OwnHammer: New IR's (test) "Detroit Rock City"

swass

Power User
When the public betas came out I did a very quick sound clip of this song. Giving away my age here... So I finally got some time to, "frig" with these IR's some more and do a relatively quick redoing and messing with the guitar harmonies but trying to keep the same melody. Couldn't change the main idea of the melody in the guitar harmonies since it an integral and memorable part of the song... pushed the boundaries nonetheless... :roll

Left side rhythm guitar is the, G12M-20. The right rhythm and all harmonies is the G12-65. I used my '73 Strat and the JCM 800 amp model. No post other than eq for the 3 part harmonies and backing track. I found it tough to make 3 part sit well within the backing track and the limited play you have to work with it. Especially when the snare is panned pretty hard right (if anyone has tips for working with that...):D

There are some flubs I know... Comments and constructive criticism(s) welcome. I'm still learning this daw too! Maybe I'm too old for this platform. lol...

All I can say, "Kevin... these new IR's... since I started using them, I've had to start wearing depends :eek:ops

http://www.tonefinder.com/files/991350952587-Detroit%20Rock%20City1-004.mp3

Last edited:
Takes me back >30 years. Goosebumps all over ;)

It would be way better if you add the explosions though ;)

Takes me back >30 years. Goosebumps all over ;)

It would be way better if you add the explosions though ;)

lol... I was also thinking of adding the pick drag in from "Alive II" as well. IMHO, I think, "Destroyer" was their best album. I still marvel at the production of that record, considering it's from 1976.

Last edited:
Yeah, it was my first one of them and I played it endlessly.

The only band I've been way fanatic about.
If a mag had one small pic, I had to have it :mrgreen
Still have all of that, hoping for Gene to buy it in 10 years or so ;)

I was very proud to be able to get the USA version in a small import shop at the time.
It had an awesome booklet full of pics we don't normally get :D
And I always heard your tracks are spaced wider and sound is better from US records.

Many magical moments. It took me 30 years to realize they were shouting "the hottest band in the world"...?
As a kid I thought it was the "hardest band in the world", as "hard rock" was a new term and experience for me after being an ABBA fan :mrgreen

I believe it actually started by seeing ALIVE I in the record shop. As a kid you have to wonder, looking at that :)
Then somehow I got a cassette or record of ALIVE II and the rest is history.

Anyway... Back to my Cold Gin :p

I'm totally there with you brother. I know exactly where you're coming from. Kiss Meets the Phantom, appearance on Paul Lynde's Halloween Special (which until as of late saw that it was lipped synced), the comic book... YUP! The whole nine yards.

Just as a foot note of being akin... I secretly loved, "Dancing Queen" when I was kid... Not one of my finer moments... still. :oops:roll

Last edited:
I don't mind the better work of ABBA at all, esp. Dancing Queen :p
And Agnetha was great to have one of my first crushes on. I even saw them live around the corner here in our run-of-the-mill basketball hall. Amazing really...My next crush was Olivia Newton-John :D

Then came Queen (a bit of Status Quo) and afterwards Kiss (I'm seeing a pattern of guys with bared chests here :eek:ops)

Those were the days, with the first records of Van Halen, Def Leppard, ... coming out.

My mum once had to take me in the middle of the night for the Kiss movie airing in some backstreet theatre once or twice :D
Boy, the excitement when they started coming on TV with "I was made for loving you" :eek:

When did you get enough of them?
I lost interest after the Unmasked album.

Anything good after that?

As with you. I lost interest after "Unmasked". Maybe my loss of interest initiated with "Dynasty". Right around the time I discovered and was getting into Boston, Rush, Ted Nugent, and of course VH. Nonetheless, aside form Deep Purple, Kiss was probably the biggest reason I started guitar. Van Halen's first album just put the desire to play really over the top. Aside from that, Kiss, (IMO) did nothing for me to really desire to re-engage following them like I did once upon a time.

Yeah, my Mom took my brother and I to see them in '78 (Love Gun tour). And my step-father (who hated Kiss with some passion) agreed to and said, "he'd pay for the tickets (at a "whopping" $14.00 each) if we got no cavities next trip to the dentist"... rock n roll won again.:D

and said, "he'd pay for the tickets (at a "whopping" $14.00 each)
I found it whopping too. When I went to the ABBA concert, some woman was offering someone that came back out about the same amount for her still intact ticket to get in. As an 11-year old, I nearly fell over :D And that seemed just like her first offer (but she got it).

Wish they played the dentist trick with me, not my strongest point :mrgreen

I saw them once in the early days (when they just had Eric Carr) and once around 2000. 2nd time took a lot of magic off. I had growns ears by then :D (and bad venue)

^^I was turned onto "Gimme, Gimme, Gimme" redone by Yngwie sometime back. He actually did a good job with it considering. Vocals are amazing. Mark Boals did a great job as usual. Check it out on YouTube if you haven't yet.

Yngwie Malmsteen : Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (ABBA) - YouTube

DAMN!... I just realized something tonight. I use low output pickups and I just realized that my "instrument input" level was set to 50% when I recorded this. I used a full sized humbucker in a partocaster sometime back and neglected to change the levels back. Huh... been like that for a few weeks. I was wondering why things didn't quite sound the same.

Last edited:
Ok I just finished walking down memory lane in the "Gigs from hell" thread and now this! :) Feeling all nostalgic now. My first concert was Kiss Alive II tour. Remember the $7.50 concerts?!?

image.jpg

By chance... have you ever been to a rock concert before?? lol... Dang that's a lot of stubbed memorabilia!

Haha... The funny thing is I haven't been to a big arena show in 20+ years. Just a few smaller venu shows like Eric Johnson or Kings X. Back then the concerts were my YouTube. Just about everything was general admission and I'd get front row standing in front of the guitar player. There were always parts, no matter how small, that I either couldn't pick out from the album (remember those days?) or wasn't sure if I was doing exactly right. So I'd wait and watch. Eddie usually pissed me off because he umm "improvised" so much. :) Each show was as good as a private lesson to me.

You may not have been to a big arena show lately, but I know you never miss the Village People when they come through.

Haha... The funny thing is I haven't been to a big arena show in 20+ years. Just a few smaller venu shows like Eric Johnson or Kings X. Back then the concerts were my YouTube. Just about everything was general admission and I'd get front row standing in front of the guitar player. There were always parts, no matter how small, that I either couldn't pick out from the album (remember those days?) or wasn't sure if I was doing exactly right. So I'd wait and watch. Eddie usually pissed me off because he umm "improvised" so much. :) Each show was as good as a private lesson to me.

To the OP: You will be immediately drummed out of the KISS Army for recording a KISS song with a Strat. Remember, KISS uses Gibson Guitars and Pearl Drums because they want the best!

To the OP: You will be immediately drummed out of the KISS Army for recording a KISS song with a Strat. Remember, KISS uses Gibson Guitars and Pearl Drums because they want the best!

That's alright. I figure I was already getting the boot with the confession of liking ABBA's, "Dancing Queen"... but that had to do with having a crush on a girl in grade 5... long story... so you see... it wasn't really my fault :roll ... but choosing the Strat over Gibson is. :D

That's alright. I figure I was already getting the boot with the confession of liking ABBA's, "Dancing Queen"... but that had to do with having a crush on a girl in grade 5... long story... so you see... it wasn't really my fault :roll ... but choosing the Strat over Gibson is. :D

Who could blame ya after the likes of Dynasty!

Back
Top Bottom