Own hammer price increase !? WTH !!??

flyingfadr

Power User
I purchased the complete own hammer library for my Ultra, when they came out, and did the upgrade when the AxeFX II came out, and the cabs were $3 each. He was VERY helpful at that time. But NOW, the cabs are $10 each !!?? WTH !! What warrants a price increase of more than 333% !!??

Guess I'll just be buying more Redwirez.. :-/

I think it is due to the fact that you get the full hi-res .wav files now and a converter to convert them to the .syx of your choice (axe-fx or axe-fx II).

I like this better personally because now I have all of the .wav files to load into my DAW for recording! But I see how it could erk some people if they only ever planned on using the .syx files.

Kevin is a really great guy. I am sure if you asked him nicely he may hook you up with the .syx files on discount - but maybe not, because then he would have to do that for everyone!

-grant

Yes, Kevin was very kind and helpful when I purchased the complete libraries, but for those of us who have no need for the complete wav files, the increase in price from $3 to $10 per cab, is a deal breaker ...

Ouch. It is Netflix all over again. :)

I was seriously looking at picking up the full set once my AFII arrived (it just did). Hopefully, he'll reinstate SYX pricing.

Perhaps someone should email Kevin and alert him to this thread?

He may be willing to accommodate customer sentiment, or at the very least he may explain his reasoning.

Maybe he had a flood. Had to alert my customers that hard drives doubled in price because of the flood in Thailand.
Who would have thought 70 % of hard drives made there. Oh wait the global speculators did and are gouging the market.

Yeah... I just bought 4 more Redwirez cabs... WOULD HAVE bought more Ownhammer cabs, but not at $10 a pop !
Ownhammer charges $10 a cab. Redwrirez charges $9. Yes, Redwirez is less expensive, but the difference is not as extreme as I first thought when reading this thread. However, they do have different discount structures for subsequent purchases. Is that the issue?

Terry.

The price went up after they stopped doing the AxeFX only versions. The WAV version have always been around this price. Still not a bad price for what you get.

Spence

Guess you could look at it as we were getting a deal as axe uses before the increase.

Hey Guys!

Got an email informing me of this thread, so figured I'd pop in for this one post.

I debated as to whether or not to respond to this thread as I see some lowbrow antagonistic remarks I don't have any interest in bickering about, so instead I'll provide some extended and hopefully enlightening info.

First, some stats.

The previous libraries looked like this:

- AX1 -

Price: $3
Unpacked File Size: roughly 0.400 MB
Total Unique IR's: 50
Total IR Files: 50

Files and Folders:

OwnHammer_Impulse_Responses
...Axe-Fx (50 files)

- AX2 -

Price: $5
Unpacked File Size: roughly 0.535 MB
Total IR Files: 50

Files and Folders:

...Axe-Fx-II (50 files)

- WAV - (original version)

Price: $7
Unpacked File Size: roughly 4.96 MB
Total IR Files: 200

Files and Folders:

...Wav
......44100-Hz_Mono (50 files)
......44100-Hz_Stereo (50 files)
......48000-Hz_Mono (50 files)
......48000-Hz_Stereo (50 files)

- WAV - (newest version)

Price: $10
Unpacked File Size: roughly 53.4 MB
Total Unique IR's: 165
Total IR Files: 1,980

Files and Folders:

...Axe-Fx (55 files)
......Fat1 (55 files)
......Fat2 (55 files)
...Axe-Fx-II (55 files)
......Fat1 (55 files)
......Fat2 (55 files)
...Wav
......44100-Hz_Mono (55 files)
.........Fat1 (55 files)
.........Fat2 (55 files)
......44100-Hz_Stereo (55 files)
.........Fat1 (55 files)
.........Fat2 (55 files)
......48000-Hz_Mono (55 files)
.........Fat1 (55 files)
.........Fat2 (55 files)
......48000-Hz_Stereo (55 files)
.........Fat1 (55 files)
.........Fat2 (55 files)
......88200-Hz_Mono (55 files)
.........Fat1 (55 files)
.........Fat2 (55 files)
......88200-Hz_Stereo (55 files)
.........Fat1 (55 files)
.........Fat2 (55 files)
......96000-Hz_Mono (55 files)
.........Fat1 (55 files)
.........Fat2 (55 files)
......96000-Hz_Stereo (55 files)
.........Fat1 (55 files)
.........Fat2 (55 files)
......Truncated
.........Axe-Fx (55 files)
............Fat1 (55 files)
............Fat2 (55 files)
.........Axe-Fx-II (55 files)
............Fat1 (55 files)
............Fat2 (55 files)

Next, some facts and sobering reality.

- All previous AX1 and AX2 libraries are still updated - I've said this before but I'll repeat it here for good measure: when I go back and update all the previous libraries to adhere to the new capture methods and file inclusions (Secret Stash, Fat1, Fat2), all 4 formats (AX1, AX2, WAV, NEB) get these new files free with the caveat that they get what is included in that package type, the WAV version of which has been significantly expanded.

- The AX2 format as a separate item came as a reflex adaptation to the surprise announcement of the Axe-Fx II. Didn't see that one coming, moving in this direction was a middle ground of the path of least resistance and what the transactional framework I am using is capable of. Eliminating these formats and including everything in the WAV package and some things in the NEB package was the final solution to this and about a dozen other issues with selling them separately - none of which are anyone's business or right to know, and not everything is centric around my operation alone, this may or may not become glaringly obvious down the road. As such I have no intentions of reinstating the SYX packages.

- To say that the feature set of the new WAV package is not worth the increase, not only in developmental costs but also in the value of added content, regardless of whether or not all features are immediately (and I say immediately because it seems an inevitability that they will be put to use) required, is a bit silly if you're being realistic.

- When I am developing a library, which is pretty much non-stop and has been as of January 2010 unless I simply cannot physically take the excessive work load without a day or two of a break, between my day job and my OwnHammer activities I work 12-15 hours a day and sleep 2-5 hours a night, including weekends. It's certainly not fun, I'd consider it more fitting of the term survival.

- I have a wife (who works full time and is going back to college for her bachelor's full time), pets, house, a 2.5 year old daughter, and 2 month old son to provide for - most all of which I almost never see because all I do is work. Forget playing guitar or writing music any more, or anything else consisting of passions, hobbies, and/or leisure activities.

- The equipment required to make these libraries, excluding room, environment, and software - hardware only - that I have had to pour every dime I had saved, am able to make, and will make for a good long time (still paying off loans and buying new gear), comes out to roughly $35,000 so far. I am not independently wealthy, I am a middle class American. The resources to fulfill this requirement are generated by nothing other than endless toil and sacrifice.

- Though us vendors make the products quick and easy to use, they are neither to create properly. If they were there would be at least a few dozen commercial IR vendors, not just a few.

- I get payment processing fees and taxes taken out of every sale I make, and there are constant residual fees associated with operating the website. With the old AX1 packages I maybe cleared $1 per library on an individual sale basis.

- I constantly spend time in email and on multiple forums answering questions, addressing issues, etc, and do not get paid for it. With what I do from 8-5 Mon-Fri, I (indirectly, as through my employer) charge anywhere typically from $3,000 to $35,000 a year to EACH customer for support.

- Prices for IR libraries are as low as what they are currently merely due to limbo line, how low can you go competitions between vendors. Any lower than what they are and they'd be freeware, and by all rights they should cost at least 3-5 times what we charge for them, ESPECIALLY considering the crucial importance they have in tone.

- Were it not for the Fractal Audio staff and community and the positive interactions I have had with members of both, at this point in the game I'd only sell Nebula libraries as my own heart lies in the recording aspects of all of this and the fantastic things I can now do with that platform without having to dive down the rabbit hole of VST programming.

Lastly, some quasi comedic yet valid perspective.

- A combo meal at a fast food drive through on average will cost you about $6.50

- A gallon of gas on average will cost you $3.50

- For that $10, you get to use what you paid for for a couple of hours before you burn it off or return it to your local water supply. You get to keep these IR libraries indefinitely and use them as long as the technology is functional, and without the carbon monoxide and methane emissions.

- You don't get frequency discounts that increase in rate with your total spent on either that lead you ultimately to an end result of permanently free afterwards like you do with purchases from my site.

- Guitar strings, and about a million other temporary things, same deal.

- Someone will pay 10 grand for guitars, Axe-Fx, monitoring, and other required accessories, but somehow feel gypped that they are required to pay $10 for an IR library that cost the vendor 3-5 fold what they're rig costs them, let alone the development time, experience, and continued support put into that product.

- I don't show up to my day job in the professional work force and expect not to be paid for my time and effort, let alone that I actually pay tens of thousands of dollars to be there, I'm sure most other people don't either. :p

Time to wrap up.

I've probably said more than what is necessary, but I wanted to address some issues here. I do not have the time or interest in debating semantics, so I don't plan on commenting or posting further on this. Right now I have a lot of cool new libraries to make and updates to do, and I need to be focusing my time and energy on that.

Though I'm sure most don't care or would prefer to remain blissfully ignorant of all of this so it makes it ever so easy to nit pick, complain, and cast judgement, this is what is behind the current pricing schemes.

Regardless of format or application origin, the positive interactions and friendships I have created as a result of this endeavor are a huge source of inspiration to keep chugging along with these libraries. To those of you who have contributed to this element, I do sincerely thank you. :)

Peace!

- Kevin

Last edited:
Please don't think the few who comment with such animosity represent the masses who know very well all the hard work and sacrifices it takes to run a business. Your IR's are worth every penny and some. Though not necessary, thank you for sharing your story. Hopefully, your dedication and efforts to bring us quality products will reward you equally.

I never worked with IRs and to be honest I obviously didn't understand most of the posts if it is about a 10$ library with somewhat 1,980 IRs in it (and a whole lot of different file formats) or if it is about one cab sim for 10$ ? ? ?
Could someone clear this up for me please? Thanks.

No ! Absolutely no antagonism intended ! As I said in the first couple posts, Kevin was very kind and more than helpful when I bought the first complete library, and even more so when the coupon came out for the upgrade to the AX2 libraries.

It's very cool that you took the time to reply and clarify... The injectednhumor is great... LOL...

What should have come across ( although with the faceless Internet, You cant see or hear the intent...) is coming back from a lengthy trip overseas, not seeing any policy or news emails, about the AX2 libraries going away, i see that there is a new cab I'd like to try, put it in my cart, thinking ok, there must be the return customer discount when you get to the checkout... ( insert buzzer sound... )... And the post here was "did I miss something, or did they just have a large price increase !?"... Yes, the initial post was frustration & irritation at the increase... Probably better suited too an email than a forum post, but... :-/

I understand your investment in both time and capital, and the explanation was cool. But I also hope you understand that there are some of us who will never use the wav libraries, or convolution plugins, and only wish to use them with the AxeFX II... so while the additional wav files are a cool addition, the additional price for something we won't use, seems like a penalty... Especially when we've bought the complete library up to that point. No animosity intended, just speaking plainly as a free market consumer. Thank you for your hard work in creating cool new tools for us to shape sounds with !

No worries, no offense taken, hopefully none given as well. :)

For whatever it's worth, I do understand and empathize with your point, which is why I did sell the files separately in the beginning. There are, unfortunately, a great many complications that came as a result of operating that way, and to rectify them as well as create a more future friendly presentation it was necessary to move to the current arrangement. When I made the change I fully expected a degree of backlash, however knowing what I know on my experiences so far and knowledge I have of the future it was unavoidable. Barring certain events that may or may not come to pass, this will become crystal clear to everyone, though I cannot expound upon this further at this time.

Touching on another topic brought up in your last post, for whatever reason email filters can be somewhat touchy with my Newsletters. My big announcement I made which unveiled the PRO series I noticed in one of my personal Gmail accounts that I have subscribed it ended up filtered to junk/spam. I can only guess it was because of all of the links present in the message as I never had that problem with that mail service before. That said, there are two ways to make more certain you get the memo on updates, news, and whatnot:

- Add newsletter (at) ownhammer (dot) com to your safe senders list.
- Check the new forum, I have an official news section, random blurbs, and a development calendar on there as well.

I apologize for being required to be a bit obfuscatory with some of the details, but hopefully this helped clear things up a little bit further. :)

Perhaps someone should email Kevin and alert him to this thread?

He may be willing to accommodate customer sentiment, or at the very least he may explain his reasoning.

See what happens when people do the smart thing?

Reactions: jon
Kevin, has always been an amazing person to deal with. Top notch products and services. He even helped me get a nice cab selection when i was doing a Def Leppard cover that i think turned out fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom