OwnHammer Impulses - Speaker Cabinets now available!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ownhammer

Power User
Vendor
********** edit **********
To prevent clutter on the board, below is a list of current releases.

January 15, 2011
- 412-GTR SLM V30-1

January 5, 2011
- 412-GTR SLM M75

December 22, 2010
- 412-GTR SLM H65

November 26, 2010
- 112-GTR Boogafunk 12L

November 5, 2010
- 412-GTR Mills 12K

October 15, 2010
- 112-GTR Boogafunk BLU
- 412-GTR Mesa V30 #1
- 412-GTR Mesa V30 #2

Hello,
My name is Kevin and I am the owner and operator of OwnHammer.com. Today marks the initial launch of the Speaker Cabinet portion of the OwnHammer Impulse Response Libraries. The OwnHammer Speaker Cabinet libraries are offered in commercial Nebula, Axe-Fx, and Convolution Reverb format and present you with not only the choice of cab make and model, but also different makes and models of speakers that have been placed and sampled within it.

Each Speaker Cabinet library contains 7 microphone choices where placement is based on the sweet spot area for that particular mic. There are 5 sampled placements per microphone, and an additional 5 placements of impulses dubbed Mix-n-Match, which are 50-50 level dual mic combinations. The approach of offering less positions is by concept of quality over quantity, allowing for increased work flow and less time spent searching and auditioning endless amounts of impulse choices, most of which you may never use. Pick the mic whose character works best for your desired sound, fine tune with placement, and you're off!

Audio samples using original music compositions are available on the site, demonstrating the impulses used in bare-bones setup configurations, of which equipment and setting are displayed to inform you how the sound was achieved. At the current time of this posting, there are 3 Speaker Cabinet Libraries available, with more than 50 immediately in the development queue. For much more information please visit the site:

http://www.ownhammer.com

Hope to see you there!

Best Wishes,
Kevin
http://www.ownhammer.com

Last edited:
Just got the Boogie cab with v30. First listen it sounds very impressive. Will keep an eye on the other cabs and maybe have a punt! :D

Interesting, very interesting. I'm a sucker for a decent IR collection :) I think having fewer IRs could potentially work well for me as I'm pretty bad at listening objectively when comparing loads of IRs. Going to give the Boogie 4x12 a going over tomorrow.

Spence

IMO for this thing Nebula technology brings nothing. Of course it's not a reason to not use Nebula.

bmi said:
IMO for this thing Nebula technology brings nothing. Of course it's not a reason to not use Nebula.

It doesn't necessarily bring much to speaker cab IRs but it is awesome for sampling/emulating old analogue studio gear etc...

Hey guys,
Thanks very much for the compliments, and thanks to xpenno so much for uploading a clip so quickly! I look forward to hearing more of the Axe-Fx with the OwnHammer cabs!

A quick reply to:

IMO for this thing Nebula technology brings nothing. Of course it's not a reason to not use Nebula

The discussion of the WAV vs NEB cabs has been brought into my starter post at the Nebula forum, and they all seem to agree with me that the NEB versions bring much to cab simulation. Check it out!:

http://acustica-audio.com/forum/index.p ... c&start=10

Additionally, I wouldn't have gone to the extra trouble to include the format if I did not see a benefit in the technology for this application. ;)

Again, thanks for the positive comments and I look forward to hearing more clips from those who have jumped on board with the OwnHammer Impulses! :D

Best Regards,
Kevin

xpenno said:
bmi said:

It doesn't necessarily bring much to speaker cab IRs but it is awesome for sampling/emulating old analogue studio gear etc...
That's what i say.

ownhammer said:
Hey guys,
Thanks very much for the compliments, and thanks to xpenno so much for uploading a clip so quickly! I look forward to hearing more of the Axe-Fx with the OwnHammer cabs!

A quick reply to:

IMO for this thing Nebula technology brings nothing. Of course it's not a reason to not use Nebula

The discussion of the WAV vs NEB cabs has been brought into my starter post at the Nebula forum, and they all seem to agree with me that the NEB versions bring much to cab simulation. Check it out!:

http://acustica-audio.com/forum/index.p ... c&start=10

Additionally, I wouldn't have gone to the extra trouble to include the format if I did not see a benefit in the technology for this application. ;)

Again, thanks for the positive comments and I look forward to hearing more clips from those who have jumped on board with the OwnHammer Impulses! :D

Best Regards,
Kevin
For me the extra trouble is the price.
I have Nebula3 Pro and NAT and for all the tests i have made it brings nothing for speakers IRs.
If there is a difference it's just that you release 2 different IRs, with 2 different prices. IMO of course.
(3$ is really given for the .syx)

Hi bmi,
If you check that Nebula posting, multiple users have posted their experience playing through both the WAV and NEB packages. Opinions are just that, but so far they are unanimous, and also mirror my experiences.

You did mention that you have done NAT sampling and (I assume) copared it to your own Convolution Reverb impulses for A/B testing. One thing of note, the session and template setting make a big difference. I spent quite a bit of time tweaking and tinkering to get the best outcome, because if setting are not optimal for what you are sampling, then no, Nebula format doesn't sound any better than the convolution reverb IR's. All these things need to be taken into account as Nebula, and for that matter NAT, are much different beasts!

The issue of price rates and price differences were also brought up in that post, to which I responded, and also people challenging my choices in the end understood why they are what they are after playing through them all. I do not wish to go into detail on this topic, as I have said in that thread I find it inappropriate and unnecessary, as my justifications should be quite easy to figure out. In either case, I hope you find my response to this informative, as I in no way wish to come off as combative or argumentative. Not personally a fan of bringing "heat" to forums, I find it quite counter productive! :)

Hope this helps to you or anyone inquiring on such topics!

Best Regards,
Kevin

Hi bmi,
Not sure what exactly you're comparing, which is which, what you're using, etc since there are no details available. From what I can tell by your previous post, you seem to be a potential competitor attempting to slam my product by making either unfair or "apples to oranges" comparisons and guising it as scientific A/B testing. Who knows though, I could be, and hopefully am wrong! :lol: I could have done such tests, taken a sound and then chose the complete wrong IR from a competitor's library to use for a sound or at least one that differs greatly instead of attempting to match the sounds and said "hey, check out me vs. the competition". However to me it's unprofessional and downright underhanded. Says a lot about personal character, but I suppose this is just my opinion. :) Again, I do not wish to stir emotions, but I feel in this case I need to defend myself against malicious intent by prospective competition.

Back into the positive, I don't know which is which, but each has a unique sound that one may prefer over another. That's the beauty of sound, it's not right or wrong, it's preference. If my IR is the second and yours is the first, then I would suggest using the SM57-3 impulse as a starting point, might get you more in the same ballpark.

Hope this helps, and best of luck with your IR packs!

Best Regards,
Kevin

Where do you see a competitor? I have nothing to sell.
I've tried all the IRs of the pack and i've to say that even if there are differences it has not changed the deal. I've not tried to find the worst IR of the pack. I will redo the sample with the SM57-3. Between the two parts i've just turned the wheel.(plexi1 with default values what can i say more)

You come on FAS forum with the idea of your product not being compared? You've made a mistake.
This forum is full of comparisons. Of course your IR will be compared to RedWire to Recabinet and to free IRs available.
(first is mine)

Hi guys!

Some quick replies to some of the last few posts:

Where do you see a competitor? I have nothing to sell.
I've tried all the IRs of the pack and i've to say that even if there are differences it has not changed the deal. I've not tried to find the worst IR of the pack. I will redo the sample with the SM57-3. Between the two parts i've just turned the wheel.(plexi1 with default values what can i say more)

You come on FAS forum with the idea of your product not being compared? You've made a mistake.
This forum is full of comparisons. Of course your IR will be compared to RedWire to Recabinet and to free IRs available.
(first is mine)

Whether you have anything to sell or you are making IR's for free, your tone, and all of your posts in this thread have been almost entirely negative, and almost entirely conjecture. There are other forums where other IR's have been compared to my own, and they have been full of information on what was used. They were not self serving, and were done in the spirit of helping others see what my IR's sounded like compared to others. So no, I have not come to the wrong forum, I welcome FAIR and INFORMATIVE comparisons, they are inevitable and help the community!

Additionally, if you are unable to create Nebula IR's that differ in sound from WAV IR's, that does not mean it is not possible, and all the evidence that I and others have provided states that it is.

I apologize if I sound short or demeaning in this post, but you have taken a stance to attack, and thusly I need to take one to defend. I'm not particularly happy that our discourse has reached this tone, as I'm not trying to brood any bad blood, and I do sincerely mean this! :) I do not wish to comment further on these issues, and again, thank you for your business and wish you the very best of luck!

Can't get this link to open on my Mac.
Any ideas why?

I've tested the site across IE, Firefox, Safari, and Chrome, and done so across Windows, Snow Leopard, and Linux, so if there is an issue I am wondering if you are having either firewall or ISP interference in reaching my site? Is it timing out, or are you getting "page not found" errors? This is the first issue I've had like this, so I would think that the problem may be more local network related than OS/browser related?

what the diff with mesa v30 #1 and #2?

Please have a look at Question/Answer #7 on the Impulses F.A.Q. page:

http://www.ownhammer.com/support/impulsesfaq/

The difference in the speakers is the speaker, not the placement in the cab. Snowflakes I tell you!!! :lol:

Hope this helps guys!

Best Regards,
Kevin

No2 has slightly different voicing in the speakers. Slightly more bass and less mids, more "modern" sounding.

I think they sound great and thats good enough for my ears. Can't wait for more (cough...Scumbacks..cough)!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom