OwnHammer Room and Far Field IR's

Have a couple seconds to spare, here goes!

...Being an Ultra user, your new releases are my firmware updates! ;-)

Glad to know that some don't find them annoying! You'll have lots of 'firmware' updates to look forward to this year for sure. :)

I REALLY like the sound of the combination of front & back mics!

Thanks! Even though I think the Far Fields are going to get the most preliminary attention, I feel that these are of significant importance to adding in cabinet resonance, and not just for modern progressive metal chugging. I spent an entire full week on this section alone for just the R&D portion and am quite happy with the results, hopefully everybody will find them as useful as I do!

...I've got a major patch restructure ahead for my cover band, KTO, I'm hoping to make these a part of it.

Definitely, LOTS of goodies are coming with this new overhaul of the inclusions. If I have things bounced down by then, I'll show you some stuff before we hit the Symphony X show this week. :twisted

That'll teach me to glance through threads!

Not your fault at all. Typically I keep all this behind the scenes stuff to myself until it's out, I've just been overly excited about all these new additions and bursting at the seams to say something about it. I am to blame for this. :?

Speaking of saying something about it, I've finalized what I'll be doing for this update (and all that will follow in its footsteps this year for previous libraries), and here's a surface overview:

- Adding AE2500 and R92 mics. These were once the ingredients to the Secret Stash, and I've reestablished their placements for their use separated.

- Adding Fat versions of each microphone. Previous to this I had a certain mix recipe of a couple of captures with varying post processing that I would mix in with the regular captures to make them "Fat". That only incorporated a couple of mics in that mix in element, but now I'm taking that concept, refining it, and making a Fat position of every mic. Again, this new Fat version is not a Fat version of a specific position like before, this is similar to what I would use to mix in with the standard positions to make them Fat. Now you have control over what mic to use for blending, how much of it to use, or if you want to use it alone.

- Adding Auxiliary subdirectory that has Back-of-Cab, Far-Field-C, Far-Field-D, Floor-D, Floor-L, and Room mics, all with 5 positions each.

- Removing Fat1, Fat2, Mix-n-Match, & Secret-Stash items. Fat1 and Fat2 versions are leaving as the new Fat presentation is much more flexible. Mix-n-Match is leaving as with the new inclusions it is out-dated, without being gargantuan in size feels unfulfilled by the current offerings, and overall gives a "where will it end" feeling. Mixing things in the cab blocks, in standalone mixing utilities, or your DAW is more efficient and I think with the new inclusions there will be more discussion on mix recipes that go far and beyond basic near field only mixes.

Just a few moments ago I finished the first revision of the information manual, which you can find here if you're curious:

http://www.ownhammer.com/support/docs/Speaker-Cabinets_WAV.pdf

I will be adding to it in the future, but for now it certainly covers the bases. I don't have the docs section linked yet in the site header pull downs because so far nothing currently available in the store meets this inclusion set. Once the libraries are updated, I'll link it in the Support menu. Only including it here now for those that are actively following all of this madness. :D I'll probably temporarily block out the FAQ for a short time when the updates come out, after I drop all of this there will be a lot of old, useless, or conflicting info and that section will definitely need a revamping...

With all the things I forgot I had going on this upcoming week because of all that went on this past week it's going to be a bear getting this done by next weekend, but rest assured I won't be getting any rest this week to try to meet that deadline. :lol

Last edited:
Mr. OH,

Hope you are feeling better!

I don't mean to be a dummy, but I don't find the OH site the clearest thing in the world. I'm intensely curious about your FF IRs.
I'm also not a speaker cabinet tweaker. I don't have the time to build my own - that's what I'm hoping to pay for! : )

With that said - what is the best thing for an AF2 owner to buy if he wants your IRs? I don't need lots of other formats or tools for them.
Is there anything special to buying the FFs or are they included in bundles?

Thanks!!

Paul

Thanks! Almost out of the woods for now. :)

The FF IR's will be a part of the WAV packages which are the typical buy for people who use the Axe-Fx's live, or in recording to the DAW without wanting to jump into Nebula. If you're a Nebula user, I also include the truncated .wav and .syx files in the NEB libraries as well. At the current time I don't have the Auxiliary captures in any of the packages, but I'm looking to do so starting in the next week or so. It will be a long process that will probably take the rest of the year to update the previous libraries, however all new libraries will also have this full inclusion set.

The WAV packages can be found:

http://www.ownhammer.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=104_12

And overall, the speaker cabinet stuff is in the Products menu at the top of every page. When you click on speaker cabinets, there is a categorical menu system that populates on the left ala NewEgg, BestBuy, etc.

If you need any more info, definitely hit me up via email, it's easier/quicker for me to respond and typically can get a little more in depth or personal if necessary:

OwnHammer.com - Contact Us

Hope this helps! :)

Last edited:
These farfields are a game changer. Now those who missed the amp in the room sound should be satisfied.

I'm mixing C-2 and D-1 in a parallel cabinet to my normal V30 and basketweave RW, giving me 4 cabinets in all.

I haven't dug through them all yet, but I have say the ones I've tried sound great and I recommend you purchase to hear for yourself.

These new cabs are AWESOME. So many possibilities with the mix/match. I think I use your Bogner V31s on just about every one of my presets now.

Thanks again man - great stuff! (Anyone else on the fence, BUY THESE. THEY ARE FANTASTIC.)

Gerat stuff! Love the openness of your cabs. Would love to see some more MMS style sets. Just cool to have some nice premixed options at the ready that I can drop in and be up and running quickly. Hope you do more MMS sets in the future.

Thanks guys! VERY happy to hear that you're liking them so far and that they have translated well to your playback systems and tone preferences! Can't wait to get these inclusions deployed to all the previous libraries and start making more headway on new offerings. :)

More MMS are certainly on the way. Typically with every new NEB/WAV release or re-release such as this there should also be a coinciding MMS library. The only reason I didn't get the 412-GTR Bogner V31 MMS out this past Friday was that I wasn't finished with it yet didn't want to delay the NEB/WAV update any longer than I already had. I'll have this Bogner V31 MMS counterpart launched very soon!

I'm dying to try the new far fields but I have a bad cold tonight and my guitar sounds like it's buried six feet down in a cave that has a blanket over it. But that just gives me something to look forward to for the weekend. Maybe they'll be even more new stuff released by then :)

I had that (or similar) recently and it wasn't fun, hope you kick it soon! :)

Unless something comes up/gets in my way, I should have the 412-GTR Bogner V31 MMS out by then, then soon after in the coming weeks the 412-GTR Mesa V32 re-release with all these new gizmos and gadgets, then a 1972 Fender Vibro Champ which I'm REALLY anxious to get out and about. You know what? I'm feeling saucy. Here's an early sneak peek at the vintage Fender:

The first half is the current (i.e. not yet updated) 112-GTR Thiele BLU for reference, the second half is the upcoming 108-GTR Vibro F59. As it states in the comments on the file page, this is the MA200 position 3 with no other mix-in's, beta version for the Fender IR (haven't done all my tweak tests yet). The library will be out some time in April, hopefully early April. :D

So let me see if I understand all this... Far Field IRs are basically IRs taken from room microphones that can be paired with standard close-miked IRs to get a more in the room feel to FRFR setups?

If so, that sounds great and I'm interested.

Also, since this is an OwnHammer discussion, I saw Scott mention elsewhere that the stock OH cabinets in the Axe FX II might possibly be including mic simulations, not done with something like the Earthworks TC30. Is that correct ? I've always found the stock OH cabinets too shrill, but after seeing Scott's comment, realized they sound so much better without the Axe FX mic selected, and now the OH Mesa Rectifier cab has taken it's place on a handful of patches.

I picked up the new Bogner V31 as soon as the update was out. I was initially going to wait for the MMS version, but after I read that it wouldn't include the Far Field cabs I couldn't do other than get the WAV.

I love the IRs, particularly when combining a FF with a NF one. Definitely the best sound I've gotten out of the Axe FX 2 so far! I bought the Mesa V32 MMS package a little while ago, but wish I had bought the WAV pack, for the upcoming FF IRs that will soon include. Oh well, guess I will just have to have both :)

So let me see if I understand all this... Far Field IRs are basically IRs taken from room microphones that can be paired with standard close-miked IRs to get a more in the room feel to FRFR setups?

Yes. Some would argue that conceptually they should be used on their own to simulate the 'in the room' sound, but I think that practically (and is the approach I took when tuning how I wanted them to sound) they should be used in conjunction with near fields.

Also, since this is an OwnHammer discussion, I saw Scott mention elsewhere that the stock OH cabinets in the Axe FX II might possibly be including mic simulations, not done with something like the Earthworks TC30. Is that correct ? I've always found the stock OH cabinets too shrill, but after seeing Scott's comment, realized they sound so much better without the Axe FX mic selected, and now the OH Mesa Rectifier cab has taken it's place on a handful of patches.

While I am not at liberty to confirm, deny, or detail what is in use, I will concede that these observations are sound, and that you should leave mic sims off when using the stock OH offerings.

---

Sorry for teasing, I promise not to do it too much in the future... :twisted

I would point out that 'in the room' is a confusing way to describe FFs. There is no room sound included in a FF IR; it contains the sound of the speaker from (what is for most of us) a more typical listening distance as compared with close-miked captures. But that is what most people describe as in the room, so there it is.

I've got my eye on the gym at my son's school as a good place to do some captures; it has a hard floor and enough room that I can set up over 30 feet from the nearest reflecting surface. If I can just convince him to do his science project on FF IRs I'm in...

Back
Top Bottom