Ownhammer HHC pack = WOW!

stm113

Power User
Finally got around to picking up the HHC pack. I can say these IR's are NO JOKE! The clarity, the variety, and THE TONE. Right now I'm stuck on the Orange M25/V30 Modern 02 mix. Worked extremely well with Recto 1 Orange modern, USA Lead Brt and HBE V2 models for some Nu-Metal meets Modern Heavy Rock tones tuned in drop B.

I am sure I'll never get through all of the options but since I only have cab lab lite I found the easiest way for me to audition the IR's is record a take into my DAW with the cab block disabled then use a convolution plug to try different IR's. That way I don't have to go through and convert then load a ton of files. I only end up converting and loading my favorites.

Sounds very smart! Can you share some detail on how/what you're doing to load the IR's (in the DAW)?

Absolutely! Sonar has a convolution plug in called "Perfect Space" i think it's really meant for Reverb IR's but works well for this application. I just record into my DAW with the cab block disabled then insert Perfect Space in the FX bin on that track and load various IR's during the play back.

If you want to do this and your DAW doesn't have a convolution plug in then you can get the Boogex from Voxengo for free. It's supposed to be a virtual amp, as you could guess it's not passable for that but...it is good to use to load IR's for these reasons once you bypass it's amp "simulation", not sure if it colors the sound much or not. One cool thing the Boogex does is allow to shift the phase. This is helpful if you are doing a project and record the tracks w/o a cab block and add it in the mix later. You can get re-amping like results with out the re-amping hassle.

For what it's worth imho: +1 that HHC is one of the finest OH releases to date in regards to variation within one pack, and +100 that one should grab full CabLab. Both are a no-brainer. Bottom line, if you own a Fractal product there is little to no reason not to also own full CabLab. It's basically (for all accounts) a prerequisite.

Thanks guys! The HHC was a huge undertaking but totally worth it. Feedback coming toward me mirrors your experience, and I very much appreciate you sharing it. :)

Funny you mention Perfect Space, I use that and Cab Lab as my choice IR loaders. Perfect Space for quick flipping single files and production mixes, and Cab Lab for mix recipe building and testing/tweaking phases. Both great at what they do!

Back
Top Bottom