OwnHammer Speaker Cabinets Public Beta (free stuff inside)

It sort of is. If you use 9.00 as your Master Volume setting; you are wide-open on the Master Volume. Any setting above 9.00 (ie. 9.50 or 10.00) is the "Jose" mod by degree. Stay at 9.00 or below and you are not using the 'mod'.

The Jose Mod has nothing to do with the setting of the MV and setting MV greater than 9.0 does not equal "Jose Mod". If anything, setting the MV lower is equivalent to a Jose-style tone stack.

I like the v2 beta IR's so much it's got me wanting to try out some of the v1 cabs. For those of you with experience with the v1 cabs, what can I expect in terms of differences in tone/feel between v1 and v2?

I am so stoked about the V2 stuff I don't even want to try the V1 stuff, even though I am entitled to download it. I'm sticking with V2 and will patiently await the releases as they come.

Kevin, that Steve Stevens endorsement is just awesome man! Hard innovative work paying off and I couldn't agree with Steve more on the assessment as your stuff truly rocks.

Thanks for the 'grats, guys. :)

Random update on the first library.

The file count is pretty much set and is as follows:

*Near Field Captures*

4 Voicings x 9 Positions per Voicing x 4 Modes per Position = 144 captures per microphone.

Mics:
- 2011c
- AE2500
- e906
- FatHead
- MA200
- MD421
- PR30
- R92
- R121
- SM7B
- SM57
- SM57-U3
- TC30

*Auxiliary Captures*

9 Positions x 4 Modes per Position = 36 captures per category.

Categories:
- Back of Cab
- Far Field
- Floor
- Hallway
- Room

All of the Aux IR's will be done a little differently than before as well.

So that's 1872 unique Near Field and 180 unique Auxiliary IR's for a total of 2052 unique capture files per NEB/WAV library.

FWIW the PRO series is going to be 2780, and I haven't worked out the MMS stuff yet but it will change from before as well.

Due to the feeding frenzy of attention this has drawn (which has been absolutely wonderful and pretty exhausting all at the same time), I'm also going to do something kind of strange for the first release. I'll never do it again, and it's just a measure to try to decrease the frustration and anxiety of getting the first library out for myself and for everybody else. Next Friday I will take what I have done of the WAV library and I will post it to the site in a hidden container. What this means is the product ID will be active, but the category it's in will not, so it won't show up in the menu system, but if you have the URL (which I will post in this thread) you'll be able to get to the page and buy it. Doing a search (right side under the header) on the site for the product name (or any part of it) will also turn up the page (so you don't have to dig through here to find it). To this end, the license transfer store product is just like this. Each Friday following I will update what I have completed through to the final release. I'm not going to email out when I upload the new file, the way to tell will be to visit the product page in the store and at the bottom, I'll list the percentage complete of the library as a whole and when it was last updated. I'm not going to take requests on what mics to do first (it will be whatever is easiest for me to do given what I have on my plate for that day, some mics are more of a PITA than others), nor will I guarantee a minimum completion each week, so it is what it is - access to the first V2 WAV library as I'm making it.

Sound like fun?

Very cool! Thanks for the update. So those of us who purchased the kick starter will be able to add these to our Q?

:razz Vega I'm sure you recall the modern, vintage, bold and classic voicing discussions held somewhere along the track. You were a part of them

:razz Vega I'm sure you recall the modern, vintage, bold and classic voicing discussions held somewhere along the track. You were a part of them
"bold" and "classic"... can't say I've heard of those. maybe it just slipped my mind :) . I recall discussing "neutral" though...mmmhh. thanks for making me all confused now, haha !

Kevin, can you tell us what the four different Voicings represent ?

Certainly.

Balanced (formerly Bold, I changed some things)
Classic
Modern
Vintage

First and foremost, the difference in the voicings can be subtle depending on your playback system, what you're putting through them, and your ears. I've tried to make them all discernibly different for convolution reverb and sysex where non-linearities are not translated, but there is a quick limit to what can be done before things start to sound unnatural. To this end they are tastefully unique, but I don't suspect most will find the variation from one to another to be night and day like how the modes are.

Each voicing is differentiated by 4 primary factors in capture (in no particular order):
- The mic preamp.
- The EQ and presets.
- The placement of the cab in the room.
- The amount of absorption treatment in the room and how it is placed. In addition to the wall treatment which I leave up at all times, I have seven home made floor standing 3' x 4' gobos that I do various and sometimes strange/cool things with.

Most of these elements alone are extremely subtle, but combined they add up to make the difference. A brief description of each voicing option:

Balanced:
The sound is very even, no excessive peaks nor valleys in the frequency response by comparison to the other voicings. The sound is somewhat forward, but not the least bit in a harsh way. It is highly detailed (fast and clear) but still smooth (pleasing transformer saturation). The mic pre is the A Designs Pacifica, the EQ is the API 550a. I think this would fit any style, for any sound, and is the best all arounder and most natural sounding of the bunch. The clarity and its ability to sit slightly above things at the same relative volume level would also make it excellent for solos/leads.

Classic:
More of a crunchy and mid forward sound, will probably be choice for British rock and Marshall tones. Mic pre and EQ are the BAE 1073D.

Modern:
Heavy and punchy with emphasis on low end thump and upper mid sizzle. Very chunky with detuned guitars, and palm mutes chug like a mofo. First call for heavies, in my opinion. Mic pre and EQ are the Great River MEQ-1NV channel strip.

Vintage:
Soft and squishy with a natural sounding low mid bump that isn't boomy or murky. Not as articulate as the others but in an endearing way. I'd go this route for sounds I didn't want to be so in your face. The mic pre and EQ are the Chandler TG Channel.

I'm not going to comment on the exact EQ settings used nor the way the cab and the room are set up, I need to keep those things close to the chest for competitive reasons.

All these descriptions are how they sound to me with my source tracks, monitors, and ears; as the saying goes 'your mileage may vary'.

Very cool! Thanks for the update. So those of us who purchased the kick starter will be able to add these to our Q?

You sure can!

Is there an estimated ETA on the full release of the first library and possibly the second?

Can't really say for sure just yet.

Last edited:
thanks so much for the detailed update, Kevin !
one more question... is the Modern voicing still similar/same to the betas (IIRC that's the voicing being used there, right ?) or have you tweaked it further ?

Back
Top Bottom