OwnHammer Beta Cab IR Comparison Clips

Well I didn't like the sound that much and particulary when pushed hard... hm... but I don't know if it's the amp/guitar and/or the IR. Sounded tiresome to me, even though I am definitely no rocker I can like really distorted sounds. I am somewhat puzzled what's so great about it... maybe it's not my kind of sound and because of that my ears don't work?

Did you listen to the FLAC? Also note what I was doing with it; I'm not demonstrating what you want to listen to... no. It's there though.

Everyone's tastes are different. I for example work almost entirely in the context of full mix recording for thick, heavy music. For this my traditional style IR's, which are used in this example, are appropriate as they sit impeccably and appropriately with the rest of the music. The use and application of IR's has grown out of that box, and I have adapted, for behold, today's FB post:

Public-Beta-Preview-%28Nebula-Portion-Analysis%29.jpg

Fat and Warm will do wonders for the FRFR, non commercial recordist user. There will be something for everybody, and it will come with greater depth and fidelity than anything else yet made available on the market, trust me. ;)

What's the position x-y stuff you list? Are those mic positions that come with each cab pack from OwnHammer? When you say "OH Beta V30 w/ SM57 - Position 1-9 Mix" does that mean you mixed two positions (1 and 9) or nine positions (1 through 9)?

Last edited:
How would someone with comparatively little experience (to your's) know how to select the 'appropriate' IR for a given sound? Each of your samples sounds interesting in its own way. Yet people speak of them in what seems to be a 'this is soo much better than that' and 'its obvious' sort of fashion.

Toss a looper block in the preset and scroll through them. You might be surprised at the differences the IR's make. It's the single most important aspect for shaping you sound IMHO.

Do some research and see what speakers and mics (and positions) have been traditionally used and preferred with certain amps over the years.

I hear you on this. But, being there are different kinds of FRFR speakers to choose from does it not vary the best IR for the FRFR speaker choice? My EV ELX115P speakers using the same IR as you Scott with your RFC NX12-SMA will not be exactly the same. Correct?

Correct, but incorrect application. Good tone is good tone; what your monitor does with it is what your monitor does with it. It is what it is; your monitor is what it is.

Well I didn't like the sound that much and particulary when pushed hard... hm... but I don't know if it's the amp/guitar and/or the IR. Sounded tiresome to me, even though I am definitely no rocker I can like really distorted sounds. I am somewhat puzzled what's so great about it... maybe it's not my kind of sound and because of that my ears don't work?

Added another quick clip for you to hear at much lower gain, much more dynamics. See the OP.

Did you listen to the FLAC? Also note what I was doing with it; I'm not demonstrating what you want to listen to... no. It's there though.

I made a second try and finally found the link to the FLAC file. Yes it sounds a lot better. Not so bright and icy. Even though I use FLAC a lot I didn't know it was that kind of difference with Soundcloud quality.

I know that you don't try to use sounds that I might like, but what pleases yourself. Still I was interrested but unsure of the improved step spoken about. But now I came closer to understand that there is some real quality there even if not one of my preferred distorted sounds.

Thanks a lot Scott, it is allways nice when someone demostrate and informs.

IMO there aren't so much "good" and "bad" IR's as there are different IR's for different applications. My general rule of thumb is I go for brighter IR's in studio mix use and darker IR's for live use.

Obviously, the OH IR's are brighter in your example Scott. However, I can tell right away that IR would NOT work for ME personally in a live context because it would be way too harsh and ice picky in the highs at gig volume. When you get to the RW V30 IR it obviously sounds dark and muffled in comparison. But again, I know from experience that the same IR that seems dark and muffled in my bedroom might be perfect for a gig.

I was recently fortunate to work with a big name Fractal artist and do IR captures of his live cab setup for him. When combined with an amp match we had his rig REALLY matched well. However, one day when jamming with headphones in the hotel he tried out some factory IR's that were much more "clear" and he said they were "blowing away" the IR matches of his real cabs. He wanted to switch all his gig presets to that IR. However, what sounded great at bedroom volumes was way too harsh through the PA and he immediately switched back.

So I guess the point of this is I wouldn't suggest users spend lots of time looking for the perfect "best" IR. Figure out your application, where your guitar should fit in the mix for the style of music you're doing and work from there. And ALWAYS audition at the appropriate volume level.

However, I can tell right away that IR would NOT work for ME personally in a live context because it would be way too harsh and ice picky in the highs at gig volume. ... So I guess the point of this is I wouldn't suggest users spend lots of time looking for the perfect "best" IR. Figure out your application, where your guitar should fit in the mix for the style of music you're doing and work from there. And ALWAYS audition at the appropriate volume level.

Following your own advice, you would need to actually try them before formulating an opinion of them. ;) It seems you have a dog in this fight so I sympathize with the need to defend something you have worked very hard on, no hard feelings. However, you must not have read post number 23, have a look at the text there and you'll see that this is an example of a portion of the SM57 section that is primarily intended for recording and that within the package are other options for live/FRFR users.

Since my words may not translate, here's a couple audio clips I whipped up in 10 seconds that show the range of tone available within only 1 microphone. And before you listen, acknowledge that ANY sound in between is possible, and in Nebula it can be on the fly as the faders control the interpolated mix in real time. I'm not going to mess with SoundCloud, 128 kbps smashdown and my time restrictions today do not go well with it, so here are some 24 bit .wav files:

This one is Position 1, Fat OFF, Warm OFF. This is the brightest for that particular cab/speaker/mic:

http://www.ownhammer.com/temp/Test-for-Adam_Brightest.wav

This one is Position 9, Fat ON, Warm ON. This is the Darkest and fullest for that particular cab/speaker/mic:

http://www.ownhammer.com/temp/Test-for-Adam_Darkest.wav

You should know the SM57 characteristics well enough to know how this will stack up in a collection of 10 other mics of various flavors. ;)

My mistake - my false assumption that your work with the Fractal artist was the result of a value add product to be released. In this situation I did not interpret well enough, my sincere/genuine apologies. :)

I just wanted to point out my personal opinion that I feel it is more important to think about different IR's for different applications rather than "better" vs "worse" IR's.

I agree with this statement in FULL. :thumbsup:

No worries. I look forward to trying out your IR's! I'm certain there'll be some slightly darker sounding ones in there that work great for my live use :).

FWIW, I'm in the middle of screaming matches at my day job right now between coworkers and customers, amidst not getting more than 2-3 hours of sleep a night for one month solid, so I am very much on edge at the moment. Trying to balance that concurrently with new product development and forum activity spikes are at this stage near impossible. As someone who I assume has at one point in time been in a similar job position where corporate "I'm losing $10,000 a minute and bla bla bla..." events are a regular occurrence, I hope you can excuse any negativity that may have unwillingly seeped through.

I look forward to you having them to try out, which you and everyone else will in hopefully a little less than 48 hours. :)

I am not interested in drama, I'm just under a lot of stress right now. :)

I agree with Adam completely - people think that sound and tone are FACTS when in reality they are merely OPINIONS and PREFERENCES circling a given individuals hands, gear, room, and ears, all of which vary ENTIRELY from one person and system to the next.

I am not interested in drama, I'm just under a lot of stress right now. :)

I agree with Adam completely - people think that sound and tone are FACTS when in reality they are merely OPINIONS and PREFERENCES circling a given individuals hands, gear, room, and ears, all of which vary ENTIRELY from one person and system to the next.
Ok ,close your eyes ,take a deep breath, every thing will work out. Looking forward to friday.ok exhale now :D

Back
Top Bottom