Ownhammer/FAS Player Cab Pack - 412 MAR Green Vintage

Callan

Experienced
This looks like it was released a few hours ago on Facebook, but no mention here which I thought a bit odd.
Maybe Kevin (@ownhammer) is enjoying some sleep.

This release looks to be via Fractal only at the moment, with some mixes unique to this pack. (no you can't use your ownhammer volume discount - this pack is via the Fractal Store)

More info on the difference between this and say the 412 MAR-CB can be found at:
http://ownhammer.com/support/playerpacks/

Cabinet, Speakers & Microphones
CABINET: 412 MAR (Based on a 1970s Marshall™ 1960B closed back 4x12)

SPEAKERS:
  • PR-H55 (Based on pre-Rola 55 Hz cone Celestion™ G12H-30’s)
  • PR-H75 (Based on pre-Rola 75 Hz cone Celestion™ G12H-30’s)
  • PR-M55 (Based on pre-Rola 55 Hz cone Celestion™ G12M-25’s)
  • PR-M75 (Based on pre-Rola 75 Hz cone Celestion™ G12M-25’s)
MICROPHONES:
  • Shure™ SM57
  • Neumann™ U87 (vintage)
  • Royer™ R121
  • Telefunken™/Sennheiser™ MD421 (vintage)
  • Neumann™ KM84 (vintage – Rear & Room)
MULTI-MIC MIXES:
  • All - All six primary microphones mixed together.
  • Fat - Fat and thick lows and low mids. (like OH1F in quickstart)
  • Fwd - Forward and ‘in your face’. (like OH1 in quickstart)
  • Full - Full body with a lively top end. (like SP2 in quickstart)
  • Smooth - Smooth top end without excess low end.
  • Warm - Warm and full in the low mids and midrange.
Fractal Store link:
http://shop.fractalaudio.com/Cab_Pack_OwnHammer_412_MAR_Green_Vintage_p/fas-801-0032.htm

Demo's from @Guitarjon

412 MAR-CB now contains H75-PR and M75-PR IRs. Does 412 MAR Green Vintage contain the same IR?
The 412 MAR CB Ownhammer pack always contained those IR's. My question is, are these new players pack IR's just a repackage of the same IR shoot as the 412 MAR-CB in a simplified "players pack" version?

Doesn't really state though if they are completely new shoots of these speakers, or if they are in fact the same IR's that were shot in the original 412 MAR-CB shoot... Just want to ensure I am not repurchasing the same exact IR's that I already have, with just some new mixes.

I mean I already purchased them anyway, lol but still going forward, I would like to know that If I already have a 412 MAR CB Vintage 30 let's say, and a players pack for this cab is release with the V30 that I would not just be re purchasing the exact same IR's I already have from the more robust Own Hammer pack through their website, in a more condensed version.
No need to purchase twice, but if they are completely new shoots of the same speakers and cabs then I will purchase, being the IR junkie that I am :D

Thanks to the OP for posting! You are correct, after a weekend of 20 hour work days, I zonked out last night involuntarily before I could post. :)

On the aforementioned OH web page (ownhammer.com/support/playerpacks/) it goes over how and where there are similarities on the second half of the page in the sections entitled "How are they similar and different?" and "Where do the libraries slightly overlap?", to which the only thing I could do there is just copy and paste that same text. However, I can answer the why to pose as a sort of buyer's guide:

When I started releasing commercial impulse response libraries in October of 2010, the consumer landscape was VERY different then. The market mostly comprised of mid level and home studio operations using mostly freeware VST sims, and at least half or more of the time working on other people's music in the form of remote mixing services. The requirement there was verbosity, as IR's were used like an EQ to re-shape sounds, be it to compensate for uneven or unnatural sounding amp simulation, or the sound that someone else created that didn't work in other settings or with other tastes. There was both the want and the need for lots of options in the tool bag. Back then, even real amps weren't as easy to get in the box as they are now, as dummy loads were either of low quality, or as expensive as an amp and with a six month wait list if you wanted a good one. So IR's were as much as for fixing as they were anything, and were typically required by people who already knew how to mic cabs, just wanted more options than they had on hand, or to save time and the noise involved in re-amping so it could be done in off hours or off site from the studio.

Skip ahead to now.

Now the amp based tools are "there". Amp simulation is scarily accurate, and dummy loads with line outs are of high quality, readily available, and affordably priced. These tools have also reshaped the studio landscape, as a lot of guitarists are almost now charged with creating the sound that engineers and mixers typically were required for. At the same time there has become this responsibility, there is also the desire for it to be simple, as the player is (usually, not always) more interested in, well, playing. With amp simulation and tube amp signal transfer being as simple as it is, the natural progression is also to have the cabinet, speaker, and mic up simulation at that same level of ease. Now, people just want to click a magic button and have a million dollar sound. Why? Because it's possible. Again, this then allows the music to flow, and the technical details to be dealt with by the service providers, such as myself, removing the middle man element of the engineers, in many cases.

The Player Packs do exactly this. They let the player click a magic button, sound like a million bucks, and get back to playing. :)

Do I expect everyone who's picked up something from my website to get that same hardware configuration in the Player Packs? Not entirely, no. The Player Packs do offer something new for those folks as is mentioned on the OH knowledge base page, but I see them more as the way of the future, and sort of a line in the sand, with the focus of a laser beam on exactly what the target market implied in the name itself wants and needs.

Now the stage is set, and the question more is what; what do you want and need? If you want to trim the fat while bringing in some new and very powerful new options, the Player Packs are for you! If you want to have your cake and eat it too, the verbose versions of these hardware configurations will also be on the OH site. As of right now, this particular library has a couple speakers that I've not yet added to my site's catalog - the PR-H55 being a big hit with the pre-release feedback - which could be another interest point in the 412 MAR Green Vintage Player Pack until such time as I am able to catch up.

Hope that helps, and everyone enjoys the library!

I love the player pack philosophy for the mic and mix selection. That was a big reason I went with Fractal in the first place and the OH stuff sounds like a clear upgrade over stock (in terms of what I want to hear, not quality). I appreciate the effort that goes into modeling so many mics and mixes and positions and what not, but at the end of the day I like those quick start options...here's a good sounding 57, here's a good sounding R121, here's a neutral mix, here's bright/dark/warm/fat/etc.

Boom. And that is the entire point of these. :)

The distinction between the Player Packs and the OH site contents will become even more apparent over time when I have the ability to re-arrange things on the OH site to where it will be very obvious how these are intended to work off of each other, and appeal to the different crowds. Right now it's new, and I'm still catching up, but it will get there before long.

Glad to hear that the early adopters are digging the concept and the files. Looking very forward to expanding this with more content very soon!

Love the idea of this approach Kevin.. I fit squarely into this more recent demographic of tweak less and get me to the desired result fast. I don't have the patience or interest to tweak cab mixes all day. And I have a ton of your IR's going back to the beginning.

So, I have the MMC version of the MAR-CB, but not the "v4" MAR-CB 4x12 pack. Would it make any sense to get the MAR-CB 4x12 pack, or should I just go for the Player's Pack? I like the thought of a bit less tweaking (not to mention the exclusive speaker & mix options) of the Player's Pack, but the back of my mind is wondering about redundancy and "missing options."

Also what I like about it, that it's not so many ir's. There are just about under 200 and in the Mixes Files is already excelent various mixes available, which are well ballanced and full and warm or right into your face.;)

Last edited:
So, I have the MMC version of the MAR-CB, but not the "v4" MAR-CB 4x12 pack. Would it make any sense to get the MAR-CB 4x12 pack, or should I just go for the Player's Pack? I like the thought of a bit less tweaking (not to mention the exclusive speaker & mix options) of the Player's Pack, but the back of my mind is wondering about redundancy and "missing options."

It all depends on what you need.
If you just want to load them up and be ready to go right away I would definitely get them.
However, if you want to make your own mixes and if you like to vary between darker and brighter mix or mic options, the regular pack might be the best choice.
For me the player packs make total sense though.
I like to have easy choices.
Before the player packs I stuck to the quick start folder almost with all the packs anyway.

I purchases the player pack last night. They are really good. I also have the MAR-CB. In my opinion, you do not really need these if you already have the MAR-CB. JMO YMMV

Thanks for the feedback!

My next IR purchase will probably be the MAR-CB with the EV speaker, but I'll probably cave and get the dual Celestion at some point as well for that absolute classic Marshall tone. And maybe an Orange cab or something.

Oddly enough, I spent a couple hours last night auditioning amps and I just used the first IR in my user pack, which I think is the free Mesa 4x12 V30 with 121. It worked for pretty much everything I threw at it including the 1987 Jump, 5153 Blue, Double Verb Normal, even the AC30 TB.

Hey guys , new poster to the forum but long time reader. Axe user for the last year. Downloaded the player pack today as my first 3rd party IR's. Been searching around the Axe for the sound in my head now for some time and these are going to make that happen I'm sure of it. After 10 mins of scrolling through them at full volume through my FRFR I got that same feeling I got after updating to Quantum. Actually hard to get a bad(unusable) sound. What could be days adjusting knobs on the axe looking for tones could be done in minutes now. Well done Kevin , will be downloading more OH stuff in the very near future. If your new to Axe and have just been using the stock stuff ( which are still very usable ) get the card out and get these baby's. Awsome

Getting me thinking, I own a few Redwire and Ownhammer packs. But I never use them. Stock with a 121 mic has been doing fine. Don't get me wrong I have the old Cab Lab and while I see the value, Used it 2 or 3 times.
I like the idea of quick and good, once I putz around with tones and cabs, I've lost any creativity that inspired me to play in the first place, thus rabbit hole opens.
I believe your on to something, and think I'll pull the trigger on this.
And guitarjohn's video sounded pretty sweet. Well done!

Last edited:
Getting me thinking, I own a few Redwire and Ownhammer packs. But I never use them. Stock with a 121 mic has been doing fine. Don't get me wrong I have the old Cab Lab and while I see the value, Used it 2 or 3 times.
I like the idea of quick and good, once I putz around with tones and cabs, I've lost any creativity that inspired me to play in the first place, thus rabbit hole opens.

Similar on my end.. I have quite a few cab packs, especially going back to Kevin's (Ownhammer) earlier releases, etc. But I just don't mess with them a lot because of the time it takes to get to an end result, never mind the tweaking I do after various FW releases. What I've done up to now is to have sessions where I sit down specifically to work on my presets, including messing w/ various IR, etc. vs. when I want to sit down and just play. I've found that, since I started using the Axe FX 4-5 years back, I'll sometimes spend more time tweaking than playing. It's not out of necessity per say, but the option is there so I tend to go there sometimes.. I still plug straight into tube amps I own from time to time just to keep it simple and make myself focus and work a little harder.

Thanks guys, very happy to hear everyone's positive experience with the concept and the execution here! Hope it is helping everyone play more and tweak less! :)

In complete sincerity, I couldn't answer that question for you, assuming it wasn't rhetorical and more just 'thinking out loud'. The Player Packs will be roughly a little more than half the cost of picking up the individual speakers from the OH site once they all make it there, but also way less options. For some people, both of those are good things, others the second brings in the debate for which feature set to settle in with, which I believe to be a very personal condition. If you never, ever go outside of the Quick-Start in the OH V4 (and up) stuff, and within that never use the M+ or most of the mic/mixes files, then the Player Packs I think are a safe bet. :) The M75 in the MMC and the V4 one do sound a little different from each other, add that the PP also has 3 other speakers, the two H's people are really, really digging from what feedback has been passed my way.

Back
Top Bottom