OwnHammer IR Question

Pwrmac7600

Power User
@ownhammer I would have messaged you but understandably your messages are turned off.

I was curious with the new mixes that you have added to the newer IR Packs, if I have read correctly in the past these mixes are real world mic mixes not Cablab mixes of single mic IR's?
Which means they hold within the IR all the proximity and phase goodness that comes with micing a real cab. I am curious if when recording the Mar CB cab you made any of these mixes based on some of the new mixes you are including in the cab packs, namely the
“CHUNK” is based on a more “fat” sounding version of the BOLD mix.
“BOLD” is a proprietary mix that has a forward midrange with a slightly relaxed top and bottom end.
“CUT” is based on an on-axis 57 and off-axis 57 mic combination.
“CUT+121” is based on a 121 added to the Quick-Start CUT mix.
Trying to figure out what the reality is that we may someday have a revisit to the Mar CB packs to add these mixes if they were by some odd chance shot and just not used in the pack at the original time of release?

Also a question I have had for a while but was too afraid of looking stupid to ask, and have not yet tried myself. If I convert your mixes using Min Phase, does it remove the phase that was originally captured in the mixes?
I ask because Part of what I love about these mixes is that they sound so much more natural than mixing single IR's in cablab.

Any insight to the above you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Yeah, I have every social media contact channel blocked to funnel people towards the contact portal on my website - it's just too much to keep track of and otherwise contact attempts would go unanswered. Even at that, my email queue still has non-critical things that have been triaged and backed up months. Apologies, there just aren't enough of me's running around just yet to handle my current bandwidth. Need to get with those CRISPR folk and see what we can't do about that though... :)

In the very near future I will be revisiting the 412 MAR-CB section of the site. There are 3 new libraries to drop there, 1 that has a second speaker being added (PR-M20) as a free update, and most of the libraries need to be recompiled to add the new mixes you mentioned, as well compressed to single file zips like the other new libraries to keep distribution more streamlined now that internet connections are starting to get better around the world with high speed being more affordable and fiber getting laid down.

And you are correct, it's pretty much impossible to duplicate what I'm doing with the pre-made mixes in an EXACT fashion with any tool, though realistically you can get close. I don't use conventional IR mixing tools to make my mixes, FWIW. Over the last 8 years of experimenting, I've kind of developed my own way of doing things after trying it all, in the box and out of the box, but it's definitely not the only way to do things and get a great sound.

You are correct about minimum phase transformation - it destroys all phase data and recompiles the file at a mathematically universal time of flight, which is not zero, but close to it (hence minimum phase instead of zero phase, there is still a small offset). You can, however, set Min Phase to None, and work more with the original data. With some captures like the rear that have things bounding all over the place, you'll notice a significant difference working in 'None' than 'Min Phase', it's less so with the close mics, but still noticeable if you have good monitors and ears. Which is "better" is all taste though, but I am like you and like the phase data in if possible for most sources, not entirely unanimously though.

Back
Top Bottom