OwnHammer AMPG BASS Multi-Speaker Collection

First one I'll try to pre-address - yes, this is in replacement of the V3 Bass content that was in development earlier. The feature set and content of that was in excess, but served as a great R&D venture. AMPG BASS is not only the all-star grouping of that data, but between then and now there were additional improvements and new creations, so even the original V3 Bass data that was to be kept was resampled for AMPG BASS MSC.

I was going to get the ball rolling with some questions, but then saw the price and thought "nah I'll just buy this."

I suppose you could explain the difference between a Cut or Fat voicing and their EQ alternative? I was actually wondering at first if cut and fat were either based on mic positions, or from some outboard EQ device.

I'm also seeing now that there were separate tube and solid state power amps used...will that result again in choosing between impulses made by either one?

Correct, if you go the CUT route, it is the neutral tube amp, the MA-200, MD421, and M160 on a certain part of the speaker, and the EQ curve suits the intended use of those files (humbuckers, picks, heavier music, YMMV). If you go the FAT route, it is the neutral solid state amp, the UMT70S, M88, and R121 on a different part of the speaker, and the EQ curve suits the intended use of those files (single coils, finger playing, lighter to middle of the road music, YMMV).

Not only were those the way I tested them, but I have heard some recordings from the beta testers and without even putting that in their heads those things were exactly what happened. The guys with the J/P basses doing alternative rock and lighter stuff gravitated toward the 'FAT MIX EQ' files, the guys with the humbuckers and detuned heavy music went straight for the 'CUT MIX EQ' files, and did so unanimously and unbeknownst to one another.

Wow!! Just spent a good half an hour with the bass IR's. Not only is there such a variety, but the sound is SUPERB! I love the "EQ" versions, for a quick pull-up of a great sound to sit into a mix. And for $15!! Two very enthusiastic thumbs up!

I'm rather new to the world of the Axe-FX and have yet to explore it fully in regards to additional IRs. I always feel as if I'll get to that if the need arises as I have much to explore already.

As a former LOUD Technologies employee, thus a former Ampeg employee, I wonder as to why there aren't any 8x10 cabinets in this pack as the 8x10 is the definitive Ampeg tone and the cabinet construction is unique to that product and does not appear in the rest of the line-up.
Was it a matter of availability? That is to say that I'm inquiring as whether the 8x10 is already in the Fractal and is 'good enough' or that Ownhammer didn't have access to a cabinet?

Kent - Availability primarily. Despite the 'necessary evil', required utility nature of the files I am quite skeptical of the prospective return on bass cabinet content. As such, investing in purchasing a fridge is not something I am currently interested in entertaining unless this library blows the doors off of my ROI expectations. I've not known anyone personally to own one in over a decade, and flipping it locally would likely prove difficult. However, if anyone in the Cincinnati, Dayton, Columbus, Indianapolis, Lexington, or Louisville areas has one they would let me borrow for a few days, I'd be happy to add it to the group! :)

WatersDeep - I own an American Jazz Plus, I still personally prefer CUT for the heavier stuff with it!

Also, the track in my signature was a Jazz bass, and used one of the early beta FAT captures. It's really a preference thing, not a hard line in the sand. :)

G'day,

I just bought them and unzipped thinking 'youlittlebloodybeauty!' as us Aussies do from time to time....

Turns out it's all just WAV files?.... And I need cablab?..... I have an earlier version of Cablab but not the latest as I wont use iLock... And my old version wont connect to my XL. SHeesh. Now I'm in trouble. Can someone with Cablab please make the Ultrares IRs and send them to me?.. Happy to provide proof of purchase.

Forgive me if this is wrong... And if so, please tell me the right way to do it (without using iLock of course)

Thanks
Pauly

Just wanted to start a public Question/Answer thread in the event anybody has anything to say or may be curious to some of the features of the AMPG BASS Multi-Speaker Collection, as there are some unique things going on. I'll do my best to be prompt in response. :)

Ah
FYI I've got a way!.. My old version of Cab Lab _will_ connect to my Mk II... So I'm going through the wavs.. one at a time.. and saving as sysx... Rather be playing.

Thanks if you were trying to resolve my issue.

Pauly

[EDIT] <Sheepish Expression> Or.... convert them all by using the drop list and selecting Wav2Sysx </Sheepish Expression>

G'day,

I just bought them and unzipped thinking 'youlittlebloodybeauty!' as us Aussies do from time to time....

Turns out it's all just WAV files?.... And I need cablab?..... I have an earlier version of Cablab but not the latest as I wont use iLock... And my old version wont connect to my XL. SHeesh. Now I'm in trouble. Can someone with Cablab please make the Ultrares IRs and send them to me?.. Happy to provide proof of purchase.

Forgive me if this is wrong... And if so, please tell me the right way to do it (without using iLock of course)

Thanks
Pauly

Last edited:
G'day,

You know when you just put new strings on your favourite guitar, and plug into the Axe FX... and are just taken away by how good it sounds? Well I just had a few of those moments with my Bass... First time I've enjoyed playing Bass with the Axe FX.. Thanks a heap for these. I'm looking forward to spending some quality time with them :)

Pauly

Just wanted to start a public Question/Answer thread in the event anybody has anything to say or may be curious to some of the features of the AMPG BASS Multi-Speaker Collection, as there are some unique things going on. I'll do my best to be prompt in response. :)

pauly - If the files your old version of Cab Lab creates is accepted by your Axe-Fx, and you can get Axe-Edit to connect to it, you could use Axe Manage Cabs to drag and drop larger amounts of files over than single submission via Cab Lab/Fractal Bot.

Hope that helps, glad what you were able to get over is tickling your ears and bringing new life to your tone! :)

EDIT - just re-read, the issue was converting one at a time, not transferring, which you discovered the resolution. So I guess never mind on the above! :lol

Thanks! I've been looking forward to these for a while. I've been using the rdnzl ones for a long time now, as they're the only Ultra Res bas cabs I've come across (besides the new ML cab pack). They're good, but it's nice to have options.

I'm recording an album right now, and I have a studio date on Friday with bass and drums, so this comes at a great time for me. Although I'm a gigging bassist in addition to a guitarist, I'm not the bassist for this project. I am going to be mixing it, though, so I'll be taking DIs of the bass and reamping them with my AxeFX. I'm looking forward to trying out these in my mixes!

Back
Top Bottom