IRs OwnHammer Moabi Custom

Third-party impulse response pack
Welcome back Kevin :) Can you elaborate a bit on your transition to software/plugins?
I'd prefer of they were in a player-agnostic format, like older Ownhammer IRs. I have various software that uses speaker IRs, not just Fractal gear.

But if lock-in is what it takes to get Ownhammer out of Helix lock-in, I'll take it! At least it's lock-in to my favorite modeling platform.

Also, another vote for more info on the new direction!

Right now I am attempting to move to software/plugins. I am currently working with an incredibly talented graphic designer and programmer who are also wonderful human beings, and the first offering is already heavily underway. All things considered, I expected this initial product to be finished by this point in time, but with as many hats as I am wearing, I keep having to get pulled off the project for other things in order to keep the machine as a whole moving along. All necessary for the long term end goal, but, delaying the jumping-off point nonetheless.

Keeping things relevant to what will benefit Fractal Audio users, as this is their forum and I don't wish to use it to promote anything that isn't of value to their customers and keeping them a central theme, as I'm sure everyone expects, we're going to start off with cab sims. Fractal folk can use these to enhance their available tonal options in a recording environment by disabling the cab block and sending such signal into their DAW, where I feel the added convenience of being able to just turn some very sexy looking knobs that control thousands of IR's on the back end will be extremely freeing and enjoyable. This also allows me numerous creative freedoms...

First and foremost is increased functionality and value for money. As everyone knows, I like to pile on options, and I do this for what I feel are honorable reasons. I am not the kind of person that will ever take advantage of someone, my personal ethics are that I work hard and I earn everything I get in an honorable way, and I feel that in order to have a sales item that justifies a price point that is economically viable, I need to be providing significant amounts of content that can satisfy a large and diverse group of potential customers. This can lead to a lot of folders, a lot of files, and a lot of time being dumped into exploring for someone who doesn't have a good audition process set up, or doesn't really know what they are doing/looking for. The ability to have a ton of options available that anyone of any skill or experience level can access in seconds by turning a few knobs, pressing a few buttons, etc, is HUGELY exciting to me, and I am chomping at the bit thinking of the endless possibilities that can arise from it. This increase in workflow efficiency is just monstrously appealing to me from both the point of a creative designer and an end user.

Next is the ability to separate myself as a brand. Flat out, I have always hated having to do the whole "misspelled someone else's trademark" product bit. Always. It's just not me or what I want to do, but it's very hard to get away from with this type of business model. With the Workhorse and to a lesser extent the Moabi, I'm trying to get people used to accepting that things that come from me that aren't using another M.I. company's products and namesake as a sales device can be of extreme value to them; to warm up to the concept of a product that is primarily presented as just "OwnHammer". I will be continuing this more and more with the software. A mechanical engineer friend of mine who is a lifelong woodworker is helping me build proprietary cabinets that I'll be taking everything I've learned having hundreds from other builders over the last 3/4 century to use in a lot of the plugins. Will there be cab plugin options that do the whole "misspelled someone else's trademark" thing? Yes, but minimally, especially at first. I want the rebirth of the brand to be celebrated for me and my team's hard work and accomplishments, not someone else's. :)

Cab sims are the beginning. They are familiar territory, we already have the logic/technology built for all the required pieces that are going into them, and they will help provide an offering baseline to where I can start pulling the flat file library set products from the active catalog (wave audio impulse response libraries will be discontinued beyond a small handful at some point in the future). While there are many more hopeful plans with the software, this is where it deviates from benefiting Fractal Audio directly and where I feel it appropriate to not use their forum to discuss it. It's also going to not be in any immediate term that we get there, as there are just SO many things I want to do with creative and useful cab sim plugins that I have been dying to do for years.

That's all I feel I can comment on at this point in time, but hopefully it helps a little with the mystery behind it all. It's not ever my intention to be annoyingly vague and to use anxiety to generate attention, but until we are out of the gate with the first offering, it's important to keep some things under wraps. Needless to say, I can't wait to get these rolling, and I really feel it will be of great use in complement with the fantastic Fractal Audio Systems amp modeling and effects!

I just hope its a full-featured 3D TRUE movable (as in every single position is a "real" IR not a blend of close enough positions) mic cab sim like ML sound lab mikko or amplitube 5 with hundreds upon hundreds of IR captures and not just another IR loader but with a proprietary format...

As a quick supplementary commentary to my post about the new direction and as a hopeful and gentle redirect back to the original topic of this thread, one of the primary functions that I hope this Moabi Custom library serves in the long term plan of the OwnHammer product catalog is to provide Fractal Audio users with some options that are "right down the middle" for a few different major tone food groups, this one largely centering around medium to high gain sounds. Of course this is just a general intention, as mistermikev noted, there are also great options for cleans to be had!

In this way, when things start to shift a little, folks who use their Fractal hardware in a way that it is not directly involving of a computer or recording software will still have some options that represent a more current style of how I sample things. :)

I just hope its a full-featured 3D TRUE movable (as in every single position is a "real" IR not a blend of close enough positions) mic cab sim like ML sound lab mikko or amplitube 5 with hundreds upon hundreds of IR captures and not just another IR loader but with a proprietary format...

I can't comment on specifics at this time, but there are numerous cab related items in the works and things of this nature are part of it. :)

Thanks for the feedback, very glad to hear you're digging it!

In full honesty, impedance curves aren't something I'm personally invested in for the purpose of making IR libraries (it will become more relevant for me if OwnHammer ever builds amp sims), and I don't capture this data when shooting cabs. With my Axe-Fx III, I fully trust Fractal's choices for each amp model, and am of the mind of recommending one to "flip through the options that are provided and choose what you think sounds best" if they feel like deviating from the default pick. :)
Thanks for the info, Kevin!
Also for the insights and thoughts in your other posts, I wish you good luck and success with all your future endeavors!

played this for about an hour. "OH Moabi DRG Low Gain" absolutely jumped out of the crowd for me for cleans -unexpectedly.

"OH Moabi LRG 421M+121" was my fav high gainer.

whole collection is a standout among my irs... makes me wonder if I need a solid wood cabinet!
BAL 160+121 so far for me. I just went there because those have been the mics I've gravitated toward with the BE v3. Agreed on your last point...THESE SOUND PHENOMENAL!!!

Didn’t really hit me right at first but I tried again today. Loaded up various Friedman channels and got things clicking when I made adjustments for my guitar. I stuck with the various blends “live sound” and “high gain.” I also used the Recto Large impedance curve.

I’ll have to listen how I like the results tomorrow after resting my ears but this might be the foundation of a new Friedman sound for me.

I just had a good play with the /Recommended IRs, damn this pack sounds great!! Balanced and full-bodied just like the reVolution pack (has been my goto for years). Thanks Kevin! Super excited for you on this new journey of yours!

Moabi-960.jpg

ownhammer.com/moabi

Hey everyone, it's been a minute. :)
Just a heads up on something new that I've put together and released in Ultra-Res .syx format that I think could greatly benefit some folks in these parts: the Moabi Custom impulse response and preset library, linked above. There are several things that I feel not only makes this different, but special:

First and foremost, the cabinet itself is non-traditional in that it is not constructed of off the shelf plywood or particle board wrapped in glue and tolex, but solid African moabi hardwood. When shooting the same speaker set in the exact same way with the exact same mic compared to a tolexed plywood cabinet of the same dimensions, the resultant sound is noticeably more lively, tight, resonant, and, well, "woody" sounding.

Secondly, as opposed to the standard "component" style approach to building sounds, I went a more results driven route this time instead. I shot a bunch of T1221, T3903, T3904, T4335, and T5901 speakers spanning the 1970’s through the 2010’s and blended them together in various ways -- on top of changing the amount of active speakers in the cabinet at a given time as well as changes in mic technique -- to create the different following nine distinct sound groups:

Core Voicings
  • Extra Large
  • Large
  • Medium
  • Small

Specialty Voicings
  • Balanced
  • Cali Style
  • Contemporary
  • Down Tuned
  • Drogonian

Within each are 15 single mics and 10 core mic mixes, as well as mic-pair mix permutations for those who may be interested, or don't have a Fractal device with a multi-channel IR mixer cab block.

As the icing on the cake, there's also 3 base tone amp presets (surrounding the Friedman BE-100 V3 amp model) to give a head start on sounds as well as some context for the intention of the library sonically.

All files within are in Ultra-Res (.syx) format, so they'll be compatible and drop right in with any AX8, Axe-Fx II, Axe-Fx III, FM3, or FM9 you may have.

I hope that everyone has been well throughout the last few years of craziness we've all been through in the world, and that those who pick this one up enjoy it!

All the best,
Kevin
These sound great. Thank you for all the voicing options!

Thanks for the info, Kevin!
Also for the insights and thoughts in your other posts, I wish you good luck and success with all your future endeavors!
^^^ What he said!

Thanks guys, appreciate the support, and fingers crossed!

BAL 160+121 so far for me. I just went there because those have been the mics I've gravitated toward with the BE v3. Agreed on your last point...THESE SOUND PHENOMENAL!!!

Thanks! Glad your found favor in reaching for the Balanced voicing. Truth be told, that voicing was built specifically around what I felt were Fractal user preference trends I'd observed in the past. Also very happy to hear from you and others that the Mic Pair Mixes folder is getting some use!

I don't buy a lot of IRs, pretty satisfied with the factory cabs. But this package caught my eye so I bought it on a whim. As expected there are a million IRs in there, so I figured I'd start out by checking out the three included Friedman BE presets with suggested IRs. Holy crap they all sound amazing!
Didn’t really hit me right at first but I tried again today. Loaded up various Friedman channels and got things clicking when I made adjustments for my guitar. I stuck with the various blends “live sound” and “high gain.” I also used the Recto Large impedance curve.

I’ll have to listen how I like the results tomorrow after resting my ears but this might be the foundation of a new Friedman sound for me.

Excellent, thanks! I know that the emotive response to sound stimulus, as we affectionately refer to it as "tone", is a very subjective and individual thing, and why I try to have such a wide spread with the IR bits. I know the presets were very limited in range by comparison, so I'm happy to hear that they're finding some use, thanks for the info there!

Thank you, Kevin.

Were can we find some recording samples?

If it helps, touched on this topic and have some info regarding it in post #20 of this thread.

Very nice IRS - noticed a lot less floor noise now have to look into this theory with other IRS
I just had a good play with the /Recommended IRs, damn this pack sounds great!! Balanced and full-bodied just like the reVolution pack (has been my goto for years). Thanks Kevin! Super excited for you on this new journey of yours!
Great to see (hear?) you back in the mix, Kevin! You’re a pro with excellent audio taste.
These sound great. Thank you for all the voicing options!
Hey Kevin, there is a clarity with these that's indeed different from all my others, nice job, and they certainly sound great!

Thanks so much guys, really appreciate the positive vibes, and super happy to hear that you are finding this group of sounds to be to your liking! Super happy to be back in the saddle, looking forward to staying there. :)

I bought this pack a few days ago and for the first time I've found the IR that works great for almost any preset with minimal tweaking. I've got IR packs from Bogren, GGD, York, ML and Kohler and they are great but there is something to this pack that just works for me. They sit in the mix just right. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom