is it kind of a blend between FRFR/Solidstate and the tube amp options?

I preferred the SLST mixes on the HGE packs as I felt the EL34 and 5881 ones were a bit scooped and boomy for use with poweramp sims on the Axe FX (though they would probably have been ideal if I still recorded with VST's or a POD). However, the V3 mixes don't have that same scooped and boomy sound so I assume they're not with the same poweramp as the HGE mixes. That being said, they do seem to have noticeably more low end resonance and 'thickness' than the SLST mixes.

Also, do you have any plans to do that 'subtract the poweramp' thing that CK does, and that you can now do when shooting IR's with the Axe FX?

Take a break from all the 4x12s and do that 112!! Lol ��

Once I exhaust all 60 or so of the speakers in the Bogner 4x12 the 112 Deluxe is making it into alternating rotation. :)

I saw the Torpedo Studio Demo from Steve Stevens today. I think he uses your IRs :)

Yup, Steve is an amazing guy, I'm looking forward to doing the stuff he uses in V3 format and seeing how it suits him!

I tried today as Kevin recomendet the combonation of the Mar V30 and the BOG M-SB-75 with the 100 W Plexi with the fat-switch on and it soundet fantastic creamy and smooth....:eagerness:

https://soundcloud.com/tony-sch-fer/cover-of-the-breeze

Creamy and smooth indeed! Nice!

So Kevin here's a question;

The older HGE packs came with Tube poweramp options (5881 or EL34) as well as a Solidstate poweramp version of everything. I notice these V3 mixes are shot with a 'neutral tube poweramp' only. How does this compare to other past options? Is it kind of a blend between FRFR/Solidstate and the tube amp options?

I guess one could say that's somewhat the sonic result, sure. I consider this element of my chain to be one of my secret weapons, which is why I don't detail much about it anywhere.

I preferred the SLST mixes on the HGE packs as I felt the EL34 and 5881 ones were a bit scooped and boomy for use with poweramp sims on the Axe FX (though they would probably have been ideal if I still recorded with VST's or a POD). However, the V3 mixes don't have that same scooped and boomy sound so I assume they're not with the same poweramp as the HGE mixes. That being said, they do seem to have noticeably more low end resonance and 'thickness' than the SLST mixes.

The tube power amp used is not what was done in the Essentials or Studio Mix libraries. It is vastly more similar to the SLST amp, but it does have some of the telltale tube nuances. In this way it's not perfectly flat, but I do not care, nor have I ever cared, about "simulation" in the strictest sense. I only care about what it sounds like, and I really love the way this amp sounds. :)

Also, do you have any plans to do that 'subtract the poweramp' thing that CK does, and that you can now do when shooting IR's with the Axe FX?

No. I have contributed anonymously to this topic in recent times and I feel that for someone in my position, this technique is more detrimental than beneficial. Before somebody takes that as me picking a fight (this damn internet...), I will clarify that I do not state that it is my opinion that is the way it is for everybody, not by a long shot, my opinion is just in reference to me and how I'm creating these files as well as what I like in the sound and want to provide to people. I've done the tests, I've taken the measurements, I've listened to the results, so it's not my stance based on theory alone. I'll not be providing any "reference IR's", don't need or want them with my process. As mentioned above, I am not concerned with strict simulation or neutrality in the absolute least. I like color, and that's my angle on this, and am happy that others provide the other options so they are there for people too. Options are great to have!

Last edited:
Just giving you a hard time, Kevin....although I do look forward to the 112! Hope you still have that Alnico Silver lying around.

No. I have contributed anonymously to this topic in recent times and I feel that for someone in my position, this technique is more detrimental than beneficial. Before somebody takes that as me picking a fight (this damn internet...), I will clarify that I do not state that it is my opinion that is the way it is for everybody, not by a long shot, my opinion is just in reference to me and how I'm creating these files as well as what I like in the sound and want to provide to people. I've done the tests, I've taken the measurements, I've listened to the results, so it's not my stance based on theory alone. I'll not be providing any "reference IR's", don't need or want them with my process. As mentioned above, I am not concerned with strict simulation or neutrality in the absolute least. I like color, and that's my angle on this, and am happy that others provide the other options so they are there for people too. Options are great to have!

Cool to hear your insight on the matter. And cheers for the insights into how everything is shot, and how it compares to legacy products!

Just giving you a hard time, Kevin....although I do look forward to the 112! Hope you still have that Alnico Silver lying around. ��

All good man! Honestly I am foaming at the mouth to start working on the 1x12's and 4x10's. Have some cool stuff planned there, can't wait to see how it all turns out! :)

Yeah, the Alnico Silver is still around, not getting rid of any of these speakers any time soon!

I definitely agree 100% with Kevin on this. OwnHammer is known for "the OwnHammer sound" and using the gear the way he uses it is a big part of his unique tone. I'd like to think that I have a "sound" also but obviously since there's only one pack out at the moment it's hard to label. However my OCD-esque approach to remove power amp and preamp color and alloys etc. are exactly what hopefully will some day be known as "The CK sound". Some people have called my methods IR evolution. Obviously it's what I'm going for but in reality it's just a different way of doing things.

Back
Top Bottom