Ownhammer: Unfamiliar with their mics - info?

smilefan

Experienced
Ownhammer uses a selection of mics I am unfamiliar with (other than SM57).
Can anyone give me the Reader's Digest breakdown of these mic's character's?

Cascade Fathead
Heil PR-30
Mojave MA-200
Sennheiser e906 & MD421

FWIW, I've spent the last 3 weeks going hard on rebuilding the entire website, which will go live tomorrow, and in one of the pages I've been writing over the last two days, I'll have brief tonal descriptions of all mics, cabs, and speakers for those who may not be familiar with any of the particular pieces. There's quite a bit to it, and I literally have about a dozen simultaneous OwnHammer related development projects going on right now, so I don't know that I'll finish it in the next week or so. Being brief to provide some quick info:

FatHead - It's fat, big low end, and where I have it placed also brings out a little bit of chime for it being a ribbon if you have the right pickup/amp/cab/speaker.
Heil PR-30 - Very little on the bottom, highly pushed in the upper mids.
MA-200 - Very balanced and even.
e906 - More even than a 57, with bigger lows and a tiny little spike towards the upper upper mids / lower highs.
MD421 - Extended bottom and top, and of all the mics has a tendency to react differently on different cabs / speakers. Cabs / speakers where the high end is more accented it will end up pretty bright; cabs / speakers where the low end is thick and full it will allow that to override much of the highs.

The rest of the guys here may want to chime in with their opinions and practical applications of these for use with the various Axe amps and their experiences/patches though! :)

Last edited:
Saw the website, makes more sense now.
PS: When I go to Store, the top menu disappears.

Great to get new MixnMatch packages, would free up IR slots for me!

Last edited:
PS: When I go to Store, the top menu disappears.

For the last 45 minutes I've been wrestling with why the Store section was completely out of whack between what I had in my dev environment and what happened when I just went live, but now I have it fixed. :) I still have a lot of ground to cover in filling out the info pages, but none of those products will be available for a long time anyway. I have hidden everything else on the site that currently holds no content, but I want to leave those up just to hopefully whet appetites for when I do get those items up in the Store.

TC30 and Mix-n-Match updates will all start once I get the next library out, which will be the SLM H75, and development will begin on Sunday. I'm hoping over the next 2 months I can get everything caught up and updated, then can start cranking out new libraries again!

Last edited:
TC30!! Cool. I love this mic. Enables me to essentially get a mic bypass
with my tube amp/guitar cab setup. Really maxes my clarity. Love the
mix-n-match mic settings. H75, yes! I love the M75-loaded cab. Probably
your best IR's to date.

Back
Top Bottom