I’m almost ready to pull the trigger on one of these. I already own all of the York pacs and some others. I can’t decide if I want to try the GNR or the Evolution? I am looking for mostly classic rock marshally and fendery type sounds. 😎

Try Mikkos free IR here its awesome

I’m almost ready to pull the trigger on one of these. I already own all of the York pacs and some others. I can’t decide if I want to try the GNR or the Evolution? I am looking for mostly classic rock marshally and fendery type sounds. 😎
They're really different in concept.
GNR is an incredibly in-depth shoot of a single speaker type in a single cab that has a notable moment in its history, for which it's named.
(r)Evolution is 8 cabs, each shot with 2 different speakers. It's also a little bit more recent than GNR, reflecting Ownhammer's continued evolution of their best practices.

Some find GNR to be really special.
Personally, unless you're looking for that specific mojo, I'd go for the more varied (r)Evolution, especially if you don't already have a lot of Ownhammer IRs.
Neither one is that expensive, you could just get both :cool:

They're really different in concept.
GNR is an incredibly in-depth shoot of a single speaker type in a single cab that has a notable moment in its history, for which it's named.
(r)Evolution is 8 cabs, each shot with 2 different speakers. It's also a little bit more recent than GNR, reflecting Ownhammer's continued evolution of their best practices.

Some find GNR to be really special.
Personally, unless you're looking for that specific mojo, I'd go for the more varied (r)Evolution, especially if you don't already have a lot of Ownhammer IRs.
Neither one is that expensive, you could just get both :cool:
For my main MK IV preset 2 of the 4 IRs I use are the Ownhammer GNR’s. I pair those with 2 stock Mesa cabs and I’ve kept that unchanged since owning a II, a II Ultra (or whatever the upgrade was called), a III Mk1 and a III Mk2.

I have both the original MMMC version of the GNR pack and also the newer (r)Evolution version. They used to have the cabs in the bundle available individually, but I'm not seeing that so you might have to buy the bundle now, unless I'm mistaken.

The captures are different in the two packs. They're not exactly the same, but there is some overlap in the overall sound. The older MMMC version has a lot more mics and mic positions. It can be a bit overwhelming and I found that I usually just stick to the mixes anyway. The newer (r)Evolution version is more stripped down, with fewer mic choices and more mixes. It also has more voicing options, which are different from the MMMC voicings. Both sound good, but I think the (r)Evolution version sounds a bit better. The MMMC version can have a bit too much low end for me. The newer one is a little leaner sounding and a bit clearer. Either pack will sound good though.

Thanks that is very helpful. I am going to grab The Evolution pack tonight and go from there. Are there any discount codes currently active? Thanks

Thanks that is very helpful. I am going to grab The Evolution pack tonight and go from there. Are there any discount codes currently active? Thanks
I'm not aware of any discounts at the moment, and generally Ownhammer doesn't do sales a lot. If you want it, it's really not that expensive, just do it. 8 freaking cabs with 2 speakers each, 30 bucks? Come on man, what do you want???

OUTSTANDING! I could see just owning this pack and being totally set. Of course us IR junkies can’t leave it at that…but you could for sure.
I have been up late jamming with some of these and they are really great. So for the OH_412-MRBW_M75-GNR_Mono and OH_412-TRAD_V30-MB1_Mono summary folders are pressing all the right buttons for me. I am about to load up the OH_212-VC30_BLU-12C_Mono. Really really great job John and Kevin and crew!

Last edited:
Awesome! I'm glad it worked out. I only have the GNR cab from the bundle, but my go to mixes have been either the Rip 2 (57+160) or the Forward 2 (57+121). I'm just using the standard voicing. Are you using any cuts in the cab block? I've been using a low cut at 80hz 12db and high cut 12000hz 6db. It also sounds like it would work ok with no cuts, but it might just depend on the room your in and your setup.

Edit: I might actually prefer the high cut at 15k with the new firmware

Last edited:
I don't know why, but OH seems to have stopped developing new IR... Too bad, because they were my favorites IR

Last one outside if Line 6 formats was the (r)Evolution Debut Bundle, which is great but a while ago.

I think there may have been some sort of falling out between Kevin and Fractal, don't know the details. That can't be all of it though, it's not just Fractal that uses wav format IRs. Another piece of it may be rampant piracy, cutting even further into the not-huge profits to be made on such stuff. I know that's been a real problem in the the past.

It's a shame, he makes really good stuff.

Bought the (r) Evolution series late last night. First time IR purchase. Unzipped and organized the needed files. I will say the documentation is really nice. Understanding IR file names was a bit confusing for me. Looking forward to giving these a listen over the next few weeks (months?). There's a lot of them. Ha

Hi Guys, I bought this pack a while ago to try to improve the Headrush board I had at the time. I now want to give them a go in my FM3….few questions, as I am a bit overwhelmed with the number of IRS & don’t know much about them. Sorry of my questions are a bit basic!

1. Should I use the stereo or mono files - what the difference?
2. What ‘resolution’ should I use - does the FM3 play the 96k Hz ones and are these like ultra-res vs normal or economy and would using a higher ‘resolution’ take up more CPU?
3. Bit confused between the different groups - mics, mixes and summary - what is the difference between these?

Many thanks to anyone who can shed some light on these questions. Want to understand what I should upload to the device before I do so!

Thanks,

Nick

Back
Top Bottom